Stay off the Triumph

zeddy777

I think it's interesting that it's consistently Carnival's newer generation ships having these major mechanical problems... think Destiny class on. I believe that's around when they started building the ships more cheaply and quickly at Fincantieri in Italy.

A bartender who had been with the line for 13 years on many different ships told me on Splendor when she was brand new sailing out of Fort Lauderdale (before going to the west coast and having her famous incident) that the new ships just seemed to be more cheaply built than the earlier ships. I more or less disregarded the comment since he was a bartender, not a technical employee. Sure enough, his words proved prophetic after Splendor moved west... poor guy may well have still been on the ship at that point.

Destiny has had propulsion problems many times over. Now this with Triumph. We all know about Splendor. Off the top of my head, Dream had issues with misdirected exhaust causing odors. Magic had mechanical issues (propulsion?) right after she entered service. What's next?

I think Carnival would be wise to invest a little more money into building better quality ships and a little more attention to maintaining their existing ships... but that's just MHO, what do I know.

The Carnival Magic didn't have propulsion failures after entering service. The ship was docked in Civitavecchia, Italy and debris from the water got caught in the stern thrusters on the sailing right before ours, on the TA. On this occasion, it was not at the fault of Carnival. We were diverted from Grand Turk to Freeport overnight to make repairs so the Carnival Magic would successfully be able to make the 360 degree turn in Key West. If it wasn't one of the first US sailings, they probably would have ignored it and provided a quick fix (itinerary change) until the ship would go into dry dock 2-3 years later.

Last week we sailed the Triumph and were very disapointed. For over half the cruise the motor couldn't run at full power so we missed Cozumel totally. The room lights were falling and the hallway outside our door smelled like sewage several times. This ship should be docked now. If you're booked on this ship, I'd op for another Carnival ship. This was our 4th Carnival trip. The other three were good ships.

Everyone should have listened to you!

I find it interesting that SOMETIMES on CC when someone states what they have seen or smelled on a cruise they are trying to bash the line, they are never happy with a cruise anyway, they only post negative comments. And SOME CC's jump down the persons throat for there opinion yet here sits the Triumph floating in the gulf with people not being able to get off until tues/wed. So IMHO the original post should have been listened to from the start. When you read two to three posts such as the first poster for the same ship something is definately wrong! I dont mean to offend anyone on here but sometimes it seems some peoples opinions are okay and others when they tend to lead to the negative :eek:

Originally Posted by zeddy777

Last week we sailed the Triumph and were very disapointed. For over half the cruise the motor couldn't run at full power so we missed Cozumel totally. The room lights were falling and the hallway outside our door smelled like sewage several times. This ship should be docked now. If you're booked on this ship, I'd op for another Carnival ship. This was our 4th Carnival trip. The other three were good ships.

imagine getting on an airplane with a problem...and the captain saying "we don't know what the problem is" we'll figure it out at 13,000 feet...how would you feel about that? should you go ahead and take off? or cancel that flight? would you board that plane and take off?

Just had to say you made me laugh. Sounds like that FlyGlobespan carrier that used to serve our city. You could tell when their planes were getting close to the airport as you could hear the engines, which sounded like no other jet I have heard. Obviously out of whack and needed some sort of repairs. Hope they get on to this issue at Carnival as they really do have a great product.

We have a rule, never go on a ship that is over 10 years old, and if possible try for a ship that's under 5 years. We've pretty much stuck to that rule over the past 20 years and it's worked well for us.

These ships are worked to death and after a decade it's just better to go on newer ships. And in our opinion the newer the better! Generally in better shape, cleaner, has all of the latest inovations and amenities. With the selection of newer ships available we would never consider a ship that was over 10 years.

Of course anything can happen (as we saw with the Splendor & Concordia) but you will generally have more problems, particularly maintenance problems, on the older ships.

Seems like they have the situation under control with the Triumph.

Stay off the Triumph

Wow, that's a pretty steep directive, huh?

I'm sorry your cruise was disappointing.

We've been on her twice, and both cruises were amazing.

Steep and right on point as it turns out. I don't care where Carnival flags its ships, there should be a U.S. federal govt review of how Carnival has handled this ships problems given the potential for disaster with the fire.

We have a rule, never go on a ship that is over 10 years old, and if possible try for a ship that's under 5 years. We've pretty much stuck to that rule over the past 20 years and it's worked well for us.

These ships are worked to death and after a decade it's just better to go on newer ships. And in our opinion the newer the better! Generally in better shape, cleaner, has all of the latest inovations and amenities. With the selection of newer ships available we would never consider a ship that was over 10 years.

Of course anything can happen (as we saw with the Splendor & Concordia) but you will generally have more problems, particularly maintenance problems, on the older ships.

Under control if you like pooping in bags and no running water.

The cruise immediately prior to OP's had mechanical issues too.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=114647

We experienced continued propulsion issues and were later getting in. Instead of arriving back in Galveston around 7:30am we arrived at 1:30 pm

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=114623

we were told the night before that the engines were damaged and that we would arrive in Galveston late

In December she also had mechanical trouble

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112600

An unexpected occurrence with the ship's propeller/malfunction in the speed of the ship caused a delay in Cozumel and instead of leaving port at 5, we disembarked after 9pm! This caused a delay in reaching Galvestonm instead of reaching in the morning at 9 on final day, we reached at 3.30p!!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112919

First disappointment was minor mechanical problem that made ship late to arrive and even later to depart at 10pm. We were first told that our time in Cozumel would be cut short...

So when OP posted it was at least the 3rd recent sailing with mechanical trouble. Yet, you dismiss it out of hand as a coincidence ... and some other posters compared it to complaining about the weather.

The cheerleaders have no shame. The appropriate agency within the federal govt needs to review CCL's handling of this ship's maintenance issues. I don't care where the ship is flagged.

We live in Galveston county. It takes us 20 minutes to get to the docks. You can overlook a lot when you don't have to deal with airfare, pre-cruise hotels, transfers, etc. The Triumph was basically a quick weekend get-a-way for many Galveston-Houston area cruisers.

Under control if you like pooping in bags and no running water.

"None of the 3,143 guests nor 1,086 crew were injured, and a tugboat was on its way to drag the vessel to the Mexican port of Progreso, where it was expected to arrive on Wednesday afternoon, Carnival said."

I said "under control". I didn't say they were enjoying a normal cruise experience. Things happen.

As long as everyone is safe, they'll have war stories to tell and I'm sure this will be a cruise that will be far more "memorable" than vacations past.

They'll get to enjoy another cruise on Carnival's dime.

Boy Carnival sure has some piece of carp ships, I think the need to send some to the scrap heap! It is occuring way to often to say it is a coincidence, they need to take some of that money that Micky Arison is stockpiling in his bank account and truly fix some of his distressed ships!:eek: They keep putting off repairs and saying nothing is wrong with their ship when I'm sure somebody knew they should have taken it out of service to fix it, but the almighty dollar is too important!!!:mad::mad::mad:

You're not referring to that paltry $40m bonus in December are you?

"None of the 3,143 guests nor 1,086 crew were injured, and a tugboat was on its way to drag the vessel to the Mexican port of Progreso, where it was expected to arrive on Wednesday afternoon, Carnival said."

I said "under control". I didn't say they were enjoying a normal cruise experience. Things happen.

As long as everyone is safe, they'll have war stories to tell and I'm sure this will be a cruise that will be far more "memorable" than vacations past.

They'll get to enjoy another cruise on Carnival's dime.

Is everything short of the ship sinking "under control"?

We've had some of our best cruises on Fantasy-Class ships (Imagination, Fantasy, Inspiration, Elation, and Paradise) and these ships are older than either the Splendor or the Triumph. This tells me that it's NOT the age of the ship but other issues that play into the problems.

When you have a ship adrift in the middle of the ocean, I call that OUT of control and adrift in the middle of the ocean.

We've been on 5 cruises. All on carnival. We were on the Triumph about a year and a half ago and decided at that time we would never book it again. The crew and maintenance of the ship were clearly neglected. Rude crew, dirty ship, poor maintenance of the things we could see. I can only imagine how the things we could not see were maintained.

When you have over 4200 passengers and crew that are uninjured and will be back on land in 48 hours, I'd call that under control.

What would you call it??

Having no running water for 24 hours and having to crap and pee in bags, I would call pretty out of control. (just read an article about this on USA Today a few minutes ago.)

I can live with no electricity for a bit, with it not being unbearably hot right now.

I can live with dwindling food and bottled drinks.

But having to crap in bags for more than 24 hours is not under control.;)

Bill

but she might finally be put out of her misery and retired.

You obviously haven't read the January 3, 2013 news headed under "Trademark Fun 2.0: More Possible Cruise Ship names" The Triumph is scheduled for drydock in 2014. They might rethink and do sooner. There's speculation that all Destiny class will be overhauled but I"m sure they're waiting to see how Sunshine does.

pixel.gif

Having no running water for 24 hours and having to crap and pee in bags, I would call pretty out of control. (just read an article about this on USA Today a few minutes ago.)

I can live with no electricity for a bit, with it not being unbearably hot right now.

I can live with dwindling food and bottled drinks.

But having to crap in bags for more than 24 hours is not under control.;)

Bill

Nah, out of control doesn't happen until they run out of bags.

Archived