20,000+ cruisers in port in Nassau

2 cruzen

:eek::eek:

thinking of just staying on the ship, Breeze, and going down those waterslides all day. What say all of you....I've been to Nassau once....people we are cruising with have not. Will the Straw Market and beaches within walking distance be just too crowded?

Not planning any excursions at this port.

We will be there the week after you (on the Disney Dream) with a port load of 19,500. There is no chance that I will be getting of the ship, except to maybe check out the other ships in port. We were in Nassau with only three ships in port in September and it seemed too crowded to me. We plan on using this time to ride the Aquaduck.

:eek: OMG! Really?! All we planning on going to Dunkin Donuts for real coffee then

fish fry. Thats alot of people!!!

That'd be what I'd do. Once past the Hilton it's relatively crowd free and the beach is great walking.

To others looking to avoid stuff, just stay clear of Sr. Frogs.

There were 5 ships in port last week when I visited Nassau on the Breeze. It was VERY crowded in the terminal area getting off and getting back on the ship. Once out & about we didn't think the crowds were a problem. This was my 3rd time in Nassau. We did a brief 2 hour island tour. After shopping, we went to a beach within walking distance. I'm not sure of the name of it, but it wasn't nice. There was broken glass, etc on the beach. We only stayed a few minutes before leaving. I would book an excursion in advance or inquire about one in the cruise terminal.

We've been to Nassau three (or 4?) times, so I wouldn't exactly jump up and down for joy if we should ever happen to go there again. But, since it's easy to walk off of the ship while docked there, I would still get off of the ship for a little bit, maybe just to go for a short walk and briefly browse through the straw market. Then go back on board, grab some lunch, and head for the pool while it's not crowded. Or, another possibility, if our side of the ship is facing the dock area, after breakfast I'd grab my iPod, put the headphones on, sit on the balcony and people-watch. As far as I know, there's no rule that says you HAVE to go ashore when in port.:)

We were there last spring and the port was at max capacity for ships so probably at least 20,000 cruisers. The markets weren't bad and the beach that is within walking distance wasn't bad either. The beach was sort of informally divided into 3 sections - the two ends had families and couples, the middle had springbreakers with a DJ and some beach games.

There was 1 place where there was a long line - the line to get through security to get back on the boat was over 30 minutes long. It wound it's way through the straw market.

My last cruise stopped there with normal sized ships, kind of snug, but okay. THEN....Breeze rolled in:eek: I never did see the end of the line coming off! Fought my way back to my ship.

I don't think it's just the volume of people in a port shopping or whatever, it's that people group up in the middle of walkways deciding what to do. Same in the stores.

I always wondered if the ships got a kick back from the Nassau government as I can think of no other earthly reason to stop there. We were there 2x on a b2b this Oct--just because we wanted to go to HMC and now will be back in June for the same reason. I will do as I have done most of the times for the past 20 some years that we have had Nassau as one of our ports--Enjoy the ship!!

We will be in Nassua the week of March 18th on the Carnival Fascination. It will be my 3rd time visiting the port. They used to have the yellow bird party boat, but I hear it is no longer available. We may get off the boat for a little bit and then get back on board.

Maybe an island tour.

My last cruise stopped there with normal sized ships, kind of snug, but okay. THEN....Breeze rolled in:eek: I never did see the end of the line coming off! Fought my way back to my ship.

I don't think it's just the volume of people in a port shopping or whatever, it's that people group up in the middle of walkways deciding what to do. Same in the stores.

If my kids and friends weren't along with us, it would be no contest...I would stay on the ship. I think we will have a nice leisurely breakfast, stroll off, walk around, maybe share a lunch/get a drink....and try to make it back on board before the masses. good plan....let's see if it works. :D:D

Just went to nassau, it was my third time there, and i was not very excited about it. I was playing TA for my group of 8...so i didn't want to just tell them we were staying on the ship, since most had not been. With a little research i found this place called compass point. Beautiful, great hospitality....They had bucket drinks there you could get for 25$ a piece, and they were about 7 drinks total. Never ate there, although you can get food. On a phone call they told me if we wanted to use their grounds ie: pool and beach, that it would be 30 if we did not bring our own towel and 20 if we did. Said if we just stayed around the bar to eat and drink and be merry then there was no charge....When we got there, they didn't charge us for anything. Great place check it out....the cab ride was 14$ per person round trip, our cabbie stayed with us the whole day and had a few beers. Great guy. took about a half hour to get there, and there was no cruise traffic at all, no dirty straw market, nobody bugging you, and on the way over we got to see a little piece of the island. Compass Point, loved this spot, if ever a cruise takes me back to nassau, i will be returning!

Nassau needs a litter pick-up day! :(

We did a walking self-tour that went to the Queens Staircase, the Fort, Governors House, etc and I could not believe the amount of trash in the bushes and all over the sidewalks and streets!

I doubt I will be booking another cruise going to the Bahamas. Been there, done it, didn't buy a shirt.

:eek::eek:

thinking of just staying on the ship, Breeze, and going down those waterslides all day. What say all of you....I've been to Nassau once....people we are cruising with have not. Will the Straw Market and beaches within walking distance be just too crowded?

Not planning any excursions at this port.

Been to Nassau 3 times. Got off the ship twice. That was during September with only 2 other ships in port. The last time we didn't bother getting off and basically had the ship to ourselves. Been there done that! Have a great time anyway.

Archived