Diamond or Island for 7-day Alaska?

brainerdgal

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions about Island Princess or Diamond Princess. We're thinking of either Island northbound in August or Diamond southbound in early September.

Our previous two trips to Alaska have been on Celebrity, which we loved. We might stay with them, but thought it wouldn't hurt to explore other options for a new experience. We know nothing about Princess other than what's on their website, so any info at all will be helpful. :)

I have been on both and they are both great ships.

The Island carries about 700 less passengers than the Diamond which can make getting off of the ship in ports take a little longer on the Diamond.

But I would not hesitate to take either to Alaska.

All of the aforementioned ships are great. Study the itineraries and the convenience for you of the departure and ending ports.

The Golden to/from Seattle is very convenient for me. If you have the time and patience for the comings and goings from Vancouver and Anchorage, those are great cruises.

You can't go wrong with any of the ships, so do consider which overall itinerary works best for you.

Enjoy!

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions about Island Princess or Diamond Princess. We're thinking of either Island northbound in August or Diamond southbound in early September.

Our previous two trips to Alaska have been on Celebrity, which we loved. We might stay with them, but thought it wouldn't hurt to explore other options for a new experience. We know nothing about Princess other than what's on their website, so any info at all will be helpful. :)

We did the Diamond last year in Alaska (Vancouver to Anchorage) and loved it. We had no real issues getting off for shore excursions. Even when the line looked long, it moved fairly quickly. A much smaller ship might be worth it as it would be able to go places the big ones can't, but there isn't that much difference in size between the Island and the Diamond to make a difference on that angle.

Have read on these boards that some people are saying the Diamond is looking "tired and worn". If she is, that has happened since last May/June. She was in fine shape when we were onboard.

You are going to LOVE this trip. Enjoy.

Ann

We're been on Sapphire (sister ship to Diamond) and Island to Alaska, and as has been stated, you can't go wrong with either one. Having said that, we did prefer the Island due to its smaller size. We never felt crowded either on the ship or going ashore, we had fantastic service and great food on the Island too. So, between the two, I'd vote for the Island Princess.

All of the aforementioned ships are great. Study the itineraries and the convenience for you of the departure and ending ports.

The Golden to/from Seattle is very convenient for me. If you have the time and patience for the comings and goings from Vancouver and Anchorage' date=' those are great cruises.

You can't go wrong with any of the ships, so do consider which overall itinerary works best for you.

Enjoy![/quote']

Can you explain more about your comment "comings & goings from Vancouver & Anchorage" please. Starting to plan for Alaska cruise 2014 - likely June - and #1 on the list now is to go from Vancouver to Wittier on Princess. Thanks

I am able to find cheaper and more convenient flights to Seattle.

The Vancouver to Whittier cruise is great, for sure. In general, the flights to/from Vancouver/Whittier are generally more expensive. I am sure that some can find bargain flights.

There can be long lines for customs when arriving in Vancouver by Air. Then another long line for security at Canada Place. Then another long line for US customs, before boarding the ship. Whew.

From Whittier to Anchorage, it is a long (yet scenic) three or four hour bus or train ride.

I have done the Vancouver to Whittier cruise three times, and I love it.

I also love the quick 30 minute trip to/from the Seattle airport. So, for me, Seattle is more restful and more soothing.

Any of the cruises are great. It all depends on your patience level for the comings and goings for Seattle or Vancouver or Whittier.

I have done 11 Alaska cruises, and these days, I really like Seattle. Things were different pre-9/11. All of the cruises are great, so study the itineraries.

No matter what, enjoy!

I am able to find cheaper and more convenient flights to Seattle.

The Vancouver to Whittier cruise is great' date=' for sure. In general, the flights to/from Vancouver/Whittier are generally more expensive. I am sure that some can find bargain flights.

There can be long lines for customs when arriving in Vancouver by Air. Then another long line for security at Canada Place. Then another long line for US customs, before boarding the ship. Whew.

From Whittier to Anchorage, it is a long (yet scenic) three or four hour bus or train ride.

I have done the Vancouver to Whittier cruise three times, and I love it.

I also love the quick 30 minute trip to/from the Seattle airport. So, for me, Seattle is more restful and more soothing.

Any of the cruises are great. It all depends on your patience level for the comings and goings for Seattle or Vancouver or Whittier.

I have done 11 Alaska cruises, and these days, I really like Seattle. Things were different pre-9/11. All of the cruises are great, so study the itineraries.

No matter what, enjoy![/quote']

Customs are customs - sometimes quick, sometimes not. What is Canada Place? Transportation options for flying into Seattle for the price, then going to Vancouver? Think we will do Kenai on our own after cruise (more wildlife & some halibut fishing) then drive to Anchorage to turn in car.... price again may change how we get to Anchorage for flight. Thanks for tips

A very nice picture of Canada Place and my home town. The building with the S is where I worked for about 25 years and the highrise brownish building to the left of the sails is where my son works. All of this is to say that except on repositioning weekends in May and September, Princess uses the east side (or left side) of Canada Place. The low red brick building to the left is Waterfront Station where the Canada Line can be caught to go out to the airport (YVR) for $4, however it about a 3 block walk from Canada Place to Waterfront Station and the Canada Line platform.

Not to steal your thread - but I'm new in these parts and am cruising the Golden in August. Just curious as to why it's not an option for you?

In a nutshell, it's timing. We're from the Midwest, but my son and daughter-in-law live in Portland, OR and we're meeting them and her parents around Labor Day for a few days in Denali. We got to thinking how foolish to be in Alaska and not do another cruise! :) Work commitments and needing to either start out or end up in Anchorage narrowed the options considerably. The choices came down to one-ways on Celebrity Millenium or Princess Coral, Island, or Diamond.

Just tonight we decided that Island will best meet our needs this time around. Thanks so much to everyone who responded.

Now I'd love any input regarding Island, especially when it comes to dining or staterooms! We plan to have a cabin with a balcony, but I haven't been able to research deck plans or any other aspect of the ship yet. But there's nothing like the suggestions from CC members! Thanks again.

Now I'd love any input regarding Island, especially when it comes to dining or staterooms! We plan to have a cabin with a balcony, but I haven't been able to research deck plans or any other aspect of the ship yet. But there's nothing like the suggestions from CC members! Thanks again.

The Island is a great choice. We had a Balcony cabin on the Caribe deck (what is now a B2 category). A nice size balcony which is half covered.

If you want more interior space, a mini-suite with a balcony offers more interior space.

As for dining, you have a dinner choice of traditional fixed seating which will be either early (around 5:30 PM) or late (around 7:45 PM) or "anytime" dining which means between 5:30 and around 10 PM you can show up when you want to. Depending how many others want to eat in anytime at the same time you do, you may or may not have to wait to be seated, just like at a restaurant on land.

The decor, menus and dress code are the same in both the traditional and the anytime restaurant. If you have any questions about what is better about traditional or anytime, just ask.

Been on both but i like the smaller Island.

I like their " secret" viewing spot at the front (thats a whole other thread so you can do a search if interested) for the glaciers. And the bars seemed smaller and cozier. Just one more opinion.

You'll love the Island. We had a mini suite on Baja and loved the extra room. We were forward, which was a perfect location for viewing glaciers from the "secret" forward deck and also convenient to Horizon Court, which is at the front of the ship. We had early traditional dining, which we enjoyed as we like to attend the shows. Don't miss "On the Bayou", which is a great show only on the Island and Coral.

. . . Now I'd love any input regarding Island, especially when it comes to dining or staterooms! We plan to have a cabin with a balcony, but I haven't been able to research deck plans or any other aspect of the ship yet. But there's nothing like the suggestions from CC members! Thanks again.

Check out this fantastic site, made by a CC member. It shows which balconies are covered/uncovered. There is a page devoted to the bump out section, and there are tons of photos of nearly the entire exterior, labelled with the cabin numbers. It's an invaluable tool for cabin selection.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Archived