Stay off the Triumph

zeddy777

No. He was expressing displeasure with the cruise.

What happened now was unrelated but indeed coincidental to his statement.

:confused:

He said the engine was running at half power throughout the cruise, and you dismiss that as coincidence?

Was that the first time propulsion problems were reported on this ship?

No. He was expressing displeasure with the cruise.

What happened now was unrelated but indeed coincidental to his statement.

Displeasure...unrelated...coincidental??? OP forewarned everyone to stay away from Triumph because of mechanical issues 3 days before an engine room fire and loss of all power (except backup generators). Just to clarify, the mechanical issues occurred during OP's cruise the week before; his prophetic forewarning was posted three (3) days before the fire.

Boy Carnival sure has some piece of carp ships, I think the need to send some to the scrap heap! It is occuring way to often to say it is a coincidence, they need to take some of that money that Micky Arison is stockpiling in his bank account and truly fix some of his distressed ships!:eek: They keep putting off repairs and saying nothing is wrong with their ship when I'm sure somebody knew they should have taken it out of service to fix it, but the almighty dollar is too important!!!:mad::mad::mad:

I think it's interesting that it's consistently Carnival's newer generation ships having these major mechanical problems... think Destiny class on. I believe that's around when they started building the ships more cheaply and quickly at Fincantieri in Italy.

A bartender who had been with the line for 13 years on many different ships told me on Splendor when she was brand new sailing out of Fort Lauderdale (before going to the west coast and having her famous incident) that the new ships just seemed to be more cheaply built than the earlier ships. I more or less disregarded the comment since he was a bartender, not a technical employee. Sure enough, his words proved prophetic after Splendor moved west... poor guy may well have still been on the ship at that point.

Destiny has had propulsion problems many times over. Now this with Triumph. We all know about Splendor. Off the top of my head, Dream had issues with misdirected exhaust causing odors. Magic had mechanical issues (propulsion?) right after she entered service. What's next?

I think Carnival would be wise to invest a little more money into building better quality ships and a little more attention to maintaining their existing ships... but that's just MHO, what do I know.

Displeasure...unrelated...coincidental??? OP forewarned everyone to stay away from Triumph because of mechanical issues 3 days before an engine room fire and loss of all power (except backup generators). Just to clarify, the mechanical issues occurred during OP's cruise the week before; his prophetic forewarning was posted three (3) days before the fire.

yes, but in reading back, his cruise was Jan. 28, repairs made on propulsion, back early on Feb. 2 (sounds like "something was fixed). There must have been another sailing prior to the fire/electrical incident cruise.

Don't worry. By May, this problem should be fixed. When this same thing happened to me on Celebration, the ship was fixed within a couple sailings. Don't worry about it.

Turns out to be no so great advice:rolleyes:

There might be a spot for you in the ccl engineering group.

yes, but in reading back, his cruise was Jan. 28, repairs made on propulsion, back early on Feb. 2 (sounds like "something was fixed). There must have been another sailing prior to the fire/electrical incident cruise.

The cruise immediately prior to OP's had mechanical issues too.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=114647

We experienced continued propulsion issues and were later getting in. Instead of arriving back in Galveston around 7:30am we arrived at 1:30 pm

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=114623

we were told the night before that the engines were damaged and that we would arrive in Galveston late

In December she also had mechanical trouble

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112600

An unexpected occurrence with the ship's propeller/malfunction in the speed of the ship caused a delay in Cozumel and instead of leaving port at 5, we disembarked after 9pm! This caused a delay in reaching Galvestonm instead of reaching in the morning at 9 on final day, we reached at 3.30p!!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112919

First disappointment was minor mechanical problem that made ship late to arrive and even later to depart at 10pm. We were first told that our time in Cozumel would be cut short...

So when OP posted it was at least the 3rd recent sailing with mechanical trouble. Yet, you dismiss it out of hand as a coincidence ... and some other posters compared it to complaining about the weather.

I'm sure CCL wouldn't send a broken ship out to sea but, I'm wondering just how much attention issues receive with the endless use the ships receive between drydocks.

I think it's interesting that it's consistently Carnival's newer generation ships having these major mechanical problems... think Destiny class on. I believe that's around when they started building the ships more cheaply and quickly at Fincantieri in Italy.

A bartender who had been with the line for 13 years on many different ships told me on Splendor when she was brand new sailing out of Fort Lauderdale (before going to the west coast and having her famous incident) that the new ships just seemed to be more cheaply built than the earlier ships. I more or less disregarded the comment since he was a bartender, not a technical employee. Sure enough, his words proved prophetic after Splendor moved west... poor guy may well have still been on the ship at that point.

Destiny has had propulsion problems many times over. Now this with Triumph. We all know about Splendor. Off the top of my head, Dream had issues with misdirected exhaust causing odors. Magic had mechanical issues (propulsion?) right after she entered service. What's next?

I think Carnival would be wise to invest a little more money into building better quality ships and a little more attention to maintaining their existing ships... but that's just MHO, what do I know.

I agree, it certainly seems like the Fincantieri ships have a lot more problems than their Kvaerner Masa built fleet mates.

I'm sure CCL wouldn't send a broken ship out to sea but, I'm wondering just how much attention issues receive with the endless use the ships receive between drydocks.

I doubt they'd send a ship out unless it was a known fixable thing in transit. But those mechanical parts never stop except in dry dock. If the electrical system was showing bad signs, I don't believe Carnival nor any cruiseline would let a ship sail.

I shouldn't equate it to my car, but my car just flat died this week, no warning. Some linkage snapped. Did I even surmise it would happen? No. If I had warning, yes, a fix would prevent it.

Now, I've said things here based only from the start of this thread, so if there was issues prior to that, I apologize. I see another poster had some words for me and some older posts from other threads, I won't even open the links to see what he was trying to say to prove me wrong.

Thank you OP. You were 100% correct. So many cheerleaders here questioned your wisdom.

Yes I was frustrated, but the intent was not totally to bash a good company. But there is a problem when the halls smell like sewage, lights fall off the walls and the motors are not running right when the ship leaves Galveston. Yes, their email regarding problems was sent Sunday while we were enroute. And when I called for the dining room's Matrede (sp?) and asked him what was wrong, he honestly said "We don't know."

We will hopefully sail with them again next January. Those that are booked with them over the next month, I'd change plans or ships. This ship is in need of repair that's gonna take more than bandaids.

I doubt they'd send a ship out unless it was a known fixable thing in transit. But those mechanical parts never stop except in dry dock.

The problem is that taking drastic steps to fix a problem (like an emergency drydock) costs a lot of money and generates bad publicity. So it's a lot easier for a company to convince itself that it's come up with a simple fix to a problem, whether that's true or not.

Until they get proved spectacularly wrong.

What's the most worrisome, is I worry about the maintenance of CCL's ships. As many people have had warning or concerns regarding this ship and yet it still sailed without the problem being repaired or at least properly repaired or replaced.

I know I sailed on the Elation and reported about several issues on the ship (maintenance related) and weeks later, people complained about the same things. Makes one wonder if customers can see items not being repaired, or properly repaired, it makes you wonder what's behind the scene.

Imagine going to a restaurant to eat and finding roaches in the dining room. you can only imagine what the kitchen would look like.

Perhaps CCL needs to overhaul the MX program.

I doubt they'd send a ship out unless it was a known fixable thing in transit. But those mechanical parts never stop except in dry dock. If the electrical system was showing bad signs, I don't believe Carnival nor any cruiseline would let a ship sail.

I shouldn't equate it to my car, but my car just flat died this week, no warning. Some linkage snapped. Did I even surmise it would happen? No. If I had warning, yes, a fix would prevent it.

Now, I've said things here based only from the start of this thread, so if there was issues prior to that, I apologize. I see another poster had some words for me and some older posts from other threads, I won't even open the links to see what he was trying to say to prove me wrong.

Well said!! I can go one step further. Got my car back from being repaired and 3 days later it broke down again. Dang, I wish I knew that was going to happen. I wouldn't have driven it so far from home.

I'm sure they wouldn't send a ship out that they didn't think was fixed.

This thread and OP have proven prophetic.

I feel like CCers need to be more willing to call out mechanical issues and not dismiss them like some have in this thread. If they happen on multiple sailings it may foreshadow more serious trouble. And it only makes sense to switch to a more reliable ship.

exactly. I just got off the Destiny, was assured it would be fine even though the cruise before us didn't make their ports due to propulsion problems. We missed our ports and were very disappointed. Seems like they don't really keep up iwth the mechanical issues on Carnival ships.

I am so disappointed and bummed out reading the OP comments about the Triumph. Until now, I have been super excited about our upcoming cruise on her in May. But after reading this,...I just want to cancel, and not cruise at all. This was going to be my second cruise ever, and the first was so great.

I did see where Carnival emailed the passengers for that cruise, explaining about the propulsion problems and that the schedule would be altered. They offered full refunds to whomever wanted to cancel. If that had been me, I would have cancelled and picked another ship and or date to sail. Wondering if the OP was aware of the propulsion problems before boarding.

Now you won't have to worry about cancelling your May cruise but she might finally be put out of her misery and retired. If you can, try sailing on The Magic out of New Orleans.

Archived