Freedom PHOTO Trip Review to ARUBA, GRAND TURK, DR, & CURACAO

mpcaruth

Your photograpy is wonderful, there is one picture, I want for my screen saver at work-with your permission, so I can just dream of being "there", beach,palm trees and water! My Legends roll call from last year want to go to new ports, as a reunion, can you tell we made freinds for life while cruising? We are looking at this cruise for 2015. Thank you so much for this review!

I'm flattered! Sure, you can use it as a screen saver. I hope you guys can book this itinerary for your reunion. It's a great one! Hopefully Carnival won't eliminate La Romana by 2015. The Seavis excursion ranks in my top three! (Of course, nothing can beat me seeing the Panama Canal, though - as I am a civil engineer)

• 1 month later...
Your pictures are awesome!!! I am on FREEDOM 9/21/13 and can't wait. After reading your reviews i am super excited.

Thank you! I just now looked through some of these photos, and was reminded of what an amazing vacation this was for us. ENJOY!!!

Aruba Continued:

Went spent about 45 minutes in the water at Arashi, then packed up for our trip back to the ship. The drive back was along the main stretch along the tourist beaches of Palm Beach and Eagle Beach. The hotels were amazing looking and the beaches looked great. I took some photos from the jeep:

P1080072_zpsc8389481.jpg

P1080079_zps4894a0f0.jpg

We were dropped off across the street from the pier entrance. My daughter and I walked about a block to an open air market (lots of locals selling souvenirs from booths). The prices for the T-shirts, bags, purses, and other typical souvenirs were probably the cheapest we have seen on any of the islands we have cruised to. So…we loaded up on shirts and novelties.

Aruba Final L:

Back on ship, we went to an upper deck to watch sail away. So sad this was our last port.

P1080099_zps83e1f1c2.jpg

P1080097_zpsac33ad2c.jpg

We slowly sailed in front of the airport runway where we saw a plane appear to be waiting. My son asked if the plane was going to take off over our heads. We told him it was probably not allowed, since the ship was so close and with so many passengers. Then “bbrrmmmmm” a loud sound startled everyone on the ship. The plane was waiting on the runway for the plane that was about to land. I caught a picture of the plane just before landing.

P1080104_zps64795e14.jpg

P1080101_zps27ed0146.jpg

Aruba is truly "one big happy family"! Of all the ports I have been to, this would rate as the top for a future land-based vacation.

If you recall, my favorite port day was La Romana (Seavis rocks!), and my son's favorite was Curacao (he loves snorkeling). Now, my husband and daughter selected Aruba as their favorite (they loved the off-road adventure and the unknowns). So, as you can see, we are all different, but we all had a GREAT time at the ports!

Most beautiful airport ever landed in. Took a cruise out of this port back in '99. Loved your review! Making me double think what i've been planning, but the island tour in the Dominican looks amazing!!

• 1 month later...

Loved your review, thank you!

In Aruba, at the lighthouse, are you allowed to climb it? Do you remember if there were any independents when the ship docked with 4 wheeler tours? I think we would like to do this type of tour, but maybe with personal ATV's. My boys are 23 and 18.

Loved how you all had a different favorite port. That happened on our Mediterranean cruise. All four of us had a different favorite port as well.

Loved your review, thank you!

In Aruba, at the lighthouse, are you allowed to climb it? Do you remember if there were any independents when the ship docked with 4 wheeler tours? I think we would like to do this type of tour, but maybe with personal ATV's. My boys are 23 and 18.

Loved how you all had a different favorite port. That happened on our Mediterranean cruise. All four of us had a different favorite port as well.

I did not see anyone climb the lighthouse. It was small and not very impressive. The lighthouse was the last stop before the beach and we were HOT and ready to leave quickly at that point. So, there may have been some going into the light house, I cannot remember.

ATVs would be awesome. I did not see any of them around. I did see the Trikes, and they looked fun. Your boys might enjoy driving them.

We all had different favorite ports, but none of us had any we disliked. It was a near perfect itinerary!

You will love the Seavis tour!!!

I used the Aquapac with my point and shoot Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1. I have used this pair for over three years now. Since the cruise I have upgraded my Lumix to the DMC-Z19 - improved low light photos, better HD video, and manual camera settings. I had an older Lumix with an older Aquapac bag that I dropped forever into the deep coral in Labadee in 2009. The older Aquapac did not float, but I have confirmed the newer one does!

I also use a Cannon Rebel DSLR camera when the environment is good. The photo-editing software I have used for the past 8+ years is Photoscape. It is free and can be downloaded from CNET dot com. I thought about buying Lightroom, but have been satisfied with the free Photoscape editing program. And lastly, I use Photobucket to host my photos for Cruisecritic.

Now you know all my photo secrets!

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 and used an aquapac and set it on underwater setting. My photos did not nearly look that good. What is your secret? Exactly what settings do you use?

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 and used an aquapac and set it on underwater setting. My photos did not nearly look that good. What is your secret? Exactly what settings do you use?

My secret? I use the underwater setting too, unless the dial accidentally slides. The sports mode takes decent photos too. I do use the free PhotoScape software to crop photos and use the simple one click "Auto Level" command for my underwater photos. I am surprised that your ZS5 doesn't take good photos, it is newer than the camera I used in this review. Do you have the Aquapac with the long extension for the zoom lens?

Also, if the water is rough or turbid, or it is a cloudy day, the photos will be much more grainy. Light is really the key. I have forced the flash on underwater too. What is the issue with your photos: is the color off? too dark, blurry, or grainy?

I don't know if you looked at my Bermuda cruise review (linked in my signature), but the ZS1 took some really good shots underwater there even with a very cloudy sky.

I am excited to try my newer Panasonic DMC-Z19 in January. That little camera is great!

Just stumbled onto your review. We did this same cruise July 2012 and loved it. Our favorite was Aruba and we said we'd come back for a land based vacation as well. If you find anything more on that please send me a message since this is a cruise site and others might not appreciate it. ;)

My secret? I use the underwater setting too, unless the dial accidentally slides. The sports mode takes decent photos too. I do use the free PhotoScape software to crop photos and use the simple one click "Auto Level" command for my underwater photos. I am surprised that your ZS5 doesn't take good photos, it is newer than the camera I used in this review. Do you have the Aquapac with the long extension for the zoom lens?

Also, if the water is rough or turbid, or it is a cloudy day, the photos will be much more grainy. Light is really the key. I have forced the flash on underwater too. What is the issue with your photos: is the color off? too dark, blurry, or grainy?

I don't know if you looked at my Bermuda cruise review (linked in my signature), but the ZS1 took some really good shots underwater there even with a very cloudy sky.

I am excited to try my newer Panasonic DMC-Z19 in January. That little camera is great!

Mine are darker and blurring, especially at the edges. I think one problem may be the aquapac is just a regular one, not one with a hard lens. I will definitely keep trying and get a better pack. I generally like the camera though.

• 3 months later...
OP has gone over the bandwidth limit for Photobucket's free service and will now have to pay for a full account for the photos to be available again.

Spire2000 is correct! I have exceeded the bandwidth and will upgrade my account this evening. We just returned from a cruise Sunday and I have lots of pictures to upload to Photobucket and another review to write. We tried NCL for the first time last week: took the Jewel out of New Orleans to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, an Costa Maya. I think I hit my record on number of photos taken! Lots of amazing snorkeling in Roatan and Costa Maya, and cave tubing in Belize.

Spire2000 is correct! I have exceeded the bandwidth and will upgrade my account this evening. We just returned from a cruise Sunday and I have lots of pictures to upload to Photobucket and another review to write. We tried NCL for the first time last week: took the Jewel out of New Orleans to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, an Costa Maya. I think I hit my record on number of photos taken! Lots of amazing snorkeling in Roatan and Costa Maya, and cave tubing in Belize.

ok, will wait patiently! LOL we did the western this past summer so looking forward to those pics as well

It is not your computer as I can not see them either. But I would love to as we are booked on this itinerary later this year.

OKay, I just renewed my Photobucket upgrade (forked over $). The photos should be available for viewing again. Have fun planning your cruise!

Thank you so much for posting this review.your pictures are beyond compare. We just booked this itinerary for Oct to celebrate our 48th anniversary....this brings me to my question...the Seavis tour in DR looks absolutely fabulous...my one concern is getting back in the boat when you stop to find the star fish. I have had two total knee replacements and I'm not as agile as I once was..LOL...anyway..how difficult was it to get back in the boat? Please take into consideration that I am probably double your age :eek::D..thank you so much for any insight you can give an old lady..

I will give you a heads up on Aruba: We did the North Coast Jeep Safari booked through Carnival. The tour was conducted by ABC Tours. I give this tour a 4.5 out of 5 (just because I gave the Seavis tour a 5/5). I highly recommend this tour! Check it out.

question about Seavis. We are on the Breeze next month. I booked Seavis last June The email reply just was a copy of info form I filled out to them on their site.

Is this their usual reservation?

Thank you so much for posting this review.your pictures are beyond compare. We just booked this itinerary for Oct to celebrate our 48th anniversary....this brings me to my question...the Seavis tour in DR looks absolutely fabulous...my one concern is getting back in the boat when you stop to find the star fish. I have had two total knee replacements and I'm not as agile as I once was..LOL...anyway..how difficult was it to get back in the boat? Please take into consideration that I am probably double your age :eek::D..thank you so much for any insight you can give an old lady..

Honestly, I think you would have a very difficult time climbing the ladder at the star fish stop. I am basing this on observation of my Mom and her limited mobility/flexibility following her knee replacements. I suggest you contact Seavis and see if they have a boat that has special access for limited mobility. They have a Facebook Page and a web site: https://www.facebook.com/SeavisTours

http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/

Also, I noticed a few folks staying on the boat at the starfish stop, so that may be an option for you. Stay on the boat and watch others hunt for starfish, while you enjoy the rum cake and punch!