DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH - Cruisin' with Caroline

Host Caroline

Embarkation wasn't too bad... Comfort Suites Seattle Center did an awesome job getting everyone to their respective piers... loaded luggage in their shuttle truck so we didn't have to stand in the baggage check in line.. highly highly recommend this hotel... they also run shuttle to harbor area/ Pioneer Square for free and charge only $4/6 to take you to the pier.

We sailed from Seattle in warm sunshine, today in cold sunshine just off Queen Charlotte Islands since about 3 p.m. and to have sun and warm in Juneau and good weather till at least Thursday acc. to local weather.. yipeee!!!

BUT

Unfortunately some passengers came aboard carryin' some stuff that the screeners didn't find.. first hint is when the waiter won't let you touch the salt and pepper shakers or the bread basket, then the captain interrupts dinner AND sends you a nice long letter to your cabin tellin' you to wash up, use your own bathroom, and you notice more cleaning tools than drinks around the ship late at night .. yep.. we have apparently "a significant number" of passengers with norovirus.. So no more sneakin' cookies off the buffet or touching anything but the fork that goes in your mouth at the buffet. Me, I'm figuring martinis will kill any personal invaders.. so far we've tango-tinied, cosmo-tinied and apple -tinied.. And then there was Princess Idol round 1 where bless their souls a few contestants might've just killed off or driven away the few germs that came by to see if they could find a few more victims..;)

The group is having a great time or will be nominated as one for an Academy Award in the "Best Acting" category. Today we met & mingled, played scrabble (it was freezin' outside), ate only 3 meals,watched a good movie in the theatre and a decent magician in Explorers Lounge. They have a great selection of almost first run flicks - Phantom of the Opera, Aviator, Meet the Fockers, etc. in the Princess Theatre and on cabin TV. Lots of evening activities although they still think that hangin' out in the atrium and dodging photographers is the best way to have a welcome aboard party??? NOT.

We're in Juneau till 10 tomorrow and then 15 hours in Skagway but I'll post some more here later this week...

Caroline,

Thank you for the posting. Will look forward to your reports. Also, hope that you may be able to find out if Capt Tony Yeomans will be on the Diamond for the July 23 Alaska cruise. APH (Andy) said that he thought Capt Pickford would be going on leave in mid-July. Would appreciate it if you could find out.

Stay well!

Thanks, Cecile

Caroline - I am so sorry this is happening on your trip, but it sounds like you are are making the best of it!

One thing I found, when I was on the gift shop last week (so they still should have it) is a little spray can (the size of maybe eye glass cleaner) that is an aerosol disinfectant. Might be a good thing to take around with you before using the computer keys and toilets seats. It always drives me crazy they dont have toilet seat covers (even though I know they clean the toilets often throughout the day).

I think the spray was $6.00, I got it for home for shopping cart handles!

Have Fun!

Casey

Archived