If this was Carnival that had cancelled....

K.T.B.

Apparently, Celebrity Summit had to cancel their June 3rd Alaskan cruise because of faulty propulsion. Read about it here.

Anyway, for the most part people have seemed to be bummed, a few very upset, but for the most part very forgiving. Now can you imagine had this been a Carnival ship what people would be saying...?

I just find it rather interesting how people view each individual cruiseline's problems.

:cool:

Apparently, Celebrity Summit had to cancel their June 3rd Alaskan cruise because of faulty propulsion. Read about it here.

Anyway, for the most part people have seemed to be bummed, a few very upset, but for the most part very forgiving. Now can you imagine had this been a Carnival ship what people would be saying...?

I just find it rather interesting how people view each individual cruiseline's problems.

:cool:

Shhhh! We dont say propulsion problems here!

Weve had our fair share already this year. Glory,Ecstasy.

is that Celebrity actually cancelled the cruise. They didn't try to go out and limp around in the Gulf. They are fixing the problem even though it is costing them the revenue from this sailing. Big difference in MHO!

Exactly-Celebrity cancelled the cruise due to a known problem and is refunding money and giving a free cruise. People are out very little. A cruise line should be upfront aBOUT THE PROBLEM AND NOT TRY TO MAKE DUE. yIKES- hIT CAPS by mistake twice.

The problem with the Celebrity propulsion on the Millie class ships has been going on since Celebrity took delivery of the ships. RCI is now suing the shipyard and manufactures of the pods. They were defective and have cost the cruise line a bunch of money over the years in cancelled cruises.

May 29: Royal Caribbean Cruises reports it is facing more problems with the pod propulsion system fitted on its Celebrity ships. Celebrity Cruises has filed a US$300m lawsuit against French shipbuilder Alstom and UK engine builder Rolls Royce, claiming faulty propulsion systems were installed on SUMMIT, INFINITY, MILLENIUM and CONSTELLATION.

The 2001-built SUMMIT will cancel an Alaskan cruise for an unscheduled drydocking to replace a radial bearing unit that is showing premature wear.

SUMMIT will go to Washington Marine's Victoria Shipyard drydock in Vancouver from June 2 until June 10. Royal Caribbean's earnings for the first half of 2005 were already hit by the unscheduled dry docking of the INFINITY to replace a bearing in the driveline. Source: Maritime Matters

is that Celebrity actually cancelled the cruise. They didn't try to go out and limp around in the Gulf. They are fixing the problem even though it is costing them the revenue from this sailing. Big difference in MHO!

It was an ALASKAN cruise. Rather pointless if you can't get anywhere near a glacier.

Wheras a Caribbian cruise is about fun in the sun and can be done anywhere.

If this 'X' cruise was a caribbean cruise it probably would have gone ahead. 'X' has had as many or more problems with prop then Carnival can you tell us of another cruise they cancelled.

Just the facts m'am

As I said....... :D

I'm pretty sure they HAVE been limping for a quite a while and they are fixing the problem now.

ooops...cruisingator..just saw your response

And yes Kevin...you were right. ;) as you said... :rolleyes:

Cancel a cruise because of engine trouble? Not. The only engine trouble I'd agree to that would cancel, or delay, my cruise would be the engine on the airplane flying me in; I would be happy to set in port or get pulled out to sea on the ship. :) Now if the ship were taking on water....just head to a shallow area and keep the kitchen and bars running and I'd be OK with that too. :D

Celebrity did have to cancel several cruises in the past with their Millenium class ships. I am not sure which ones but there were quite a few. I also am not sure how they handled the problem. Their Century class vessels were not so hot either. When we were on the Galaxy, the whole rear of the ship vibrated. Our waiter showed us a section of tables where the silver and china would literally vibrate off the table. They put a special pad on those tables to act as an isolator. Also, the Children's center on the rear shook like a wet puppy on a cold day. I still loved the ship but am glad my cabin was forward.

had propulsion problems for years, and trust me, when they surfaced when the M class ships came out, there WAS a riot. If you were on the X boards at that time you would have witnessed it.

Thing is, then and now, they compensated their pax generously, giving them FULL refunds plus free or discounted future cruises. Absolutely wonderful compensation back then, research it. They still do a great job of compensating their pax.

If this 'X' cruise was a caribbean cruise it probably would have gone ahead. 'X' has had as many or more problems with prop then Carnival can you tell us of another cruise they cancelled.

Just the facts m'am

Check those facts again. Celebrity can and did cancel caribbean cruises, specifically the Infinity in 2003....check the ancient threads or do a search on infinity propulsion....

had propulsion problems for years, and trust me, when they surfaced when the M class ships came out, there WAS a riot. If you were on the X boards at that time you would have witnessed it.

Thing is, then and now, they compensated their pax generously, giving them FULL refunds plus free or discounted future cruises. Absolutely wonderful compensation back then, research it. They still do a great job of compensating their pax.

Carnival does have issues with consistency in compensation.

Now can you imagine had this been a Carnival ship what people would be saying...?

Yes I can and I imagine UBs email box would have exceeded it's limit. :rolleyes:

Check those facts again. Celebrity can and did cancel caribbean cruises, specifically the Infinity in 2003....check the ancient threads or do a search on infinity propulsion....

prob·a·bly

Pronunciation: 'prä-b&-blE, 'prä(b)-blE

Function: adverb

: insofar as seems reasonably true, factual, or to be expected : without much doubt <is probably happy> <it will probably rain>

Like I said, Celebrity did not probably, or even remotely, go ahead with those caribbean cruises. They cancelled them.

I understand perfectly well what probably means. What I don't understand is why that wasn't obvious to you.:confused:

They cancelled an Infinity cruise just a couple months ago. It was a Hawaiian cruise.

There has actually been a number of Millie class ships sailings cancelled over the years. It won't change unless RCI can make the shipyard fix the pods with new ones. Again at least Celebrity is making good to the passengers for their discomfort.

See previous comment re: Alaska My point was that it, and obviously Hawaii would be impossible to continue.

And BTW, it seems that Celebrity Passengers aren't that happy:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=187132[/quote]

I read the thread by the OP and this is what Celebrity gave them for returning one day early from their cruise. It's obvious that the OP did not like what was offered.

"Then comes the "compensation." First, $300 credit for each stateroom whether you were in a CC room or an inside room. The Celebrity rep told us that was to cover expenses incurred by us due to the change (e.g., meals in Vancouver, etc.). Second, $200 for either flight change or Vancouver hotel room. Third, 25% off future North America cruise of 7 days or less taken by June 2006, which is supposed to "reimburse" us for the lost day of cruising."

I call that a pretty good deal considering that these people only lost one day of their cruise. A total of $500.00 per cabin and 25% off a future cruise. Let's ask the cruisers of the Glory what they got from Carnival for the week of floating around the Caribbean.

Archived