Photos of "Caribbean Hideaways" Cruise on the Riviera ~ 1/3/13 - 1/13/13

HeatherInFlorida

Heather,

Great photos and great review as well. A couple of questions if you don't mind. We're in 7133, same as 7128 but on the starboard side. I've read on the boards of concerns that the butler service may be slow because there are only 4 PHs on deck 7 and they are aft. Did you experience this? Also, it appears that your balcony has chairs instead of loungers like the ones at the pool. Do you know if they were available? Or perhaps you weren't interested in them.

We were in an extended balcony (7110) on the Marina and never thought to ask for the loungers. With that huge balcony (7133) we would love to have them. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Paul

Hi Paul ... I had heard we could request the loungers and I'm sure that's true, but we didn't because on the way south it was a little too chilly out there, very windy. On the way back we had the sun and it was too warm to lie there and read. I took the shade instead. But I'm positive they will bring them for you. In fact the cabin next to ours had them and that's a standard verandah cabin. You will have the chairs and small table as well and the chairs are very comfy ... they recline way back and they're high enough so your head is against the back.

I hadn't read about the concerns about the butler, but i did think about it. On the other hand I had no plans to really use him. So we may not be a fair test, but I can say that when I called he was there within 10 minutes, usually sooner. The service elevators are not all that far so it's a simple up/down. He even came with appetizers a couple of nights we didn't order them. He kept telling us whatever we wanted, he was there for us.

We had him bring coffee and croissants at a different time every morning and he was always there right on the dot. They promise within 15 minutes, but I could set my watch by him. And I never felt he was rushing us. I told him early on that I wanted plenty of Diet Coke and it was always there. And he cleared our breakfast dishes very quickly.

I think you'll love the location. You can just run down to the dining room, or Reception/Destinations. I would take that location again if available, but we did opt for Deck 10 on our next cruise. I wouldn't want to be on 11 under the pool and that huge overhang.

Have a great time! I know you will :).

• 2 weeks later...

First, your pictures were wonderful. My husband and myself love Oceania and we have your trip booked for March of 2014. We generally do our own thing by doing excursions with other cruise critic friends. Did you do any on your own or did you book with the ship? The snorkel cruise looked wonderful and would like the name of the company if you booked on your own.

Carol

Carol, we booked both our tours through Oceania. Neither of them were snorkel trips so I'm not sure which one you mean unless you looked at photos from another cruise or possibly you meant he catamaran tour. That was the Lobster & Champagne Catamaran tour on Antigua.

Have a wonderful time! I honestly don't think you can go wrong with Oceania. We're back on her in January to do the Mayan Mystique!:)

Yes, that is the one I was talking about. It looked wonderful. I thought since it was on a catamaran that perhaps people were able to also snorkel?

Carol

No. We were at the first beach very briefly and the second beach it was too rough to dock on shore. I suppose if you brought your own snorkel gear you might get some brief time for snorkelling, but I don't think this is an ideal tour for that. I do recommend it though!

We stopped snorkelling in the Caribbean after we were spoiled unmercifully by snorkelling in French Polynesia especially Bora Bora. For us snorkelling back here was just never the same so we don't anymore:)

Heather,

I had been on the Marina and just love Oceania. I sent your pictures to my good friends who will be joining us on their "first" Oceania cruise this upcoming December to the Caribbean. I wanted them to see for themselves what I had been raving about (I get to sound like a broken record). The pictures show how wonderful Oceania is.

Showed my hubby and he said, "keep that site" so we can go back and look at them before our cruise.

Happy cruising and thanks again!

Following up on my recent review, my photos will likely be more interesting to those who haven't cruised on the Riviera, but I'm sure there are still many who haven't and I took many pictures of the ship itself as well as our cabin.

Photography along with writing is my passion though I am an amateur at both. Still, I have cut 850 photos down to about 590 and I edit every one. Each is part of my soul.

So I offer them not only for those who have not enjoyed the Riviera yet, but also for those who may want to remember :).

I hope you enjoy them:https://plus.google.com/photos/106137413221576546805/albums/5838253184812976721

Hi Heather,

Just wanted to thank you so much for posting your Riviera, Caribbean Hideaways pictures!! We really enjoyed them as we are sailing the same itinerary on 3/28/13 and are in PH1 cabin 11035. This is our first Oceania cruise and for me - I love to find out as much about a trip as possible. Also, from the looks of it we both like to take lots of pictures!:)

I also found your YouTube video that you took of the rough seas. That is a big concern of mine. As this is our 13th cruise we are more use to sailing on much larger ships and have had a few very rough trips. Can you tell me how the ship handled those seas - were you queezy/sick? I am a subcriber to Bonine pills which help me a lot but as I mention - this ship is pretty small and would love to get your thoughts.

Also, I didn't see any pictures of the Executive Lounge and wondered if you used it at all and what you thought. Our cabin is just across from it on deck 11. We are traveling with out best friends who are right next door.

One last question (could go on forever :o) Was wondering if our Butler would be able to serve dinnerfor the 4 of us in one of our cabins or is there enough room?

Ok I lied - as far as the MD seating - did you have to wait to get a table and were you able to tell them where you would like to be seated? We have already reserved our specialty dining which we are looking forward to.

We do have one cooking class reserved and 4 excursions with the cruise line and would like to hear anything you could say on those topics. Or anything else you liked or didn't like, ie; entertainment, Terrace Cafe for breakfast or dinner etc.

We are also from FL (Leesburg) and are driving over the morning of the cruise. We are parking at the Cruise Terminal and I think I saw a picture of it on your "tour" - if so, can you tell me how that went for you?

So sorry for all the questions but it isn't that easy to find someone who has sailed on the exact itinerary, ship and cabin that you are going on so I do hope you under stand.

Thank you, in advance, for all your thoughts and again - just loved your pictures!!!!

29 Days and Counting!!! B & C :) :D

B&C, you will love the Riviera and no cause for alarm about seas. You must have found a video someone else posted, but not from our cruise! Our seas were relatively calm throughout. A little motion, but I love the feeling of being rocked to sleep. I didn't even put on my sea bands. I often use Bonine, too, if I fear rough seas but didn't need them on this cruise.

Of course there are no guarantees and you never know when it's going to get rough. But I didn't consider the ship all that small ... certainly smaller than some of the larger ones. But at the end of the day if you're on a ship in really rough weather the difference between a very large ship and one this size in very small. In other words, if it's really rough, you're going to rock;).

We're in 10052 just down the hall from you on our next cruise. I didn't want to be on 11 because that's right under the overhang and under the pool so I think you'll be happy with that choice.

I did go in the Executive Lounge 2 or 3 times. I guess the reason you saw no pictures is I was unimpressed. It's a very nice room, but it's inside and there was nothing there I found inviting. I guess it's nice for a quick snack or coffee, but I probably won't even go there next time. Between you and me;), I think that deck isn't all that inviting to people so they put the really nice cabins and added the Exec Lounge to entice people to choose it. Nothing there for me. There were never more than 2 or 3 people in there that I saw.

Certainly 4 of you could eat casually in your suite, but the table is very small and 4 people couldn't sit around it. But the coffee table is larger so 2 people could sit on the couch and the other two in chairs if you want to do that.

We never waited to be be seated in the MDR. We usually went between 6:30 and 7:00. We never said where we wanted to sit, just that we'd lie to share. We loved the MDR. You will end up having a hard time deciding where to eat because The Terrace is equally inviting. Don't even think "buffet"; it's not like any buffet you've ever encountered!

As for some of your other questions, did you read my review? There's a link in my signature. I talk about the 2 tours we did, the dining, etc. I signed up for 2 cooking classes and hate to admit it, but I canceled one and ditched the other. It was on our last day and I just couldn't fit in the time.

If you have any other questions at all I'm more than happy to answer them so fire away. This is a topic I never tire of!!! :)

B&C, you will love the Riviera and no cause for alarm about seas. You must have found a video someone else posted, but not from our cruise! Our seas were relatively calm throughout. A little motion, but I love the feeling of being rocked to sleep. I didn't even put on my sea bands. I often use Bonine, too, if I fear rough seas but didn't need them on this cruise.

Of course there are no guarantees and you never know when it's going to get rough. But I didn't consider the ship all that small ... certainly smaller than some of the larger ones. But at the end of the day if you're on a ship in really rough weather the difference between a very large ship and one this size in very small. In other words, if it's really rough, you're going to rock;).

We're in 10052 just down the hall from you on our next cruise. I didn't want to be on 11 because that's right under the overhang and under the pool so I think you'll be happy with that choice.

I did go in the Executive Lounge 2 or 3 times. I guess the reason you saw no pictures is I was unimpressed. It's a very nice room, but it's inside and there was nothing there I found inviting. I guess it's nice for a quick snack or coffee, but I probably won't even go there next time. Between you and me;), I think that deck isn't all that inviting to people so they put the really nice cabins and added the Exec Lounge to entice people to choose it. Nothing there for me. There were never more than 2 or 3 people in there that I saw.

Certainly 4 of you could eat casually in your suite, but the table is very small and 4 people couldn't sit around it. But the coffee table is larger so 2 people could sit on the couch and the other two in chairs if you want to do that.

We never waited to be be seated in the MDR. We usually went between 6:30 and 7:00. We never said where we wanted to sit, just that we'd lie to share. We loved the MDR. You will end up having a hard time deciding where to eat because The Terrace is equally inviting. Don't even think "buffet"; it's not like any buffet you've ever encountered!

As for some of your other questions, did you read my review? There's a link in my signature. I talk about the 2 tours we did, the dining, etc. I signed up for 2 cooking classes and hate to admit it, but I canceled one and ditched the other. It was on our last day and I just couldn't fit in the time.

If you have any other questions at all I'm more than happy to answer them so fire away. This is a topic I never tire of!!! :)

Heather, thank you - thank you - thank you so very much for all your great info. I love hearing all about the Riviera and all she has to offer. Enjoyed all your great descriptions and we can't wait till we step on board. 23 days and counting!!:D Again, thanks for all your great information and if you think of anything else you feel like sharing I'd love to hear about it! B & C :) :D

Archived