Maegens Bay vs. Sapphire Beach for family with two kids (9 & 5 year olds)

millertimecruising

I've heard amazing things on both of these beaches. I'm looking for recommendations on which one we can spend the day at and enjoy as a family. I've read on this forum alot on Sapphire beach and how nice it is and easy to get to by taxi's which sound like are $10 pp one way. How much is a taxi to Maegen's Bay? Could we fit both beaches in one day in about a 5 hour time span?

Well, two beaches would be very ambitious - a bit too ambitious for me, even without children. I would choose one or the other and given the kids, I would choose Magens Bay. The beach at Sapphire has a bit too many rocks and coral for my liking; I would hate for the kids to scratch their feet on the rocks. Magens is pure sand with a sandy bottom and a gradual slope. It's also very calm but there is no snorkelling. So it's really a toss up.

Cabs to Magens are a fixed price: either $8 or $9 per person each way, depending on the peir you dock at. There is also a $4 admission charge to Magens.

my kids got a kick out of snorkeling in the shallow waters of Sapphire. So if you think your kids would enjoy that I would say Sapphire. My only warning is the day we went 6 other ships were in port and the dive shop didn't have any chairs left unless you booked through a ship excursion.

Magens and Sapphire are almost on opposite ends of the island so much too far apart to do in one day. Magens is much calmer than Sapphire and other beaches but no snorkeling and it is the busiest beach on STT.

Taxi is comparable to both, Magens may be a couple $ less depending on the port.

We just stayed at the Sapphire resort a second time and even on big ship days there was plenty of room and chairs and not that crowded as compared to other beaches. I'm sure it can get more crowded some days, you never know how crowded a beach will be on any given day.

Sapphire has a very nice sandy swimming/wading area, the coral and rocky area is to the right of the nice beach area, and the seagrass area where you may spot a turtle or ray os to the left.

You could visit 2 beaches in that timeframe easily if you want that, as Coki and Sapphire are very close to one another (short taxi). Both are good for snorkeling off the beach, Coki has a more lively vibe with more vendors and some folks don't care for the neighborhood they pass through getting there. But a cery nice beach in a small bay.

Archived