FLL hotel suggestions within port vicinity

Kesstral

My husband and I are planning a trip on Allure in late October and I'm trying to be proactive and get our hotels, rental car, etc booked now. The plan is to spend 3-4 days pre-cruise in Orlando and then drive down to Fort Lauderdale the day before embarkation (we're coming from Vancouver, BC so making a big vacation out of it).

I've found a lot of posts referencing the Embassy Suites and I was wondering if there was a "recommended area" for staying the night before so I could compare prices (Embassy seems really expensive). I'm also looking to drop off the rental car the night before the cruise so there are less things to do in the morning between me and the ship, which means being close enough to shuttle or taxi (unless it would be easier to get to the port from the car rental office).

Thanks!

Many hotels in the area have rental car desks. Check around. First, Fort Lauderdale hotels are more expensive than most people expect. I would watch prices - you're looking so far out that prices may drop in the meantime. Just call and ask them to adjust your rate. So many people insist on staying on 17th St in the heart of the strip mall hell - where the Embassy Suites is. A few minutes further down the road and you can stay right on Fort Lauderdale Beach, walk on the sand, walk to a wide range of restaurants and bars and start your vacation off right. You're still only minutes away from the port. And, there are rental car desks over there too. (you're doing a one-way drop off - that's more expensive).

There are a wide range of properties and prices by the beach. I'm sure you'll find something that works for your budget. Enjoy!

Hotels in the general area of the Embassy Suites include the Hyatt, Extended Stay America, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Suites and the Crown Plaza.

www.sunny.org provides info on most of the FLL area hotels. The ES does not offer free airport shuttles if that is where you are returning your car, but a cab will only run about $13-15+tip. Good luck! :)

If you check Priceline "Express Deals" . . . there is a deal for $69 for a 3 star hotel with a 9.0 rating that offers free breakfast, free parking and free internet on your dates. It is probably the Hyatt Place in Dania Beach. Real solid hotel and $110 less than the $179 rate of the Embassy (remember, I can't guarantee it's the Hyatt but its the only hotel that fits the description fully)

Personally if keeping the car until the morning doesn't cost you an extra day, I would keep it until then, then you can just drop the car off at the airport and either take a free shuttle to the port (if your rental place has shuttle to the port) or a $15 cab ride from the airport. Always good to have a car on you.

Late October is the International Boat Show. You need to book something ASAP, as prices will likely only go up. You may need to look at the airport hotels. The aiport hotels on Stirling Rd are walking distance to stores and chain restaurants.

If you're driving down from Orlando, there's really no need to stay near the port, where hotels will almost surely be more expensive. I would be looking at somewhere just north of there, like Boca Raton. Then drive down in the morning, returning the car at one of the many rental offices near the port with free shuttles.

We really liked it. They have a small restaurant with a bar. You can walk down to the end of the street to a nice Cuban Restaurant , It is very modern and clean. Only downside is it is out by itself and a bit crowded on departure morning waiting for shuttle. We already have reservations for this fall cruise.

Archived