HH Obstructed View on Amsterdam

sstepson

I've had a problem booking an HH, even a year ahead of time, so settle for a DD. I used to get them all the time, but this past year none are available. I don't know why, because my TA is a large HAL booker. And the HHs are never even shown on the online booking sites. I really like the Lower Promenade deck, but prefer not staying in the front part of the ship.

We were extremely lucky, as on the spur of the moment, we basically decided to book our forthcoming cruise only about 7 weeks before the sailing date. We were very surprised to see an HH still available at that late date. We usually book cruises anywhere from 6 to 12 months out.

In 2011 3384 was port side.

We liked having the chair. On days we ordered room service for breakfast, one of us sat on the chair and one on the couch as we shared the little table. Perhaps the room steward could store it, if you really didn't want it?

We asked, he said it could not be done. :(

Window in Cabin:

P1020396_zps33558683.jpg

I'd like to point out to anyone else who is as confused as I was at first glance at this picture: it is inside looking out, not looking in from the promenade, and the bed is a reflection. No one can see the bed this clearly from outside, day or night! ;)

We asked, he said it could not be done. :(

Of course it can be done!:confused: Although few, over the years we have encountered a cabin or DR steward or two who were less than agreeable (and we are really low maintenance). The way that I would have dealt with this cabin steward is say to "Yes, I understand that it can't be done, and not to cause you any problems I will make my request to the Supervisor or Chief Housekeeper." Because honestly if you had made that request to either of these people, it would have been done immediately.

Our cabin stewards and DR stewards just keep getting better and better. And we thought they were great to start with.

I'd like to point out to anyone else who is as confused as I was at first glance at this picture: it is inside looking out, not looking in from the promenade, and the bed is a reflection. No one can see the bed this clearly from outside, day or night! ;)

Did they change the reflective coating; I seem to recall hat in 2007 on the Amsterdam that you could actually see quiet a bit at night if the drapes were open and the lighst were on in the cabin. During the day you could not see in.

Of course it can be done!:confused: Although few, over the years we have encountered a cabin or DR steward or two who were less than agreeable (and we are really low maintenance). The way that I would have dealt with this cabin steward is say to "Yes, I understand that it can't be done, and not to cause you any problems I will make my request to the Supervisor or Chief Housekeeper." Because honestly if you had made that request to either of these people, it would have been done immediately.

Our cabin stewards and DR stewards just keep getting better and better. And we thought they were great to start with.

It was just our second cruise in 7 months, so we were still newbies. :) Let's see what happens Saturday when we board the Eurodam and ask for loungers for our big balcony in cabin 4166. :D

It was just our second cruise in 7 months, so we were still newbies. :) Let's see what happens Saturday when we board the Eurodam and ask for loungers for our big balcony in cabin 4166. :D

You should have no problem with that request, however, the flexibility of cabin stewards have a lot to do with their immediate Supervisors and the Chief Housekeeper. Any problems move up the chain. Never had an issue we could not resolve but our expectations and requests are not unreasonable either.

Did they change the reflective coating; I seem to recall hat in 2007 on the Amsterdam that you could actually see quiet a bit at night if the drapes were open and the lighst were on in the cabin. During the day you could not see in.
When we on the Amsterdam in Apr 08 (3385, starboard side) with the drapes open and all lights on at night all I could see is my own reflection from a normal "passer-by" position. If I pressed my nose against the glass and cupped my hands around my eyes to block out the very bright deck lights I could see maybe the first 1 foot of the bed ... but nobody does that.

This was our first LP cabin (we've booked four more since) so both my DW and I were concerned, and made sure. Besides, when we go to dinner the steward preps the cabin and closes the drapes, so it's a moot point generally.

:)

When we on the Amsterdam in Apr 08 (3385, starboard side) with the drapes open and all lights on at night all I could see is my own reflection from a normal "passer-by" position. If I pressed my nose against the glass and cupped my hands around my eyes to block out the very bright deck lights I could see maybe the first 1 foot of the bed ... but nobody does that.

This was our first LP cabin (we've booked four more since) so both my DW and I were concerned, and made sure. Besides, when we go to dinner the steward preps the cabin and closes the drapes, so it's a moot point generally.

:)

Maybe I have x-ray vision! Or my memory is going down hill. I think it is the latter - I was wrong - we were port side.

A mind is a terrible thing to lose...

We ended up with 2711...the aft-most cabin on the starboard side of the Main Deck.

I read some reviews that complained of engine noise from this area, but it is a ship, after all. That kind of thing doesn't bother us.

Does anyone have any experience with the public aft balconies on this class of ship? The entrance to it appears to be right outside our cabin door. Are there chairs or loungers out there? This looks like it would be a nice place to have our morning coffee!

Great cabin, Sstepson, we were in 2707 just a few doors down on the Amsterdam's 14 day Alaska itinerary. We loved being close to that aft deck and walking up one flight of stairs to the LP. Yes, there are several loungers on that aft deck. The only real problem is that the railing isn't open like the "secret" deck on the aft of the Navigation deck, rather there iswith it is that t the streel superstructure of the ship, so you need to be standing to see the wake. No big deal though, certainly just steps to the great outdoors from your cabin. BTW - we were never once bothered by the engine noise on the aft of the Amsterdam - the shush of the wake just lulled us to sleep! Enjoy your cruise.

Archived