Looking for Galveston hotel close to Carnival's Port

KSnewbie

We are going on the Elation September 18th and need a hotel room close to the port. Also looking for information on best way to get from IAH airport to the hotel on 9/17. Any information would be greatly appreciated....thanks so much....KSnewbie

Hi Ksnewbie,

As an Oklahoman, I have been down to Galveston many times, though I can't say I've cruised from there just yet. Depending upon how many are in your group, perhaps the most economical way to get from IAH to Galveston would be to hire a limo service or shuttle van. You can do a google search for these companies, and since I drive down there, I don't have much experience with the companies. However, I read these boards a lot and see many, many positive reviews about the transportation companies from IAH to Galveston.

As for the hotel, there is a hotel literally right next to the pier called the Harbor House at Pier 21. (http://www.harborhousepier21.com) It's a quaint old hotel, right by the district known as The Strand, which contains probably the best shopping and dining in Galveston. However, it's nowhere near the beach and the beautiful, unspoiled-by-commercial-shipping views of the oceanfront, which are on the opposite side of the island (don't worry, it's not a big island).

We have stayed at the Hilton on Seawall Blvd. many times and have always been very pleased. On another occasion, we stayed at the Wyndham Hotel Galvez (very interesting), and another at the San Luis Resort, also very nice.

I know that several of the beachfront hotels do offer pier shuttle the next day, so if you want a nice view, you might check into some of those. If not, a taxi would be readily available and fairly inexpensive. Best of luck! I always liked the Hilton, but Galveston.com readers voted the San Luis as the best hotel there. Both are very nice !

We are staying at LaQuinta at the Seawall. They were the only place that would allow us to book just one night. We are a family of 6 so we have to book two rooms anyway so we did not want to book two rooms for two nights!:)

Hi Ksnewbie,

As an Oklahoman, I have been down to Galveston many times, though I can't say I've cruised from there just yet. Depending upon how many are in your group, perhaps the most economical way to get from IAH to Galveston would be to hire a limo service or shuttle van. You can do a google search for these companies, and since I drive down there, I don't have much experience with the companies. However, I read these boards a lot and see many, many positive reviews about the transportation companies from IAH to Galveston.

As for the hotel, there is a hotel literally right next to the pier called the Harbor House at Pier 21. (www.harborhousepier21.com) It's a quaint old hotel, right by the district known as The Strand, which contains probably the best shopping and dining in Galveston. However, it's nowhere near the beach and the beautiful, unspoiled-by-commercial-shipping views of the oceanfront, which are on the opposite side of the island (don't worry, it's not a big island).

We have stayed at the Hilton on Seawall Blvd. many times and have always been very pleased. On another occasion, we stayed at the Wyndham Hotel Galvez (very interesting), and another at the San Luis Resort, also very nice.

I know that several of the beachfront hotels do offer pier shuttle the next day, so if you want a nice view, you might check into some of those. If not, a taxi would be readily available and fairly inexpensive. Best of luck! I always liked the Hilton, but Galveston.com readers voted the San Luis as the best hotel there. Both are very nice !

Last time we flew down just in time to board the Elation, and this time we are thinking of spending the day before just looking around, so your experience is very helpful...will check out the "pretty side" of the island if the hotels offer tranportation to the Port....Thanks again

KSnewbie,

Since you might be doing some sightseeing, I thought I would chime in again with some more tips. Moody Gardens is a botanical garden/aquarium/hotel complex...it's just okay, especially if you have been to a really nice aquarium before. It's also rather expensive for what you get (in my opinion). We did horseback riding on the beach (look in your hotel lobby for brochures) and had an absolute blast. I think it was around $25pp for about a 2-hour ride along a nice, quiet beach. The horses were good ol', sturdy, well-fed Texas horses...not like the sickly ones you often see on the excursions offered in Mexico/Caribbean.

If you're interested in weather/history at all, in The Strand area there is a museum on the great hurricane of 1900-something (I forget)...they also have a pretty cool film to watch there, as well. Speaking of The Strand, if you like seafood, definitely check out one of the dockside seafood restaurants...I have never, ever had shrimp that tasted so fresh (literally right off the boat) and yummy. We usually eat at Landry's - a very delightful experience.

KSnewbie,

Since you might be doing some sightseeing, I thought I would chime in again with some more tips. Moody Gardens is a botanical garden/aquarium/hotel complex...it's just okay, especially if you have been to a really nice aquarium before. It's also rather expensive for what you get (in my opinion). We did horseback riding on the beach (look in your hotel lobby for brochures) and had an absolute blast. I think it was around $25pp for about a 2-hour ride along a nice, quiet beach. The horses were good ol', sturdy, well-fed Texas horses...not like the sickly ones you often see on the excursions offered in Mexico/Caribbean.

If you're interested in weather/history at all, in The Strand area there is a museum on the great hurricane of 1900-something (I forget)...they also have a pretty cool film to watch there, as well. Speaking of The Strand, if you like seafood, definitely check out one of the dockside seafood restaurants...I have never, ever had shrimp that tasted so fresh (literally right off the boat) and yummy. We usually eat at Landry's - a very delightful experience.

ALL INFORMATION IS APPRECIATED...WE DID NOT SIGHTSEEING THE LAST TIME, BUT WILL ONLY HAVE ABOUT A 1/2 DAY....THE FRESH SEAFOOD SOUNDS DELISH....CAN'T WAIT

The best way to get to Galveston is to fly into Houston Hobby (HOU) instead of IAH, if possible. That starts you 30 miles of Houston Freeways , often known as long parking lots, closer to Galveston.

I have stayed at several of the hotels mentioned. King rooms at the Galvez are tiny, doubles much larger. The Tremont is worth it if you can get in. La Quinta is La Quinta, dependable, clean and economical. The Harbour House is nice, and in a great location. I can usually save $40-45 booking it through Travelocity or Expedia, rather than direct. San Luis(great view if you get oceanside) and Hilton are part of Landry complex.

Unless you want touristy seafood, avoid the places at the downtown piers. The best seafood in town is Gaido's. They've been in business 94 years, and do it up right. They also have a small motel, and advertise cruise packages. With family, or for a less formal setting, go to Casey's instead of Gaido's. Same ownership, shared kitchen, and not as pricey. Try the shrimp salad to get seafood, while you tell everyone you just ate salads before the cruise.

Wherever you choose to dine, please consider the Gulf Red Snapper or any of the shrimp as those are "Gulf Treats." Lots of places try to pass off Pacific Snapper and it's far from the same. You won't be sorry!!! :)

• 1 year later...

Here I am again...this thread popped up in my user control panel after over a year!

I second (again) the Hilton on Seawall, the San Luis, and now, the newer Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort on Seawall...all beach-front properties. (Because of the sea wall, you have to cross the street for almost all hotels in Galveston, so none of them are actually ON the beach.)

If you want to stay downtown in The Strand, Tremont or Harbour House are great. I just prefer the beach in warm weather (if you're going in the winter months, remember Texas does get kinda cool and dreary sometimes, so maybe I'd prefer downtown then.)

Archived