HH Obstructed View on Amsterdam

sstepson

Hi all,

We're about to book our first HAL cruise on the Amsterdam to Alaska. Exactly how obstructed are the HH cabins on the Lower Promenade Deck? We're considering an inside, (We'll go on deck for the views) but was just curious if you get any kind of a water view from these obstructed cabins.

Thanks in advance!

They are not obstructed to the point of something blocking your view right outside your window, but by the construction the ships sides. You can see out of the window but it is not a great view compared to what you can see from a window in an outside cabin view. We had HH314 on the Maasdam and it was great. You had a quick exit to the lower promenade deck and we sat in the deck chairs on a number days enjoying a refresment and a book or just sitting there relaxing and watching the world go by. We plan to book that cabin again on some future cruise, maybe a little more midship the next time.

You will get light and be able to see a bit (around lifeboats/equipment etc) If it's the view you are looking for, you won't get it. If you want light and be able to escape the feeling of claustrophobia that some inside cabins yield, you will. I love HH cabins but I will admit that when we went to Alaska we took a balcony as there is much to see and being able to run in and out of the cold was nice.

I feel with any of the cabins it is best to go outside to see the view. From the room you only get to see what is right in front of you. A whale could be out there but you will miss it. You can look out your window to see what the weather is. Most of the time we were in the inside passage we saw nothing on the shore; just trees and shoreline. Actually, I like sitting up in the Crow's Nest

We were in the forward-most HH cabin on starboard side for an Alaska cruise once and enjoyed the convenience of quick and easy access to the outside. We thought that it was a tad bit larger than Cat C cabins we had used prior to that cruise. We could see off to the right of the superstructure which blocks views straight out. I guess we didn't mind the partial view because we had cruise to Alaska before with a verandah.

There are some minor issues with a forward HH though. The most forward cabin is under the main show lounge and we could hear some music during the late shows, but it stopped when the shows ended. If you are attending the late shows or are otherwise out and about until after 11pm, it is not an issue. Also, the most forward cabin is next to the door leading to the outside (and of course, back into the passageway for pm the outside) and a couple of times we we would be awakened by the door slamming shut. If you are a sound sleeper though, it may not be a problem.

Even with those issues, we would book a similarly situated HH cabin because it is priced like an inside cabin. In fact, we recently did book HH 3301 on the Zanndam because of the great value. Regardless of your cabin choice, I hope that you will have a wonderful cruise! :)

Hi all,

We're about to book our first HAL cruise on the Amsterdam to Alaska. Exactly how obstructed are the HH cabins on the Lower Promenade Deck? We're considering an inside, (We'll go on deck for the views) but was just curious if you get any kind of a water view from these obstructed cabins.

Thanks in advance!

We are staying in one of those cabins next week on the Zaandam. #3402. We were offered this cabin as an upgrade from a guaranteed inside. We thought $49 pp would be worth it for the location and daylight - close to the door to the outside deck. the elevators to the MDR and other public areas. A downside is that the window also looks out to the deck and the public can see directly in your cabin, especially at night. We usually book a veranda, but wanted to take an extra cruise this year since we are close to San Diego & can drive. If we like this cabin we might consider it for future cruises.

A downside is that the window also looks out to the deck and the public can see directly in your cabin, especially at night.
No they can not. We've had 5 LP cabins on R and S class ships, including one on the Amsterdam, and have tested the visibility on each. Because of the silvering it is impossible to see anything during daylight, and very, very difficult to see much at night even with the drapes open and all lights on because of the brightness of the deck lights which stay on all night.

You will get light and be able to see a bit (around lifeboats/equipment etc)

This is true on the Nieuw Amsterdam, but the OP asked about the Amsterdam---a totally different set-up.

On the Amsterdam, the lifeboats are above the deck. One looks directly out the window either to the sea, or to the ship's superstructure. If the latter, then turning one way or the other gives an unobstructed view of the sea and sky---it's just a smaller view.

We had an HH on our Amsterdam 14 day Alaska Cruise (now discontinued:(). We booked #3399 steps away from the promenade door and under the front part of the dining room. We have booked similarly located HH rooms on other ships. The best views in Alaska are from the outside decks. We had a verandah on the Oosterdam for our first Alaska cruise and didn't use it.

Karen

I've had a problem booking an HH, even a year ahead of time, so settle for a DD. I used to get them all the time, but this past year none are available. I don't know why, because my TA is a large HAL booker. And the HHs are never even shown on the online booking sites. I really like the Lower Promenade deck, but prefer not staying in the front part of the ship.

I've had a problem booking an HH, even a year ahead of time, so settle for a DD. I used to get them all the time, but this past year none are available. I don't know why, because my TA is a large HAL booker. And the HHs are never even shown on the online booking sites. I really like the Lower Promenade deck, but prefer not staying in the front part of the ship.

They typically become available about 4 months before cruise date. At least that has been my experience on my 2011 cruise and my daughter's upcoming cruise. I have no idea why they are not immediately available, but for some reason HAL holds off on releasing them.

We had HH3384 on our 14 cruise to Alaska in 2011 and really liked it for the price we paid. When you look out the window you had to look left, but when you did, you could see through the opening in the structure of the ship. My DH is a bit claustrophic, so having a window is pretty important to him. We originally booked a J inside, but when the HHs became available we switched cabins. Our cabin did have some galley noise, which we were fine with, but I am sure it would bother others. We never heard the noise during the night, but I have heard of others who said they did.

If you book an HH I would seriously look at 3420 and 3419. These are more aft, under the fire escape stairs in the dining room (therefore no worry about galley noise), and have a better view. The opening in the structure is straight across the windows in these cabins. I had read about it before our trip, but my DH liked being more toward the center of the ship. However, after seeing the location, I would try to book one of these in the future. I would avoid 3424 and 3427 as you will be looking into a stairwell. In fact, my DD booked the comparable cabin on the Volendam for her AK honeymoon this summer. Like her dad and me, she would rather spend the money on excursions. It cost her $10pp more than the J they had booked to have the HH. They are happy to have a bit of a view for the price.

The cabins to be leary of on the Amsterdam are the C cabins just forward of HH3384. There was a horrible vibration in that area of the ship and from what I have been reading, as of this past fall, it was still an issue.

I will try to attach some photos.

Window in Cabin:

P1020396_zps33558683.jpg

Structure in ship that has openings that you can see through. This photo was taken through our cabin window. As you can see, you need to look to the left a bit to see out.

P1020038_zps95d9367e.jpg

P1020391_zps13472ae8.jpg

Cabin photos (we paid extra for the frig):

P1000295.jpg

P1000297.jpg

P1000301_zps1e7864a1.jpg

Thanks so much for the comprehensive post and especially the pictures. They are very helpful!!!

You are welcome. So many wonderful CC posters helped me along the way as we were deciding on our cabin for our 2011 cruise. I like to give back when I can. I never thought I would like a cabin on the lower promenade, but I must say, it worked out very well. If money were no object, I would choose something else, but for the price, I think they are a pretty good bargain. I told my daughter these were the poor man's outsides. ;) We took some pretty awesome excursions on this cruise, and I would not give any of them up for a better cabin. For me cruising is all about the destination. I know that is not the case for everyone, but it is for us. Enjoy your cruise and your time in Alaska. What an awesome place to vacation!!

You are welcome. So many wonderful CC posters helped me along the way as we were deciding on our cabin for our 2011 cruise. I like to give back when I can. I never thought I would like a cabin on the lower promenade, but I must say, it worked out very well. If money were no object, I would choose something else, but for the price, I think they are a pretty good bargain. I told my daughter these were the poor man's outsides. ;) We took some pretty awesome excursions on this cruise, and I would not give any of them up for a better cabin. For me cruising is all about the destination. I know that is not the case for everyone, but it is for us. Enjoy your cruise and your time in Alaska. What an awesome place to vacation!!

I echo the thanks! (sstepson is my DH)

He's been trying to talk me into an HH for a week, but I was a bit reluctant.... now we know what it will look like!

Much appreciation!!!

I echo the thanks! (sstepson is my DH)

He's been trying to talk me into an HH for a week, but I was a bit reluctant.... now we know what it will look like!

Much appreciation!!!

So, did you decide to go with the HH or stick with the inside?

So, did you decide to go with the HH or stick with the inside?

I think you've convinced me to go with an HH (hopefully they're still available!) DH is checking right now. as long as its not too close to the galley or forward.

How much traffic was on the promenade outside your room?

I think you've convinced me to go with an HH (hopefully they're still available!) DH is checking right now. as long as its not too close to the galley or forward.

How much traffic was on the promenade outside your room?

The HHs don't seem to fill up too fast. I think most end up going to guarantees of lower cabin categories. However, as word gets around, they may become more popular. If you don't like noise, I would avoid the galley cabins. We knew when we booked that we could expect some noise from the galley, so it was no surprise and not a disappointment. We go to bed on the later side, and it was always quiet by the time we went to bed. However, I would avoid those if possible. Like you, we do not like forward cabins. The inside bow areas are where my DH tends to get queasy, as do I sometimes. Odd thing is we never get queasy when we are out on the bow of the ship, which is where we spend a lot of time on the scenic sailing days. Perhaps the fresh air and looking at the horizon helps. By the way, the doorway to the bow is on the promenade deck. :)

Gosh, as far as the traffic on the promenade goes, It surely didn't strike me as grand central station. ;) On the scenic sailing days I do remember the loungers on the Lower Promenade having a lot of people in them, but we were up on the bow for that panoramic view. We are rarely in our cabins so I can't give a good response to you. For Alaska, we just always wanted to be outside on one of the decks or in the Crow's Nest (panoramic viewing at the bow on deck 9). We would go to our cabin to sleep and change clothes. There were two times my DH did get queasy and he went back to the cabin to rest until he felt better, but those times the curtains were closed, lights off, so he could rest. I never recall hearing any noises, but then I am told I am deaf. :eek:

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!!

The HHs don't seem to fill up too fast. I think most end up going to guarantees of lower cabin categories. However, as word gets around, they may become more popular. If you don't like noise, I would avoid the galley cabins. We knew when we booked that we could expect some noise from the galley, so it was no surprise and not a disappointment. We go to bed on the later side, and it was always quiet by the time we went to bed. However, I would avoid those if possible. Like you, we do not like forward cabins. The inside bow areas are where my DH tends to get queasy, as do I sometimes. Odd thing is we never get queasy when we are out on the bow of the ship, which is where we spend a lot of time on the scenic sailing days. Perhaps the fresh air and looking at the horizon helps. By the way, the doorway to the bow is on the promenade deck. :)

Gosh, as far as the traffic on the promenade goes, It surely didn't strike me as grand central station. ;) On the scenic sailing days I do remember the loungers on the Lower Promenade having a lot of people in them, but we were up on the bow for that panoramic view. We are rarely in our cabins so I can't give a good response to you. For Alaska, we just always wanted to be outside on one of the decks or in the Crow's Nest (panoramic viewing at the bow on deck 9). We would go to our cabin to sleep and change clothes. There were two times my DH did get queasy and he went back to the cabin to rest until he felt better, but those times the curtains were closed, lights off, so he could rest. I never recall hearing any noises, but then I am told I am deaf. :eek:

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!!

You spoke too soon. I just booked. No HH's available on the HAL website. :( just when I was convinced.

We settled for a lovely G for a great price in the very aft.

Oh well. We're officially going on a cruise!!! :D

You spoke too soon. I just booked. No HH's available on the HAL website. :( just when I was convinced.

We settled for a lovely G for a great price in the very aft.

Oh well. We're officially going on a cruise!!! :D

When are you going on the cruise? My daughter's cruise is June 12 and the HHs became available about two weeks ago. If you think you might like to try the HH, just keep watching. I checked once a day for my daughter and when they became available, they emailed their agent, who moved them into the HH from the J they originally booked. The price difference was only $10 pp.

If you are happy where you are at, great!!! I could easily book an inside, since we don't spend much time in the cabin. My only real concern about an inside is what if one of us got sick and was quarantined to our room. I just think it would be nice to see outside in that case. However, I am the ultimate worry wort. :eek:

They must have renumbered the staterooms since 2007; we had 3384 and it was starboard side now it is on the port side.

We had no complaints about the cabin except that we wish the chair wasn't there! The loveseat seems enough for 2 in the cabin. Access to the promenade deck was quick and convenient - and we saw whales from early in the morning approaching Juneau.

When are you going on the cruise? My daughter's cruise is June 12 and the HHs became available about two weeks ago. If you think you might like to try the HH, just keep watching. I checked once a day for my daughter and when they became available, they emailed their agent, who moved them into the HH from the J they originally booked. The price difference was only $10 pp.

If you are happy where you are at, great!!! I could easily book an inside, since we don't spend much time in the cabin. My only real concern about an inside is what if one of us got sick and was quarantined to our room. I just think it would be nice to see outside in that case. However, I am the ultimate worry wort. :eek:

June 28th.

The G is a outside porthole view. Just not a full window. Fine for me. The weird thing was that the G cabins were almost $90 less than an interior. go figure.

We'll keep watching. DH is OCD when planning and has snagged us great upgrades on our last two cruises through his eternal vigilance. :)

They must have renumbered the staterooms since 2007; we had 3384 and it was starboard side now it is on the port side.

We had no complaints about the cabin except that we wish the chair wasn't there! The loveseat seems enough for 2 in the cabin. Access to the promenade deck was quick and convenient - and we saw whales from early in the morning approaching Juneau.

In 2011 3384 was port side.

We liked having the chair. On days we ordered room service for breakfast, one of us sat on the chair and one on the couch as we shared the little table. Perhaps the room steward could store it, if you really didn't want it?

Archived