20,000+ cruisers in port in Nassau

2 cruzen

We will be there in a couple weeks, i am thinking we might just get off the ship walk around for a bit then go back swim and relax.... and try not to think how the next day we will be back in the cold Canadian north :eek: BRRRRR

-52 C here today in Regina with the windchill. Nassau is sounding pretty great right now!

-52 C here today in Regina with the windchill. Nassau is sounding pretty great right now!

OMG, yes! Was thinking the same thing this morning as I swept the snow off the car with the broom - nice and fluffy though - haven't had it as cold as you recently - but some parts of Montana have been chilly.

Nassau needs a litter pick-up day! :(

We did a walking self-tour that went to the Queens Staircase, the Fort, Governors House, etc and I could not believe the amount of trash in the bushes and all over the sidewalks and streets!

I doubt I will be booking another cruise going to the Bahamas. Been there, done it, didn't buy a shirt.

I'm thinking with 7 - 20,000 extra "guests" a day, litter is probably a problem. Not totally the Bahamians fault. Maybe more trash cans????

When our group was there in 2010 we paid I think $20 per person for a day pass to the Hilton and used their pool and beach area. I remember our friends using their Kayaks included in the charge. We did buy some food and drink from them too but they really didn't pay that much attention to us. Probably could have brought our own cooler and they wouldn't have cared. I don't mean that in a bad way...they were super friendly:)

site is not that accurate i noticed, i found http://www.cruisetimetables.com/ to be better

I usually just Google the port. On their web site (the ports that have web sites ;)) will usually have a calendar of scheduled ships coming in. It's good to look at both just to compare.

I think with the ships now being built to hold 3 to 6k passengers, crowded ports are going to be the new normal. :(

I've never been a big fan of the Bahamas...I do think that what I would do if I chose that itinerary, would be to make it ALL about the ship. I'd get the best cabin I could and just stay on board. Staying on board when others get off at port is really kinda nice. :) We've done that once or twice.

:eek::eek:

thinking of just staying on the ship, Breeze, and going down those waterslides all day. What say all of you....I've been to Nassau once....people we are cruising with have not. Will the Straw Market and beaches within walking distance be just too crowded?

Not planning any excursions at this port.

Well, it depends on which ships are in port that day. If you have the Disney Dream, your Breeze, Allure/Oasis, and/or an RCCL Freedom class ship, then yes, it will be too crowded at the straw market. I don't know about your port time in Nassau, but I usually had our family do the waterslides right after breakfast, and then we went to shore and went to the Sheraton. The Sheraton is a hotel with a beautiful pool, beach, and it has a huge 'hippo slide' which is a big inflatable slide that you have to pay extra for. You can pay for the slide per time, or you can get a day pass for that. I usually just bought the day pass, but it's a good idea if they are unsure about if they will use it to have them try it once. Adults can even slide too :) ! I would highly reccomend the Sheraton to anyone going to Nassau. They also have a poolside grill that is delicious for lunch. The food's not cheap, so we had a late breakfast and split a few meals between our family. All you have to do to get to the Sheraton is go to where the buses are. Then you look for the number 10 Jitney bus. You get on the bus and tell the driver that you need the Sheraton. Then he will drive by the hotel, but you will probably have to remind him to stop :) . He'll then let you out, and you go have fun! When you're done, you wait by a curb, and wave and holler to get the driver's attention, and he will again drive you to the port. What a fun day!

:eek: OMG! Really?! All we planning on going to Dunkin Donuts for real coffee then

fish fry. Thats alot of people!!!

Definitely go enjoy your coffee (although I highly recommend Via Cafe' just two blocks away). Then do the fish fry lunch a bit earlier (perhaps 11:00). You can be on your way back to the ship before a good percentage of those overall numbers of passengers listed even arrive. Some of the ship are just pulling in at Noon.

Bon Voyage!!

Archived