Back home from the Gem

azappraiser

We just got back today... unpacked, turned the computer on to check email, then jumped on Cruise Critic.

Although I kept a day by day journal of the trip, it's a bit detailed & probable too lengthy to post here. I'll be doing a review within the next few days... along with some pretty awesome photos.

Time to unwind & go to bed right now. Ask your questions... I'll do my best to answer them.

BTW - We did get to do the Chef's Table. ;)

How do you book the Chef's Table

How much is it

Can you do it alone

I travel in my own cabin with friends in theirs but they dont want to go

Thanks

We were fortunate enough to board with the early groups... among the first 6 boarding calls. As soon as we were on board, we went to the restaurant reservations desk at guest services in the atrium, and were the first two to sign up.

The dinner took place on the evening of our 2nd day at sea, the night before our first port of San Juan.

The cost is $89.00 per person, which includes some champagne before dinner, the 9-course meal with paired wines, a photo with the Executive Chef & a signed copy of the menu plus a cocktail gathering afterward... and last but not least, a galley tour the following morning.

You can do it alone... in fact, they normally seat only 12 guests for the dinner, however, they added a single to our table making 13.

We were lucky to have a group that was there to enjoy not only an incredible meal, but they all wanted to have fun as well. I would most certainly do it again. ;)

We just got back today... unpacked, turned the computer on to check email, then jumped on Cruise Critic.

Although I kept a day by day journal of the trip, it's a bit detailed & probable too lengthy to post here. I'll be doing a review within the next few days... along with some pretty awesome photos.

Time to unwind & go to bed right now. Ask your questions... I'll do my best to answer them.

Was there also an "Officer's Dinner" during your cruise?

Looking forward to reading your review. We set sail on Feb. 23 on the Gem. Specific questions:

1. How rocky was the ride out of NYC and when did it start getting better i.e. warmer?

2. Did you keep copies of the dailies? If so, could you please post them?

3. Did they offer any specials for the specialty restaurants, i.e. buy 1, get one free throughout the cruise?

What did you do in Samana?

Thank you.

I'm still working on the review...trying to get it done as soon as possible, along with getting back to the real world; laundry, work, grocery shopping & life in general. Here's some answers to to your questions:

Looking forward to reading your review. We set sail on Feb. 23 on the Gem. Specific questions:

1. How rocky was the ride out of NYC and when did it start getting better i.e. warmer?

The seas were fairly calm all the way to San Juan and around the other islands. We did hit a "low pressure system" that made for a pretty rough ride throughout our third day at sea and through that night. You could use the hot tubs on the first sea day and the sunbathers were out on the second. Just the reverse on the way back.

2. Did you keep copies of the dailies? If so, could you please post them?

I did keep copies of the dailies, however, it will take some time to scan & post them all.

3. Did they offer any specials for the specialty restaurants, i.e. buy 1, get one free throughout the cruise?

There was a pre-cruise special on the NCL web site prior to sailing for Le Bistro, Cagney's and Teppanyaki saving $8.00 per person, but we passed on it. I don't recall seeing any other special offers.

What did you do in Samana?

We took the tender into town and walked around a bit... taking pictures and shopping at the "flea market." DW picked up some more Larimar earrings (3 pair) and I found a nice painting & a pair of carved wooden masks. I don't think we spent more than $50. We probbly spent no more than 2 hours walking along the waterfront, then caught a tender back to the ship.

Thank you.

BTW - Our children couldn't come with us... NCL doesn't allow dogs on board. :rolleyes: Actually, DW and & I don't have any kids, so I can't answer any questions about the available activities or programs... sorry. :(

Archived