New to Volendam - is Category B nice?

lgarner

DH and I have sailed HAL three times before and loved HAL. We have never been on Volendam and never had a balcony - is a category B on Verandah deck near the back a nice location? Anyone been in cabins B6200 or B6201 before? Are they nice cabins? We will be over the Rotterdam Dining Room - will that be a noise problem? Any pointers welcomed.

DH and I have sailed HAL three times before and loved HAL. We have never been on Volendam and never had a balcony - is a category B on Verandah deck near the back a nice location? Anyone been in cabins B6200 or B6201 before? Are they nice cabins? We will be over the Rotterdam Dining Room - will that be a noise problem? Any pointers welcomed.

These are Verandah Suites and yes, they are very nice. Very similar to the mini suites on Princess. There is a sitting area with a sofa, table and chair and the balcony is a good size and very private. We have been in cabins over the dining rooms, and there is no noise. Also, this deck is below the Navigation Deck which is all cabins, so no noise from above. We will be in B6205 in October. It's close to the elevator, which I like. Very convenient and you don't hear the elevator noises. Bathrooms are full size and roomy.

Good choice. We are traveling in a B Veranda on the Volendam next year but we selected a more forward cabin. We have been in several B veranda cabins on the Volendam and Zandam and they are very comfortable. Hope you have a great time!

My DD and her DH were in a category A on the Navigation Deck right above the cabins in question. They loved their location, and were never bothered with noise.

I sure hope so! ;) We have B6201 booked for our Volendam cruise in January!

Toni :)

I've never stayed in one of these so far aft, but the cabins are very nice. I would reccomend trying to upgrasde to the S(Deluxe Verandah) Suites, as they are even better. You will like the Cat. B cabins, and I don't think that being over the dining room would be a problem.

Happy Cruising

We were on the Volendam for a 10-day sailing in 6212 on the Verandah Deck and don't recall any disturbances from the dining room. You will really enjoy this beautiful ship; wonderful crew, excellent service, flowers everywhere, and a more intimate atmosphere than the larger ships allowing for more interaction with the crew. The "B" cabins are very nice; comfortable with plenty of storage space. Always our preference and we've always been very pleased.

Have a wonderful cruise and let us have your thoughts upon your return.

I will be on the Volendam in a verandah cabin on deck six with friends on the October 16 cruise. I have sailed in verandah cabins on the Zaandam, the Volenndam's sister ship and we love the cabins. You will too.

Hope we have a great cruise. Looking forward to October!

for the quick and helpful responses!!

We booked tonight - two B cabins, not the ones I asked about, the agent put us in two a little farther from the elevators. We look forward to the cruise. Those going before Feb, don't forget to post a review.

Lgarner

We've been in B cabins on Zaandam (6201, 6206 and 6208) and I agree with the other posters - they're terrific. HAL used to call them "mini-suites" on the S-class and R-class ships and they are significantly bigger than the balcony cabins on the Vista class, with plenty of storage space. There is a whirlpool tub in the bathroom. The B cabins near the aft elevators are very convenient to the dining room and the Lido, especially to nip up to the Lido for a late-night snack to take back to your cabin. :D

Happy cruising,

Susan

for the quick and helpful responses!!

We booked tonight - two B cabins, not the ones I asked about, the agent put us in two a little farther from the elevators. We look forward to the cruise. Those going before Feb, don't forget to post a review.

Lgarner

I will be happy to post a review when we return and also hopefully a few pictures. :)

Patti

Just off the Volendam in 6212 (Hi, Southbound) and we are spoiled. We had a Cat B on our first cruise, went with an outside for the second, and back to Cat B for this one.

I like having that verandah. With just 2 of us, and we don't stay in the room all that much, it's a great way to have the private view without going the extra expense of the larger suites.

Nanner,

We will be close to 6212. Glad to hear you liked it. Maybe we'll have the same cabin steward - I hope you like yours. How big is the balcony? Room for two chairs and anyone standing? Is the room large enough for our friends (Cabin next door) to come over before dinner for a snack? I have read the thread that talks about ordering shrimp cocktail and having a drink before dinner and it sounds great to me. Or should we just lean over the railing and talk between balconies?

Also, is the bathtub a short one? Are the jets worth using? I love a soak in the tub - thats one of the many reasons I love HAL. I'm short enough to fit in a small tub but never saw one with jacuzzi jets.

Thanks for any info.

LGarner

What a coincidence!! I just sat down to ask about B category cabins on the Volendam and there was your post!! We are in the process of booking B6195 for next year. We've only been on one HA cruise - Oosterdam - so are anxious for all information on this smaller ship. Can anyone tell us if the new bedding has been added on this ship? The Oosterdam beds were the most comfortable we've ever slept on - on land or sea!! Thank you all for your encouraging words - keep them coming!

We've been in B cabins on Zaandam (6201, 6206 and 6208) and I agree with the other posters - they're terrific. HAL used to call them "mini-suites" on the S-class and R-class ships and they are significantly bigger than the balcony cabins on the Vista class, with plenty of storage space. There is a whirlpool tub in the bathroom. The B cabins near the aft elevators are very convenient to the dining room and the Lido, especially to nip up to the Lido for a late-night snack to take back to your cabin. :D

Happy cruising,

Susan

Hey Susan!

Did you happen to be in an HC B cabin? The Volendam is one of the ships we are considering for a cruise in 2006, and we were wondering about the configuration of the bathroom in the HC rooms.

See you in less than 5 months! :)

Hey Susan!

Did you happen to be in an HC B cabin? The Volendam is one of the ships we are considering for a cruise in 2006, and we were wondering about the configuration of the bathroom in the HC rooms.

See you in less than 5 months! :)

Hey, OW!

No, we've never sailed in an HC cabin. The regular B cabins are significantly bigger on the earlier ships than on the Vista class, but I can't say if that also applies to HC cabins. I would suggest posting a new topic on the HAL board to ask. I'm certain there are CCers out there who could tell you exactly how the cabins are configured.

Can't wait 'til Westerdam!

Susan

We are booked in Cat B cabin 6118 on the Volendam next year. We like to pick the forward B cabins for one reason only. At night the smoke from the smoke stacks can obliterate your view of the stars and the horizon so we always place ourselves in front of the smoke stacks.. We just love star gazing late at night on the veranda.

Archived