Our DIY St Martin Report - Marigot, Maho, Butterflies, LaGalion

VirtualRain

Before I start, a special thank you to Gary and Karysa (and many others) for their great assistance in helping me plan this day.

Last time we visited St Martin a couple of years ago we spent the day wandering Phillipsburg. This time we decided to explore more of the island by renting a car. We planned to visit Marigot in the morning, Maho around lunch time and the head to LaGalion beach and the Butterfly farm in the afternoon.

The Oasis of the Seas (our ship) was in port from 8AM to 5PM ships time which translated to 9AM to 6PM local time. If you're planning anything on a schedule, make sure you know if your ship's time will differ from local time as that could easily throw things off.

Car Rental

I booked a car through the Hertz International call center which of course ends up with the local franchise on the island <http://hertz.sxmrentacar.com>. They were well organized and professional which is a lot more than I can say about some other local car rental agencies I've used in the Caribbean. The price of a car rental at this time of year in St Martin is extraordinarily high... $94 for an economy car. The cheapest I could find was only $20 less though. We opted to go with Hertz because of the corporate reputation. When we picked up our car, I noticed their fleet was all relatively new Jeeps, Toyota Corollas or larger vans with minimal wear. I would highly recommend them.

There were signs directing cruise passengers from the pier to the car rental area inside the cruise terminal area. There are a number of rental agency offices right on site... (link to a photo on Google)

With Hertz, you fill out the paperwork at the office above and and then they will take you in a van to the lot where they keep the cars which is very nearby (just down the road and across the street from the cruise terminal).

Map, Routes and Traffic

I've created a Google Map with the key points of interest we wanted to see and the routes to get there. You'll see we've intentionally plotted routes that avoid the Simpson Bay area which is notorious for bad traffic.

Google Map Link

We started out at the pier and took the shortest route to Marigot which includes a short cut via Arlet Peters Rd that goes up and over a hill with a fantastic view point on the other side of the entire lagoon area.

Here's the view looking towards Simpson Bay...

p1418258356-4.jpg

With a photo stop, it took about 30min. to get to Marigot and traffic in Marigot was heavy, even at 10AM. It was absolutely bumper to bumper when we returned through Marigot around 1PM and took 20min to traverse town via the waterfront.

Traffic outside of Marigot was relatively smooth except for a bit of a backup north of Marigot on the way to the French airport where some construction was going on. Average speeds were about 20-40kph as taxis tend to go ridiculously slow over the numerous speed bumps that populate the roads at various points.

Here are the driving times for the routes we took (as shown on the map - times mentioned are local time)

• Pier to Marigot: 30 min (at 10AM)
  • Marigot to Maho: 20 min (at 11:30AM)
  • Maho to LaGalion: 60 min (at 1PM), 20 min to Marigot, 20 min thru Marigot, 20 min the rest of the way
  • LaGalion to Pier: 20 min (at 3:30PM)

Marigot

Here's a map of Marigot...

marigot_waterfront.gif

We started at Fort Lewis, parking the car in the lot there and walking up the hill to the fort.

Here's the view of Marigot from the wall of the fort...

p1418258686-4.jpg

We didn't linger long there and proceeded to walk down the hill to town (leaving the car in the lot for the Fort). We strolled along the main water front street, checking out a few shops including the famous Sarafina's bakery...

p1418259510-4.jpg

We then headed back through the market place, bought a couple of souvineirs and proceeded back to the car to continue our tour of the island.

Maho Beach

This was high on my list of places to visit to witness the jets take off and land at SXM airport. It was worth the trek and I'd probably spend even more time here on a future visit. The place is a lot of fun with the Sunset Bar and Grill adjacent to the beach and the end of the runway offring cheap beer and live music (didn't sample the food).

We parked in the lot for the resort at the end of the beach. I was expecting to pay to park, but never found anyone collecting.

I had done some research on flight arrivals ahead of time and knew that both American and United were flying larger planes into SXM around 1PM the day we were there. There's a few ways to find out what time planes will be arriving while you are there:

1. The Sunset Bar postes the day's schedule on a blackboard

2. The SXM airport website will show you arrivals and departures for the current date (you can check on a day of the week similar to yours a week or two in advance to get an idea of what will be going on the day you are there)

3. Flightstats.com allows you to check SXM airport arrivals and departures up to a few days ahead of time. Again, you can do this a week or two prior for the same day of the week you'll be thre.

4. The only real way to do this research well in advance with any confidence is to consult the individual airline schedules that service SXM. You can check United (via Newark), American and Jet Blue (via JFK), Delta (via Atlanta), and Air France (via Paris), and KLM (via Amsterdam) for the date you're there.

Besides the bigger jets, there's a constant stream of small commuter planes and private jets coming and going all day long.

The United and American flights I was planning to watch were both early the day we were there... the American flight was 45min early and the United flight 30min. early. This was great, but if you're hoping to take photos, be watching the sky to the west for planes or you might miss some opportunities.

Here's a couple of photos of a Canadian charter jet...

p1418260600-4.jpg

p1418261010-4.jpg

We also saw a couple of planes take off, which was perhaps even more dramatic than watching them land, as the jet blast had enough force to create a sandstorm on the beach even when the planes were half way down the runway!

My GF was not particularly thrilled with this stop as she wanted beach time and the beach at Maho is not great. It's a narrow strip of sand that slopes steeply into the water which results in some significant waves crashing the beach making it uncomfortable for beginners swimmers. It also offers no shade, and was packed with people meaning all chairs and umbrellas were spoken for by the time we arrived around noon.

As a result we hung out at the Sunset bar constantly jockying with dozens of other folks for a seat in the shade, had a couple of beers, took some video/photos (above) and then we left after the United flight arrived at around 12:45PM.

Edited by VirtualRain

Butterfly Farm

Never having been to a butterfly farm, and being somewhat of a photography enthusiast, I really wanted to stop briefly at the butterfly farm, which worked out well since it's adjacent to LaGalion beach where we wanted to spend a couple of hours.

The butterfly farm costs $15 pp if you're staying on the island and that includes unlimited access for the duration of your stay. If you're only there for the day on a cruise, it costs $13. The admission price includes a free rum punch drink, access to the butterfly gardens (which are covered by netting) and a 15 min. tour/lecture on butterflies from one of the experts on staff.

They let you wander around and after 10 minutes will collect everyone who hasn't heard the lecture and give you some information about butterflies. The most amazing fact for me, was that they only live a few days. Something I probably knew as a kid but long since forgot.

They have quite a variety of different butterfiles... here are just a few, including one unique pattern that makes the butterfly look like an owl to ward of predators.

p1418264170-4.jpg

p1418264540-4.jpg

p1418265192-4.jpg

p1418263904-4.jpg

La Galion Beach

LaGalion Beach is largely undeveloped in a beautiful post-card like setting. At the north end, it's a bit more developed with palm trees, a broad white sand beach, and really calm shallow turqouse water. Further down the beach it's undeveloped and offers very private shady areas to relax amongst the foilage thats encroaching on the beach. Mid way, there's a water sport rental place. The water further down is also shallow but a litte more wavy than at the north end. You can walk out a long ways before the water is up to your waist. You can litterally drive your car within feet of the beach at any location along it's length as there is a network of sandy roads that run the length of the beach. Out by the reef, you can see people surfing and wind surfing. It wasn't very busy at all the afternoon we were there. Here are a couple of pictures...

p1418274548-4.jpg

p1418271224-4.jpg

We left La Galion beach with plenty of time to spare (about 3:30PM) but by the time you factor in the drive back, returning the car, and getting back to the ship, you need a good hour for all that.

Overall, it was a very successful day and a great way to see a lot that St. Martin has to offer in a short time.

Excellent report Mr. Rain....and excellent pic's. We'll be heading to St Martin next month. After doing Orient and the town beach a few times we were thinking of heading to Maho for something different. Besides watching the planes though, would also need to make it a decent beach day. Your review of the beach, and many others I've read, doesn't make it sound to promising. Any chance you'd have a few more pics of the Maho beach area....maybe of the people just chillin' on their loungers?

I'm seeing those green umbrellas under the Canadian plane...they look like they'd be out of the way of the planes turbulance, no? I would like to experience the landing up close and personal, but would also just like to observe from the comfort of my lounger at a distance also.

Excellent report Mr. Rain....and excellent pic's. We'll be heading to St Martin next month. After doing Orient and the town beach a few times we were thinking of heading to Maho for something different. Besides watching the planes though, would also need to make it a decent beach day. Your review of the beach, and many others I've read, doesn't make it sound to promising. Any chance you'd have a few more pics of the Maho beach area....maybe of the people just chillin' on their loungers?

I'm seeing those green umbrellas under the Canadian plane...they look like they'd be out of the way of the planes turbulance, no? I would like to experience the landing up close and personal, but would also just like to observe from the comfort of my lounger at a distance also.

I didn't bother to take a photo of the beach area, but I can assure you that either end of the beach is well out of the flight path and that's of course where most people lounge. The beach is probably a hundred yards long with only the very middle part getting sand-blasted by planes taking off.

Here's some other picture borrowed from Google Images that shows what I'm talking about...

Tourists-At-Maho-Beach.jpg

Edited by VirtualRain

Brillant photos what type of lense and camera did you use.

Thanks!!!

I have a Canon 5D Mark III and on this day I left the ship with two lenses... My trusty everyday "walk-around" lens, Canon's 24-105 f/4 IS L, and my telephoto zoom, Canon's 70-300 L. I used the Telephoto for the planes at Maho and the butterfly farm (as it has semi Macro capability).

If you're interested in more, I wrote a bit of an essay on all this here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35864556&postcount=12

Thanks for the report and the great photos.

gary

So great to hear back from you. Glad you had a great day and thanks for the helpful information and beautiful pictures.

Thank you both again for all your help planning my day! It was a great visit to such a beautiful island!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the wonderful report. I was wondering if there is a way to print out the exact directions of your tour around the island from your google map? Thank you!

Yes, in Google Maps there should be a list of places of interest in the left column... Including the routes which you can click on to get driving directions.

• 3 months later...

No Ferry!

Google Maps is totally messed up on this route.

The first half or so is correct, but you would travel along Union Road, not towards the airport and some ferry.

See if this link to Google Maps works for you.

gary

Thank you that worked much better.:) Does that route take me past the view point you spoke about in your trip?

No... Gary's map does not include the view point. I've fixed the route on my map in the first post... this includes the route over the hill on Arlet Peter's Rd. with the view point (marked on the map with a pin)...

Google Map of St. Martin

Edited by VirtualRain

Excellent Review!

Wifey wants to hit the markets at Marigot, and we want a nice quite relaxing beach like LaGalion Beach. No Maho for us, she works near an airport and planes fly over all the time.

I think we'll use all that you've provided as a basis for Marigot and LaGalion Beach trip.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...
Before I start, a special thank you to Gary and Karysa (and many others) for their great assistance in helping me plan this day.

Last time we visited St Martin a couple of years ago we spent the day wandering Phillipsburg. This time we decided to explore more of the island by renting a car. We planned to visit Marigot in the morning, Maho around lunch time and the head to LaGalion beach and the Butterfly farm in the afternoon.

The Oasis of the Seas (our ship) was in port from 8AM to 5PM ships time which translated to 9AM to 6PM local time. If you're planning anything on a schedule, make sure you know if your ship's time will differ from local time as that could easily throw things off.

Car Rental

I booked a car through the Hertz International call center which of course ends up with the local franchise on the island <http://hertz.sxmrentacar.com>. They were well organized and professional which is a lot more than I can say about some other local car rental agencies I've used in the Caribbean. The price of a car rental at this time of year in St Martin is extraordinarily high... $94 for an economy car. The cheapest I could find was only $20 less though. We opted to go with Hertz because of the corporate reputation. When we picked up our car, I noticed their fleet was all relatively new Jeeps, Toyota Corollas or larger vans with minimal wear. I would highly recommend them.

There were signs directing cruise passengers from the pier to the car rental area inside the cruise terminal area. There are a number of rental agency offices right on site... (link to a photo on Google)

With Hertz, you fill out the paperwork at the office above and and then they will take you in a van to the lot where they keep the cars which is very nearby (just down the road and across the street from the cruise terminal).

Map, Routes and Traffic

I've created a Google Map with the key points of interest we wanted to see and the routes to get there. You'll see we've intentionally plotted routes that avoid the Simpson Bay area which is notorious for bad traffic.

Google Map Link

We started out at the pier and took the shortest route to Marigot which includes a short cut via Arlet Peters Rd that goes up and over a hill with a fantastic view point on the other side of the entire lagoon area.

Here's the view looking towards Simpson Bay...

p1418258356-4.jpg

With a photo stop, it took about 30min. to get to Marigot and traffic in Marigot was heavy, even at 10AM. It was absolutely bumper to bumper when we returned through Marigot around 1PM and took 20min to traverse town via the waterfront.

Traffic outside of Marigot was relatively smooth except for a bit of a backup north of Marigot on the way to the French airport where some construction was going on. Average speeds were about 20-40kph as taxis tend to go ridiculously slow over the numerous speed bumps that populate the roads at various points.

Here are the driving times for the routes we took (as shown on the map - times mentioned are local time)

• Pier to Marigot: 30 min (at 10AM)
  • Marigot to Maho: 20 min (at 11:30AM)
  • Maho to LaGalion: 60 min (at 1PM), 20 min to Marigot, 20 min thru Marigot, 20 min the rest of the way
  • LaGalion to Pier: 20 min (at 3:30PM)

Marigot

Here's a map of Marigot...

marigot_waterfront.gif

We started at Fort Lewis, parking the car in the lot there and walking up the hill to the fort.

Here's the view of Marigot from the wall of the fort...

p1418258686-4.jpg

We didn't linger long there and proceeded to walk down the hill to town (leaving the car in the lot for the Fort). We strolled along the main water front street, checking out a few shops including the famous Sarafina's bakery...

p1418259510-4.jpg

We then headed back through the market place, bought a couple of souvineirs and proceeded back to the car to continue our tour of the island.

Maho Beach

This was high on my list of places to visit to witness the jets take off and land at SXM airport. It was worth the trek and I'd probably spend even more time here on a future visit. The place is a lot of fun with the Sunset Bar and Grill adjacent to the beach and the end of the runway offring cheap beer and live music (didn't sample the food).

We parked in the lot for the resort at the end of the beach. I was expecting to pay to park, but never found anyone collecting.

I had done some research on flight arrivals ahead of time and knew that both American and United were flying larger planes into SXM around 1PM the day we were there. There's a few ways to find out what time planes will be arriving while you are there:

1. The Sunset Bar postes the day's schedule on a blackboard

2. The SXM airport website will show you arrivals and departures for the current date (you can check on a day of the week similar to yours a week or two in advance to get an idea of what will be going on the day you are there)

3. Flightstats.com allows you to check SXM airport arrivals and departures up to a few days ahead of time. Again, you can do this a week or two prior for the same day of the week you'll be thre.

4. The only real way to do this research well in advance with any confidence is to consult the individual airline schedules that service SXM. You can check United (via Newark), American and Jet Blue (via JFK), Delta (via Atlanta), and Air France (via Paris), and KLM (via Amsterdam) for the date you're there.

Besides the bigger jets, there's a constant stream of small commuter planes and private jets coming and going all day long.

The United and American flights I was planning to watch were both early the day we were there... the American flight was 45min early and the United flight 30min. early. This was great, but if you're hoping to take photos, be watching the sky to the west for planes or you might miss some opportunities.

Here's a couple of photos of a Canadian charter jet...

p1418260600-4.jpg

p1418261010-4.jpg

We also saw a couple of planes take off, which was perhaps even more dramatic than watching them land, as the jet blast had enough force to create a sandstorm on the beach even when the planes were half way down the runway!

My GF was not particularly thrilled with this stop as she wanted beach time and the beach at Maho is not great. It's a narrow strip of sand that slopes steeply into the water which results in some significant waves crashing the beach making it uncomfortable for beginners swimmers. It also offers no shade, and was packed with people meaning all chairs and umbrellas were spoken for by the time we arrived around noon.

As a result we hung out at the Sunset bar constantly jockying with dozens of other folks for a seat in the shade, had a couple of beers, took some video/photos (above) and then we left after the United flight arrived at around 12:45PM.

We are in St. Maarten next month and are thinking about doing this. How did you find the local drivers? and was parking relatively easy to find (and free?) at the spots you stopped?