1 day in Rome Hop Hop?

mommykim

I have exactly 1 day in Rome and would like to see as much of it as I can but not spend more money than I have to. I am wondering if you would recommend the Hop Hop and if so if there is an order you suggest going and seeing thing? I will be there April 22 if that matters.

Kim

If you are physically able, it's better to walk in Rome. The two sites that are the furthest from one another, and everything else, are the Colosseum and the Vatican (Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's). With the money you save by not purchasing the HOHO bus ticket, you can afford a taxi if you want, or you can use the buses.

I'm assuming that when you say you want to see as much as possible, you mean "see" more than just a quick look from a bus seat, right? Because that's what you'll mostly get from the Hop-on/Hop-off bus.... And some sights, like Trevi Fountain, you won't be able to see from the bus at all.

With only a day, you really don't have time to get off the bus at each stop, see what you want to see and then wait for the bus to come back and take you to the next stop. Traffic in the central historic area is very slow, and you might wait a long time for the next bus, which will eat up your precious minutes.

Your best bet is to pick a reasonable number of things to see, then make yourself a good plan for the day.

Here's a link to a good description of someone who had a very good plan and a successful day in Rome at minimal cost:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518706

The good thing about the time of year you will be in Rome is that it won't be unreasonably warm, so walking around should be a pleasure.

P.S. I just re-read your post and realized you're not clear whether you're coming from the ship for the day (which I initially assumed) or whether you have a day in Rome before meeting the ship. If it's the latter, you will gain a little more time, but I still wouldn't take the HOHO bus.

P.S. I just re-read your post and realized you're not clear whether you're coming from the ship for the day (which I initially assumed) or whether you have a day in Rome before meeting the ship. If it's the latter, you will gain a little more time, but I still wouldn't take the HOHO bus.

I will actually be on Rome for 1 full day. The day we get off the ship I am doing a tour of Pompeii. This would be day 2 off the ship and I do want to actually see and experience, not just drive by things. If it is best to hire a tour that is what I will do. I just do not want to waste $.

I will actually be on Rome for 1 full day. The day we get off the ship I am doing a tour of Pompeii. This would be day 2 off the ship and I do want to actually see and experience, not just drive by things. If it is best to hire a tour that is what I will do. I just do not want to waste $.

You don't need to hire a private tour if you do some planning. Honest, you don't! :)

Rome's hop-on buses are far from ideal, even if you don't have to rush back to Civi for a sailing.

We did it over a 24hr period during an extended post-cruise stop-over in Rome.

Ho-ho buses don't go near the Trevi or Spanish Steps.

They do spend an inordinate amount of time stuck in traffic going to, hanging about at, and leaving from Termini station, a popular pick-up point with no sights of significance in the area.

Each bus also waits at the Vatican for 10-15 minutes.

Plus every time you get off, you might have to wait up to 15 minutes for the next ho-ho to come along.

And although we used several buses, most times we had to share earpieces cos of broken equipment. Many others have reported similar failings.

Other than the Vatican, which is just a little out-on-a-limb & might be worth a taxi hop, the major sights are pretty walkable with plenty of interest on the way.

JB :)

Archived