Port or Starboard cabin on RCL Legend eastbound Panama Canal

morrison

My travel agent has booked us for a starboard cabin on t,he Legend for 4/1/2014. We are sailing south from San Diego. I thought it would be better to be on the port side so we could view the ports as we arrived. However, the starboard offers you the opportunity to view the pier. Also, I thought for the Canal your best vantage point is from outside on the top deck. I read somewhere that you don't want to stay in your cabin while going through the Canal. Has anyone recently completed this cruise and could share your experience and recommendation with me?

Thank you.

You've heard right....staying in your cabin will cause you to miss about 90% of the views! Get out...go from side to side, and to different deck levels! There are views on both sides of the ship...you're in a canal (like a ditch!!!) so there's plenty of stuff on either side! Go to the front of the ship and see what you're approaching. Go to the back of the ship and see where you've been! Check out the locks from ground level...and then from up high! It's amazing the different "feel" you get from different perspective positions!

To answer your question...either side is fine!

On a ship, "port" means "left"...it doesn't necessarily mean the side the ship docks on!!! Starboard means "right".

Archived