Both 7 mile beach & Sting Ray Sandbar same day?

kawamida

Obviously a newbie question: 1st time cruisers with both my tweens and my mid-70 y.o. parents in tow. Want to hit Sting Ray Sandbar with the kids. Will we have enough time to drop off the grandparents at 7 mile beach and then head out to sting ray sand bar with the kids during a 1 day port of call (Carnival Freedom)?

If so, how can I make arrangments to do so? I understand the oldies will be safe & sound as G. Cayman is virtually crime free.

Also, is there any good local food (ie. non-touristy spot where the locals eat) that I could work into this 1 day itinerary? Thanks in advance for holding this newbie's hand!

Do you want to do both Sting Ray City & 7 mile beach? Or two sets of people doing those things? A bit tight on time if the former.

You might want to send your folks to Royal Palms. They can take a mini-bus, or a cab. Google it for details.

As I suspected Colorado Kat. Thx for the tip. I'm thinking I will convince everyone to go on the catamaran together to Stingray Sandbar. Maybe that's all we'll have time for?

Seems like this is going to be a togetherness trip, especially when in POCs. Will just plan accordingly. I'm the overbooker, so will control the urge to try and squeeze it all in.

I'm just reading now that lines to get back aboard can be long and hot. Especially where tenders are involved (esp Carnival in Georgetown). Definitely don't want to do that! Any tips on best ways to avoid lining up are appreciated... with dollops of newbie thanks on top!

The thing is stingray sand bar is only reachable by boat. You don't drive anywhere on your way. But it's easy to get on a bus and go to the public beach.

As far as a place for lunch most everything is set up for tourists. Locals go to the places the tourists go to, usually when the cruise ships have gone for the day. Paradise right by where you tender is very nice. Try the smoothies and conch fritters.

The thing is stingray sand bar is only reachable by boat. You don't drive anywhere on your way. But it's easy to get on a bus and go to the public beach.

As far as a place for lunch most everything is set up for tourists. Locals go to the places the tourists go to, usually when the cruise ships have gone for the day. Paradise right by where you tender is very nice. Try the smoothies and conch fritters.

Conch! YUMMY!! Thanks Deb922

So I wonder if I am dreaming when I hope that I can walk off the Carnival tender in at 9am, chat up someone with a van to take all 6 of us to Stingray Sand Bar for a few hours (reasonable time?) then to the lunch/beach

for a couple hours and back to the port for 2pm.

Is this crazy talk? THX ALL for setting me straight??

So I wonder if I am dreaming when I hope that I can walk off the Carnival tender in at 9am, chat up someone with a van to take all 6 of us to Stingray Sand Bar for a few hours (reasonable time?) then to the lunch/beach

There are often tours available at the port area when you arrive. Quality may or may not be good, depending on how pre-booked the operators are. (Some of the more popular tour operators may not be at the port area if there's lots of ships that day, since they will have pre-filled their tours with advance bookings.) These tours range from about $25-60pp depending on what's included (ie. other snorkel stops).

The driver will take you to a dock area away from the port, where you will board a boat to take you to Stingray City and back. That same driver could easily FOR NO EXTRA COST drop you off at one of the beach areas like Royal Palms instead of the port. Then you could take a taxi back to the port after lunch and a swim.

There are often tours available at the port area when you arrive. Quality may or may not be good, depending on how pre-booked the operators are. (Some of the more popular tour operators may not be at the port area if there's lots of ships that day, since they will have pre-filled their tours with advance bookings.) These tours range from about $25-60pp depending on what's included (ie. other snorkel stops).

The driver will take you to a dock area away from the port, where you will board a boat to take you to Stingray City and back. That same driver could easily FOR NO EXTRA COST drop you off at one of the beach areas like Royal Palms instead of the port. Then you could take a taxi back to the port after lunch and a swim.

Thanks for that, bookbabe. I will check the port and see how busy it looks that day. We will likely take our chances with the tours on the day of and do what we can. Will be sure to mention our intentions before we agree to do any tour.

Can anyone tell me how long a snorkel tour to Stingray Sandbar generally lasts and what the transit times might be like? Do you take a catamaran or a sailboat out there? THANKS all!! This is all so great to know for a newcomer like me who is trying to keep the group smiling on this trip.

I would highly recommend Stingray Sailings to take you to stingray city via their catamaran. Me and the hubster went last September and had such a great time, that we are returning in April with our 4 kids, ages 16-7. This is a great way to go, as there are FAR less people (there were only 6 other people on our tour that day) giving much more personalized time. I couldn't believe how large the groups were who book through the cruise line. All gathered around trying to feed the rays and get pictures taken and such. And then there was are little group. Without feeling rushed we had plenty of time to play with the rays.

On the way back to the boat, THEY even suggested that we let them drop us off at Seven Mile Beach, as we still had a couple of hours before we had to be back on ship. So if you go with a smaller tour group. You can definately do both.

We went with Moby Dick and left the port at about 9:30am. Spent a few hours snorkeling and swimming with the sting rays, then on the way back had the option of being dropped off at 7 mile beach for a couple of hours. Note: you're on your own to get back to the dock from 7 mile beach. Plenty of taxi's, however.

I would highly recommend Stingray Sailings to take you to stingray city via their catamaran. Me and the hubster went last September and had such a great time, that we are returning in April with our 4 kids, ages 16-7. This is a great way to go, as there are FAR less people (there were only 6 other people on our tour that day) giving much more personalized time. I couldn't believe how large the groups were who book through the cruise line. All gathered around trying to feed the rays and get pictures taken and such. And then there was are little group. Without feeling rushed we had plenty of time to play with the rays.

On the way back to the boat, THEY even suggested that we let them drop us off at Seven Mile Beach, as we still had a couple of hours before we had to be back on ship. So if you go with a smaller tour group. You can definately do both.

bre, it is so nice to hear from someone who's done it recently. Good tip on the tour op. Smaller group is definitely better. Good to know you weren't rushed. I am REALLY looking forward to this experience!! Maybe we'll do like you and go back in 6 months!! ;)

We went with Moby Dick and left the port at about 9:30am. Spent a few hours snorkeling and swimming with the sting rays, then on the way back had the option of being dropped off at 7 mile beach for a couple of hours. Note: you're on your own to get back to the dock from 7 mile beach. Plenty of taxi's, however.

edmusic, so just wondering, did you decide to go to 7 mile beach? It looks beautiful and I'm thinking would be worth the taxi ride back.

Just wondering if you hit up a resort for a couple hours, or rented chairs/umbrellas somewhere, or if there are shady spots to lay a towel on the public beach area and just conk out after the excitement of the morning?

thanks for sharing your insights... :cool:

You can definitely do both. I would either send the grandparents straight to Royal Palms (they can take a taxi right from port) and you can do a Stingray City Tour and have the company drop you off at Royal Palms on your way back to meet up with them.

Last year we used Capt Marvins to take a trip to Stingray City and Snorkel. We were done are 1pm (left at 10am already had most of our shopping done). We had the driver drop us off at Royal Palms on the way back to Port and we spend a couple hours at the beach before grabbing a taxi back to port, very easy! I would see if the grandparents want to come to Stingray City. They could watch you from the boat while the kids see the stingrays and its a beautiful ride out there and pretty inexpensive at $40 a person.

Have fun!

You can definitely do both. I would either send the grandparents straight to Royal Palms (they can take a taxi right from port) and you can do a Stingray City Tour and have the company drop you off at Royal Palms on your way back to meet up with them.

Last year we used Capt Marvins to take a trip to Stingray City and Snorkel. We were done are 1pm (left at 10am already had most of our shopping done). We had the driver drop us off at Royal Palms on the way back to Port and we spend a couple hours at the beach before grabbing a taxi back to port, very easy! I would see if the grandparents want to come to Stingray City. They could watch you from the boat while the kids see the stingrays and its a beautiful ride out there and pretty inexpensive at $40 a person.

Have fun!

SkiQueen2007, that is great news. Yes, we are all about the fun. My parents are a bit nervous, probably best if we all stay together, and I'm sure they'd love the boat ride (not a catamaran with Capt Marvin?). I will check out Royal Palms, sounds cushy! Super tips, thanks!

Did anyone use the public beach at 7 mile? How is that for a couple hours??:confused:

We got off the Conquest about 7:45 and walked the 2 blocks to Captain Marvin's took the 8:30 departure to Sting Ray City and then a snorkeling thing - and were back at the pier by about 11: 30 ---then nice lunch at one of the places right around the pier. We had a great time!

Obviously a newbie question: 1st time cruisers with both my tweens and my mid-70 y.o. parents in tow. Want to hit Sting Ray Sandbar with the kids. Will we have enough time to drop off the grandparents at 7 mile beach and then head out to sting ray sand bar with the kids during a 1 day port of call (Carnival Freedom)?

If so, how can I make arrangments to do so? I understand the oldies will be safe & sound as G. Cayman is virtually crime free.

Also, is there any good local food (ie. non-touristy spot where the locals eat) that I could work into this 1 day itinerary? Thanks in advance for holding this newbie's hand!

I LOVE the Caymans. Georgetown is a great port - although I wish they would build a pier so we don't have to tender. There are some terrific private tour operators within about two blocks of the port. I like Captain Marvin's ( closest) and Moby Dick and some others that I can't remember the names of. All of them are much cheaper than the ships excursions - and they will ALL get you back in plenty of time for departure. I am about your parent's age and LOVED taking the boat out to the StingRays with the grands - I thought the port area was very clean, and safe to walk around in. And we had a great lunch

edmusic, so just wondering, did you decide to go to 7 mile beach? It looks beautiful and I'm thinking would be worth the taxi ride back.

Just wondering if you hit up a resort for a couple hours, or rented chairs/umbrellas somewhere, or if there are shady spots to lay a towel on the public beach area and just conk out after the excitement of the morning?

thanks for sharing your insights... :cool:

Kawamida - we did not get off at the 7 mile beach drop off. We decided to head back to the ship, shower, and relax a bit. On a side note, the driver from Moby Dick said if we got off and went to such-and-such restaurant and told them Moby Dick Tours recommended them, we'd get a free appetizer. As their specialty is fish 'n chips, which I love, I still regret not getting off at 7 mile beach :)

We loved Grand Cayman and believe you will too. The visit to Stingray City is one of the highlights of my life!

Yes, we are all about the fun. My parents are a bit nervous, probably best if we all stay together, and I'm sure they'd love the boat ride (not a catamaran with Capt Marvin?). I will check out Royal Palms, sounds cushy! Super tips, thanks!

Did anyone use the public beach at 7 mile? How is that for a couple hours??:confused:

Probably smart to all stay together. Royal Palms is very nice. Just wanted to point out that the swimming pool is adults only. Kids can swim in the ocean in front.

The public beach is very nice. There are lots of spots to rent chairs & shade umbrellas. Enjoy!

Lots of good info in the thread, agree with all of it, just a couple of things I didn't see mentioned that you may want to be aware of....

First off, the cabs in cayman are annoying unless you can fill one up with your party. They are mostly vans, and the drivers will try their best to fill it all the way up before they leave the port. I had to threaten to get out before our driver gave up and took us and another couple onto our destination after waiting nearly 15 minutes. Time is precious on Cayman because you're usually not there long. For the Stingrays you're better off with a ship provided excursion. A tip to the driver will usually get you dropped off wherever you want on the way back as long as it is on the way (they ALL go by wa of 7 mile beach).

You mentioned the lines to get on the tenders. Valid concern. Arrive at the port 90 minutes before sailaway and you're going to find that the line wraps around the habor for about 1/4 mile. No exaggeration. Good news is the line does move quickly, I'd say it took us maybe 15-20 minutes tops. But if it's hot, grab a bottle of water before getting in line.

Lots of good info in the thread, agree with all of it, just a couple of things I didn't see mentioned that you may want to be aware of....

First off, the cabs in cayman are annoying unless you can fill one up with your party. They are mostly vans, and the drivers will try their best to fill it all the way up before they leave the port. I had to threaten to get out before our driver gave up and took us and another couple onto our destination after waiting nearly 15 minutes. Time is precious on Cayman because you're usually not there long. For the Stingrays you're better off with a ship provided excursion. A tip to the driver will usually get you dropped off wherever you want on the way back as long as it is on the way (they ALL go by wa of 7 mile beach).

You mentioned the lines to get on the tenders. Valid concern. Arrive at the port 90 minutes before sailaway and you're going to find that the line wraps around the habor for about 1/4 mile. No exaggeration. Good news is the line does move quickly, I'd say it took us maybe 15-20 minutes tops. But if it's hot, grab a bottle of water before getting in line.

ThorHiney, thanks for the tenders info. Your tips valuable!! Glad to hear the line moves along, but what a drag. With 5 ships in port the day we are there I think we'll try for 2 hrs before sailaway, with water bottles in hand! :cool:

Question: of the 5 ships in port that day, we are 1 of 2 Carnival cruises. Do all 5 ships use the SAME LINE and same tenders? Just trying to estimate what kind of cluster up we are going to be facing. FINGERS CROSSSED!!!

Kawamida - we did not get off at the 7 mile beach drop off. We decided to head back to the ship, shower, and relax a bit. On a side note, the driver from Moby Dick said if we got off and went to such-and-such restaurant and told them Moby Dick Tours recommended them, we'd get a free appetizer. As their specialty is fish 'n chips, which I love, I still regret not getting off at 7 mile beach :)

We loved Grand Cayman and believe you will too. The visit to Stingray City is one of the highlights of my life!

edmusic, we will take your advice and hit the beach if at all possible! I've seen the photos and every beach looks like paradise. Can't wait!!

Checked out Moby Dick, thanks for that tip. We have booked with them as they seemed the best choice with our oldies and teens (small group, drinks, facilities on board). Immediate reply, so far so good!! VERY EXCITED :)

I LOVE the Caymans. Georgetown is a great port - although I wish they would build a pier so we don't have to tender. There are some terrific private tour operators within about two blocks of the port. I like Captain Marvin's ( closest) and Moby Dick and some others that I can't remember the names of. All of them are much cheaper than the ships excursions - and they will ALL get you back in plenty of time for departure. I am about your parent's age and LOVED taking the boat out to the StingRays with the grands - I thought the port area was very clean, and safe to walk around in. And we had a great lunch

dave_k63, Moby Dick keeps getting recommended so I've booked them, THX for the info!! I know GC is going to be easy and relaxing. My prob is trying to cram it all into our short little PoC day, esp with 5 ships in port! Good to know it is easy to get lunch near the port if we are short on time. Do you have a favorite spot? I was hoping to just hit the Moby Dick bus driver up for suggestions on a good local favorite for seafood.... wanted to try the eco-farmed green sea turtle and maybe some conch. Food adventure!! :p

Kawamida - to answer your question about all the ships using the same tenders, it may not be an issue. Our ship, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, used the lifeboats to tender folks to and fro and I believe all the ships do the same; use their own lifeboats.

Now when we were there, there was only one other ship in port with us. I can't imagine having 5 ships there at the same time, but I guess it may not be that unusual.

I've attached a few photos of StingRay City with Moby Dick. And here is a YouTube video of me and the stingrays:

They stop first at a reef for those who want to snorkel. You don't have to, but many did. One of there crew members even dives down and pulls up a moray eel. Very cool!

BTW, the water is close to 80 degrees. You won't feel cold at all. Have fun!!

CIMG2982.jpg.27dc6d73377b8c732981e0782e723eb0.jpg

CIMG2997.jpg.6b634a9c6c0c4fc230896f7ad019e0f7.jpg

CIMG3006.jpg.2aa2acec34a8636867fdd565715edc4f.jpg

CIMG3004.jpg.c9fd2cde8f1e5a415d00a106aeb6a941.jpg

CIMG2986.jpg.e4ab91c0f30fb67a0ea5743be1d07f75.jpg

Probably smart to all stay together. Royal Palms is very nice. Just wanted to point out that the swimming pool is adults only. Kids can swim in the ocean in front.

The public beach is very nice. There are lots of spots to rent chairs & shade umbrellas. Enjoy!

OK, Colorado Kat, thanks again for all the info! Sounds heavenly!!!

Kawamida - to answer your question about all the ships using the same tenders, it may not be an issue. Our ship, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, used the lifeboats to tender folks to and fro and I believe all the ships do the same; use their own lifeboats.

Now when we were there, there was only one other ship in port with us. I can't imagine having 5 ships there at the same time, but I guess it may not be that unusual.

I've attached a few photos of StingRay City with Moby Dick. And here is a YouTube video of me and the stingrays:

They stop first at a reef for those who want to snorkel. You don't have to, but many did. One of there crew members even dives down and pulls up a moray eel. Very cool!

BTW, the water is close to 80 degrees. You won't feel cold at all. Have fun!!

80F in the water!! It's -5c here today in Toronto... sounds like heaven!!

Well, I guess we'll have to see how it goes with the tenders. Will ask ship for advice and bring a big shade hat. Thanks for the great video edmusic, I can see why everyone seems to agree that this is a must do excursion!

ThorHiney, thanks for the tenders info. Your tips valuable!! Glad to hear the line moves along, but what a drag. With 5 ships in port the day we are there I think we'll try for 2 hrs before sailaway, with water bottles in hand! :cool:

Question: of the 5 ships in port that day, we are 1 of 2 Carnival cruises. Do all 5 ships use the SAME LINE and same tenders? Just trying to estimate what kind of cluster up we are going to be facing. FINGERS CROSSSED!!!

There were 2 Carnival ships there at the same time when we went as well, and they shared the same port, but different tenders. One set of tenders boarded on one side of the dock, the other on the opposite side. Same tender company, but they had plenty of boats.

On both sides there were two tenders there ready to load at all times, so as soon as one filled and pulled away they started loading the next. While that was happening another would move into position to be ready to receive passengers as soon as the next one was away.

It's really not a bad system, just kind of like rush hour as a couple of thousand people want to go back to the ship at about the same time.

I went back and looked at my pics from the beach, there were actually 7 ships there Christmas week. Carnival Conquest, Carnival Magic, Freedom of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, one other Freedom class RC ship, a Celebrity Solstice class and one of Holland America's ships.

Archived