Avocados?

Junebug27

I know this is random, and if no one has an answer I totally understand! But our 1 year old loves avocado, is there avocado in the buffet, do you think they would bring me some in the MDR?

She will always eat some avocado if nothing else appeals to her, and I can usually mash some up and mix chopped veggies in it.

This is our first cruise as parents and I feel like a newbie again, It's amazing the little things that seem to matter when you have a little one!

Ask for what you want in the buffett and the MDR... if they can't get it for you that day, they will have it the next if it is on the ship.

We have found the folks in the buffet are very responsive to special requests.

MDR less so, they need a day to request but will come through as well.

Just ask.

There used to be a sandwich that came with sliced avocado on it --at least there was a year ago. Or maybe the sushi bar--order a deconstructed roll? Have a good cruise!

Just off the Jewel. I ordered that sandwich (shrimp salad with avocado; lunch in the MDR); no avocado on it. I never saw an avocado anywhere (or ate anything that had avocado in it) for the entire cruise.

I always suggest that anyone bringing a young child should bring with them whatever is necessary to keep their child happy (as opposed to assuming it will be on the ship). Usually this means a favorite snack, toy or blankie or brand of juice; this is the first I've heard of an avocado. I never thought to try the mashed avocado (and adding veggies, etc); too late for my DD (she's 29), but I will remember this for my future grandkids. Great idea!

Avocado has always been my go-to fruit for my children as well. It still is a favorite now that they are 5 & 9. Their favorite maki sushi is avocado.

I would bring a few with you and once ripe you can store them in your fridge.

I remember on our Dawn cruise less than a year ago, the cold soup one day in the buffet was avocado - so I'm pretty sure they had them on that ship and sailing. Whether or not they have them on all ships and all sailings - I don't think anyone could guarantee.

As for bringing avocados with you just in case - I'm not sure if bringing any fruits or vegetables on board would be allowed. I know for sure they are not allowed off or on the ships at various ports during the trip - but I'm not 100% sure if it's allowed on not from the port of departure. (I would assume so, since the cruise line needs to bring them on. But passengers bringing them on, I don't know?)

I know this is random, and if no one has an answer I totally understand! But our 1 year old loves avocado, is there avocado in the buffet, do you think they would bring me some in the MDR?

She will always eat some avocado if nothing else appeals to her, and I can usually mash some up and mix chopped veggies in it.

This is our first cruise as parents and I feel like a newbie again, It's amazing the little things that seem to matter when you have a little one!

Try sending an email to accessdesk@ncl.com requesting avocado for your child as soon as you can with your sailing date and reservation number. Might depend on avocado's being in season.

You need to bring your own.

I would guess that it depends what ship you are on. We were just on the Epic. My wife ordered a salad that had avocados on it in one of the main dinning rooms. When it arrived, she asked if it was possible to get a little more avocado to eat with the salad, the waiter ended up bringing her a plate with a whole avocado on it, cut into slices.

I'm sure they would do the same for your son.

The ship should have avocado but to be sure I'd e-mail them (the access e-mail address you were already given).

Cagney's chopped salad includes avocado and so do several of the sushi place's rolls (California, Caterpillar, Godzilla, Rainbow & Shrimp Tempura roll). While I do not have the menu of Garden Cafe available (if someone has - please post it :D) I can remember eating a salad with avocado almost every single day on my cruise 10 months ago (Dawn). The avocado was found in a big bowl in the "salad section" where you'd find lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes etc.

Throw a few in your carry-on bag. Don't count on the ship having any.

This! While they will probably have them aboard for making guacamole and sushi, I always have a few of something special with me, just in case I have problems at a particular meal.

DML

When I was on the Pride of America in July 2010 they had fresh avocado and mango on the buffet every day.

They didn't put too much avocado out at once and it went fast so you had to keep checking to see when they put more out.

Just off the Jewel. I ordered that sandwich (shrimp salad with avocado; lunch in the MDR); no avocado on it. I never saw an avocado anywhere (or ate anything that had avocado in it) for the entire cruise.

I had that sandwich last month and there was tons of mashed avocado on it. Sorry yours didn't have it-it was great!

Thanks all for the Avocado info! Jaja- I agree with you, and Avocados are really only properly ripe for 2 days if that, I would imagine it would be hard to stay stocked all the time. I buy a few in different stages of ripeness.

It sounds like from all of your experiences sometimes they are able to have some and sometimes not!

It is funny that you have posted this question. Yesterday, we returned from the Dawn and each day at breakfast and/or lunch they were preparing avocados in the food preparation area of Cagney's. We wondered what they were doing with them all.

Although one experience cannot predict a future one, it seems that you might have easy access to avocado (especially if you have access to Cagney's for breakfast/lunch).

Archived