Baked Alaska

corsage

We had it on our last night (which was not one of the three formal nights of our cruise) with the assistant waiters parading with the platters. We were in the traditional dining room. On our cruise two years before on the same ship, we didn't have a parade in the anytime dining room. But maybe it happened on one of the days we skipped eating there (we did eat in the MDR on all three formal dining nights).

We were on the Emerald Christmas cruise and we did not have the Baked Alaska parade. I was surprised as we have had it on every other cruise.

So, do they eliminate the BA parade if the ship is on Noro precautions? We did have traditional early dining. I really didn't care since I don't like BA anyway.

We were on the Sapphire for New Years and yes, it was served the last night in ALL dining rooms. We ate any time and ate early (around six) and they came through.

Of course, all our napkins were in the air as they paraded around. Then we got to give our head waiters and the staff a round of applause as well. Very nice to bring the chefs out of the kitchen too!

One exception to the "last night" trend is on Alaskan cruises sailing round trip from Seattle. The last night of the cruise is in Victoria (7 PM - midnight) and many people skip dinner in the MDR that night, so they do it on the 2nd to last night, which is often a formal night.

Archived