Air Tahiti Nui cabin redo

ALB0711

Received this from Air Tahiti Nui today - hoping my June flight has one of the updated planes. New seats and entertainment look nice.

Air Tahiti Nui is pleased to announce that it will soon embark on its plan of a renovation of its inflight entertainment system and cabins.

Your account

Air Tahiti Nui operates a fleet of five A340-300 aircraft from its Tahiti base to Auckland, New Zealand, Tokyo, Japan, Paris and Los Angeles. It code shares with a number of carriers including American Airlines, Air France, Air New Zealand, Japan Air Lines, Qantas and the SNCF rail system in France to thirty seven additional cities.

The highlight of the new cabin is the new Inflight Entertainment System featuring an “on demand” access to a selection of 25 movies and 24 television programs, as well as magazines, games and music on every roundtrip journey. Amongst other amenities, the system features channels for kids and families as well as a Tahiti focused TV channel, “Tiare TV”, allowing passengers to have a taste of their upcoming vacation in the beautiful islands of Tahiti and allowing them to experience the destination the moment they step on board.

All aircraft seats and interiors will be replaced and updated. Economy Class Moana will feature new comfort focused lightweight seats while retaining the popular two - four – two seating configuration. Air Tahiti Nui economy class seats have always been wider than the airline industry average and will continue to be so with an 18 inch width and an average 32 inch pitch. The colors selected for the new seats and interior reflect the stunning beauty and charm of Polynesia, which is synonymous with Air Tahiti Nui.

The Poerava Business Class will be increased in capacity from its existing 24 seats to 32 seats. Based on the popular Sogerma “angled lie flat cocoon seat”, the new Business Class will provide more personal room and space, with a 60 inch seat pitch, while continuing to provide a two by two by two configuration, offering passengers a choice of only window and aisle seating.

With this new equipment Air Tahiti Nui shares the same essential qualities and attributes of larger global brand airlines. We continue to take pride in completing this with a “boutique” feel and our exclusive Polynesian hospitality, to make our flights an enjoyable and genuine part of the travel experience to Tahiti.

The aircraft will start to appear in service from mid-April with three of the planes updated by early June. They will initially be operated on the Los Angeles and Paris routes.

With the introduction of the new cabin configuration, the airline will phase out its Poerava First Class service system wide from April 1st. Air Tahiti Nui’s present aircraft are configured with a traditional three class, First, Business and Economy layout. The new configuration will feature two class of service, an expanded and enhanced Poerava Business Class and an upgraded Economy Class Moana.

On behalf of Air Tahiti Nui, we extend our sincere thanks for your support of our airline and we trust that you will enjoy this new experience

Commercial Department

Air Tahiti Nui

visuels_business-class.jpgvisuels_business-class-2.jpgvisuels_eco-moana-1.jpgvisuels_eco-moana-2.jpg

My fear with some of the new seats (especially economy) the padding isn't enough. Oh well, we will have to do what I saw one traveller carry (seat cushion). But happy they are getting a new entertainment system hopefully on demand and a large selection of shows and movies.

I little disappointed no flat bed business class. Flying Air Canada internationally- a standard for us when flying business.

Thanks for the update Allen. Im guessing I will not have the new interior as we leave the first week of May. Maybe we will get lucky and get the first aircraft to be completed:)

Miriam- I believe those are lie flat seats. Many airlines use those same seats and they recline fully flat.

Steve

Hi Steve,

This Emdee's DD. They are angle flat but not flat bed. (from Air Tahiti press note "angled lie flat cocoon seat) Similar to what air france uses to fly to Tahiti. Actually, this is very disappointing since even the carriers that have angle flat currently are updating their fleet to flat bed (ie Lufthansa, Thai).

United, AC, singapore, Emirates, BA, AZ, Cathy Pacific, Jet Airways etc all have flat bed for the international business class.

Emdee's DD.

The new seats aren't lay flat - but in business/first they do from what I've read recline a lot more then the old seats did. I'm guessing the airline didn't want to give up any capacity and lay flat seats would probably eliminate a row or 2 of high profit business class seats.

If you are leacing in early May you may get the old plane on the way out and a new one on the way home. Sort of like a taste test! :rolleyes:

The new seats aren't lay flat - but in business/first they do from what I've read recline a lot more then the old seats did. I'm guessing the airline didn't want to give up any capacity and lay flat seats would probably eliminate a row or 2 of high profit business class seats.

If you are leacing in early May you may get the old plane on the way out and a new one on the way home. Sort of like a taste test! :rolleyes:

With my height, I found the seats that no lay flat are very uncomfortable when trying to take a nap. The other half who is 14 inches shorter doesn't have a problem with them.

• 1 month later...

The first aircraft has now been completed and returned to service yesterday.

The second aircraft is already in Europe and has started its refurb. It looks like it took about 3 weeks to get the first aircraft done so they are on schedule to have 3 aircraft done by May:). Looking forward to those nice new seats and big tv screens!

Steve

I am keeping my fingers crossed. We fly out on May 10th and home on May 31st. We called ATN and they don't know which will be used on our flights. Apparently, they are getting rid of first class and expanding business class, which we are flying. What a great start to a vacation that would be, although as long as we land safely and our luggage arrives with us, I consider any flight a good one.

The first aircraft has now been completed and returned to service yesterday.

The second aircraft is already in Europe and has started its refurb. It looks like it took about 3 weeks to get the first aircraft done so they are on schedule to have 3 aircraft done by May:). Looking forward to those nice new seats and big tv screens!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Where did you get this information from?

Hi KB. I have several friends in the aviation industry that follow this kind of stuff. The first aircraft was also photographed in Zurich in late March (going to SR I presume)

I apologize if this information was incorrect or not supposed to be published yet, we are all just excited about the new product:).

Steve

Hi Steve,

Where did you get this information from?

Does the ATN in your name signify Air Tahiti Nui? If so, do you know if one of the refurbished planes will be flying from LA to Tahiti on May 10 or in the other direction on May 31? The agent at the airline did not know. I know the odds are not in my favor, but can't hurt to hope. What a great start that would be to a dream vacation.

Talked to an ATN rep yesterday to inquire about bus class seats on our June 8 flight - no response - she suggested calling a few days prior to flight. As has been previously reported, first class will disappear and some additional BC seats will be added. Existing seat assignments will not be changed.

If KB_ATN is representing Air Tahiti Nui, I'm a little worried the cabin redos aren't going to be delivered as promised on the Air Tahiti Nui website.

It will be interesting to hear what others find in the coming months.

Just back from a 14 day cruise. Flew TN's Bora Bora going on 4/4 and Rangiora on the way back on 4/20. Neither had the new cabins, Bora Bora's interiors in business class looked awful ratty and Rangiora wasn't quite that bad but still needs an update interior. BB's outside paint also looked horrible.

Your friends are correct :)

Mangereva just flew back on a CDG-LAX-PPT routing on 4/25; prior flight for that plane was 4/2.

So now we have a 2 out of 5 chance of the new plane; wonder which one is going in next?

From what I have been told by my "airplane geek" friends:), "Nuku Hiva" was the first aircraft completed and "mangereva" is currently being modified.

Having flown Nuku Hiva last night I can tell you it has not been refurbished yet.

Archived