"Sunshine" ship documentary?

JAMESCC

Do you think there will be a "building of" program or documentary of the new "Sunshine" ships being built by Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany? One of these cool in depth looks from the Discovery channel or Destination America that shows the ship being built from first cut to fitting out?

Is that something that is set up by the channel or RCCL? Its a great showcase of the ship and a running commercial for the cruise line. I hope they are making one. I love all these cruise ship building programs/documentaries. I think I've seen them all, at least the more recent ones.

I ahve seen thses shows about Oasis, the Freedoms, and I beleive Voyager [although that one was only on the all RCI all the time channel on board a cruise. I think it is a safe bet there will be a show of some sort about Quantum.

Yeah it would be smart. I saw programs on other lines too, I think it was the Queen Mary II. Yeah that was it, beautiful ship. Actually maybe that wasn't on the building, maybe just the inner working of how the ship runs on a typical transatlantic voyage. Incredible ship nonetheless.

I too would love a show on the Quantum Class. I have the Freedom and Oasis DVR'd and I pull it out occasionally and make people that haven't ever cruised watch them :p On the Adventure I sat in the room and watched the one on the Voyager.

I have also seen The one about Independence [i think] as the culmination of passenger ship design [before Oasis]. There have been a few about Oasis, one about the building, one about the turn around day, and one about the maiden cruise [which includes some of our CC friends -- look for the pink boas]. There was also one about Radiance on an Alaska cruise and one about Radiance [or at least a Radiance class ship] getting a hole cut in her side to add a new engine. I have also seen one about a dry dock [i think it was a Sovereign class ship]. And don't forget Smantha Brown on Brilliance and Freedom. Then she ratted and did a couple for Carnival. I have also seen a building of about the QM2 and I think a voyage of that ship. There was recently one about Norwegian Epic and there was one about the business of cruising based on a NCL ship.

Refresh my memory, but there was one on the building of a RCCL ship and when they finish building it the bearing in one of the engines is bad and needs to be replaced. I think it was Oasis? Imagine spending over a billion dollars on a ship, and before they can even take ownership a big part in the engine is bad and needs to be replaced. It was a HUGE part too, I remember it being a pain to replace. I'm pretty sure it was Oasis. That was the one where they showed the Sea trials with Captain Wright. That was really cool too.

I was just watching the YouTube video about the announcement for the Sunshine class ship and thinking the very same thing. It seems they already have some video in the hopper, with the announcement stuff.

I think it would depend on what "different" features this ship has. What sets it apart from Oasis or Freedom?

Those things are pricey to produce, being as so much of it shot overseas, and takes a lot of time to put together.

But I would LOVE to see a new one. I think my brain is tired of watching the Oasis and Freedom shows EVERY TIME they come on - LOL!

Hubby has already given me the green light to book either Quantum or Anthem in 2015 - as God as my witness!

Ann

Refresh my memory, but there was one on the building of a RCCL ship and when they finish building it the bearing in one of the engines is bad and needs to be replaced. I think it was Oasis? Imagine spending over a billion dollars on a ship, and before they can even take ownership a big part in the engine is bad and needs to be replaced. It was a HUGE part too, I remember it being a pain to replace. I'm pretty sure it was Oasis. That was the one where they showed the Sea trials with Captain Wright. That was really cool too.

That was Freedom. They had to dry dock it in Hamburg on the way to delivery.

I too would love a show on the Quantum Class. I have the Freedom and Oasis DVR'd and I pull it out occasionally and make people that haven't ever cruised watch them :p On the Adventure I sat in the room and watched the one on the Voyager.

I am glad to know I am not the only one with this perverse love of cruise ship videos. We have been on The Oasis class ships 5 times, and two more this year and I still watch the video once in a while:p.

We've seen all the above videos, and also the oldest one we can remember . . . the dry docking of "Sovereign of the Seas". Now, that's going back a few years.

Would be neat if they all could be packaged in one set and offered for sale on board. Or maybe at an RCCL on-line store?

Rick and Deirdra

It would be great if they did something like they did for Oasis with the dedicated blog and regular updates. A documentary would be much better, but something is better than nothing. I quite enjoyed the Oasis build site. Maybe Quantum will even make it onto an episode of Mighty Ships, just like Oasis and NCL Epic.

That was Freedom. They had to dry dock it in Hamburg on the way to delivery.

Right that was it, thanks you are correct. Amazing how they could build a brand new ship and have a bad part like that. Interesting program that was.

Right that was it, thanks you are correct. Amazing how they could build a brand new ship and have a bad part like that. Interesting program that was.

They do tend to blend, especially since Capt Wright was in charge for both Freedom and the Oasis maiden voyage shows. Can you tell I have watched both several times?

I think the problem with Freedom was conaminated oil that damaged the bearing. Those things happen, but they could not return to the dry dock in Turku because Liberty was already under construction there. So they stopped in Hamburg.

I ahve seen thses shows about Oasis, the Freedoms, and I beleive Voyager [although that one was only on the all RCI all the time channel on board a cruise. I think it is a safe bet there will be a show of some sort about Quantum.

I'm sailing on Voyager of the Seas in March and I think there was an older programme about her from the early 2000's? Too bad such a programme is not in the current playlists of TLC, Discovery Networks or Nat Geo channels that air on Foxtel in Australia.

We almost need a stickied topic with all the various documentaries showing RCI ships ;).

Here's a start:

Oasis of the Seas

Extreme Cruise Ship - Nat Geo Adventure

Megastructures: World's Biggest Cruise Ship - National Geographic

Mega Food: The World's Biggest Cruise Ship - Nat Geo Adventure

Mighty Ships - Discovery Channel Turbo Max

Freedom of the Seas

Megastructures: Colossal Cruise Ship - National Geographic

Independence of the Seas

Big, Bigger, Biggest: Cruise Ship - National Geographic

Extreme Engineering: Floating City - Discovery Science

Mariner of the Seas

Great Cruises!: Mexican Riveria - TLC

Navigator of the Seas

Great Cruises!: Caribbean - TLC

Radiance of the Seas

World's Toughest Fixes: Operation Cruise Ship - Discovery Channel

Brilliance of the Seas

Great Cruises!: Mediterranean - TLC

Rhapsody of the Seas

Great Cruises!: Asia - TLC

There is also a programme on TLC titled "Cruises We Love" which seems to be a repackaged "Great Cruises" cut down to 30 minute episodes. Note that the TV channel names are based on the Foxtel (Australia) region, and may be called something else in other countries.

Who said anything about a cruise ship addiction??? ;)

They do tend to blend, especially since Capt Wright was in charge for both Freedom and the Oasis maiden voyage shows. Can you tell I have watched both several times?

I think the problem with Freedom was conaminated oil that damaged the bearing. Those things happen, but they could not return to the dry dock in Turku because Liberty was already under construction there. So they stopped in Hamburg.

Yes they do seem to blend together. Interesting info, I remember they had to go to Germany to fix the issue. Crazy something like that happen, but I guess it sometimes does. Better to find out before she starts service then on the maiden voyage somewhere out at sea. I would LOVE to go on one of these ship for sea trials, although I hear they do some pretty scary maneuvers. They real turn the ship very hard, they list the ship to the side I think for long periods of time. They get her to top speed too, but that's not scary. I hear they do some crazy maneuvers though.

Yes they do seem to blend together. Interesting info, I remember they had to go to Germany to fix the issue. Crazy something like that happen, but I guess it sometimes does. Better to find out before she starts service then on the maiden voyage somewhere out at sea. I would LOVE to go on one of these ship for sea trials, although I hear they do some pretty scary maneuvers. They real turn the ship very hard, they list the ship to the side I think for long periods of time. They get her to top speed too, but that's not scary. I hear they do some crazy maneuvers though.

I saw a video of sea trials for a Nimitz class aircraft carrier [my TV viewing habits are pretty predictable] where they turned the ship as sharply as possible, I believe at full speed or at least as higha speed as possible, inducing a significant list [or is it "heeling"?]. I would not have wanted to be on the flight deck during that maneuver. I don't know if the sea trials for a cruise ship are quite as rigorous, but I am sure they do things they would not [at least not on purpose] with passengers on board.

I sould have added as to the bearing problem with Freedom, I suspect that the filmers exagerate things just a bit, making them seem more serious. The engineer being interviewed during the replacement effort said things that led me to believe it was one of those things that would probably have been OK for a while, but you [RCI in this case] insist they are perfect before accepting delivery. The engineers also point out that the dry dock gave them an opportunity to look at how the remaining azipods were performing and wearing, so it provided a big benefit.

I remember the documentary series on the port of LA from a few years ago that included an episode on Monarch which was sailing from there at the time. In the show, you got the impression that the wind almost caused a collision with another vessel as the pilot was attempting to bring Monnarch to the pier. At the last minute, Captain Karin took control from the pilot and got the ship to the pier without mishap. I was aboard Monarch shortly after that episode aired [for Monarch's last 2 LA cruises] and Capt Karin was asked about it. She indicated it was not nearly as big a deal as the show prortrayed it to be -- there was never any real danger of collision.

I hope so. I love seeing what goes into building a ship. There is a short little video posted on the RCCL site now highlighting the first steel cutting. When Oasis was being built I remember RCCL producing small videos from time to time. The full length productions on TV are better though.:)

I sould have added as to the bearing problem with Freedom, I suspect that the filmers exagerate things just a bit, making them seem more serious. The engineer being interviewed during the replacement effort said things that led me to believe it was one of those things that would probably have been OK for a while, but you [RCI in this case] insist they are perfect before accepting delivery. The engineers also point out that the dry dock gave them an opportunity to look at how the remaining azipods were performing and wearing, so it provided a big benefit.

I remember the documentary series on the port of LA from a few years ago that included an episode on Monarch which was sailing from there at the time. In the show, you got the impression that the wind almost caused a collision with another vessel as the pilot was attempting to bring Monnarch to the pier. At the last minute, Captain Karin took control from the pilot and got the ship to the pier without mishap. I was aboard Monarch shortly after that episode aired [for Monarch's last 2 LA cruises] and Capt Karin was asked about it. She indicated it was not nearly as big a deal as the show prortrayed it to be -- there was never any real danger of collision.

I guess for a billion dollars you want things perfect, I would.

Archived