Stingray City questions

merknerk

Hello Everyone

We will be in the Cayman Islands in March. I have heard lots of good reviews about Stingray City. Would love to see this but I am not a strong swimmer. How deep is the water out there and how rough. I know it all depends on the seas at the time. I have read that it is two to three feet deep. Are there several locations to see the stingrays and if so where is the sand bar that has most shallow water? Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.:o

Hello Everyone

We will be in the Cayman Islands in March. I have heard lots of good reviews about Stingray City. Would love to see this but I am not a strong swimmer. How deep is the water out there and how rough. I know it all depends on the seas at the time. I have read that it is two to three feet deep. Are there several locations to see the stingrays and if so where is the sand bar that has most shallow water? Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.:o

Not rough, not deep, and you don't need to know how to swim. If it's rough they cancel the Stingray City excursions, as they did with my recent cruise.

Hello Everyone

No need to worry! Waist deep in most areas..:p

I just did sting ray city on our last cruise this past April of 2012. I am not a strong swimmer either. the boat pulls up to the area and the water was a little deep. I am only 5 feet and it was over my head. I climbed back up the ladder to put on the inflatable life vest. People did have to get in and swim to where it is only up to your waiste or chest. DH was laughing at me cuz I was the only one who had it on. I'm glad I did it, because when I got down the ladder again..I could just swim the short distance to where I could stand comfortably.

So, if you have worries about it, just put on the vest and you'll be all set.

When you do get out to the area where you can stand (a short swim) comfortably, the water does move you around where it's hard to keep your balance, but other than that, it's fine. You'll have a blast. The sting rays are cool!

Enjoy!

Hello Everyone

The water is not deep nor rough....think 'waist deep' or less, depending on the tides (nice and warm, too). It can be a little choppy depending on how strong the tropical breeze is.

You will not have a large area to choose shallow water. The boat captain decides where to stop based on how many other boats are on the sandbar.

You will be provided with a 'snorkel vest' which you can inflate to your own preference. While it is not a life preserver, it will easily serve to keep you afloat if you feel you need it.

There are attendants on the boat to supervise your experience, and they will also be in the water with you, to both explain things about the stingrays and to serve as life guards if anyone has any difficulties.

Do not pass up this experience....go even if you think you might not get into the water!! (believe me, you will want to :D )

Stingray City is awesome. The water is very shallow and very calm. If it the weather is rough, the Cayman "Coast Guard" closes the reef to everyone. If you do go, use a private company. Do not go on the cruise ship excursion. It will be too crowded. Both Moby Dick and Captain Marvin are great companies to go with. They take much smaller groups and offer better prices. If given the chance, kiss a stingray for 7 years of good luck.

We took the Moby Dick tour and it was awesome! It was nice to be in a group that was much smaller than the cruise ship boats. We were a smaller group so the guides were able to get around to everyone and show them the stingrays. Don't worry about not being a strong swimmer. The reef is shallow. I am 5'4" and had no problems standing up. Use the life vest just to make yourself feel more comfortable and enjoy the stingrays!!! You really don't want to miss this trip!!

The best excursion ever! Chest high water as clear as a pool! It has been several years but it was wonderful!!!

Thanks for all the replies. We booked it last night after all of your encouragement. I am a 61 year old grandma of six. Now I can cross this off my bucket list!!! Yahoo !!

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to take my grandchildren but I am having a hard time convincing my son. Since these are wild stingrays what keeps people from being stung by their barb? Has anyone ever been hurt by the stingrays in GC? I hope this isn't a silly question but I need an answer please.

pittypat

I would love to take my grandchildren but I am having a hard time convincing my son. Since these are wild stingrays what keeps people from being stung by their barb? Has anyone ever been hurt by the stingrays in GC? I hope this isn't a silly question but I need an answer please.

pittypat

Injuries do happen on very rare occasions. I would estimate fewer than 10 per year - probably closer to 5 - are stung by a barb. That is out of a few hundred thousand visitors to the stingray sandbar every year. Such stings usually require medical attention from a doctor to debride the wound.

Much more common is a stingray hickey, where a person's skin may be bruised. Rays generate a powerful suction as they suck food into their mouths. If the ray's mouth seals against a person's skin as the ray sucks in what it thinks is a bit of food then the person's skin will bruise. In the elderly or others with particularly fragile skin the skin may rip. Stingray hickeys are a daily occurrence and rarely require medical treatment. Think of it as the only free souvenir you can take home from Cayman. :D

These rays are very accustomed to being handled by people. They do not use their barbs to aggressively attack. Their barb is purely a defense mechanism. If you want to watch but have minimal physical contact with the rays simply do not touch the food that is provided for them.

Injuries do happen on very rare occasions. I would estimate fewer than 10 per year - probably closer to 5 - are stung by a barb. That is out of a few hundred thousand visitors to the stingray sandbar every year. Such stings usually require medical attention from a doctor to debride the wound.

Much more common is a stingray hickey, where a person's skin may be bruised. Rays generate a powerful suction as they suck food into their mouths. If the ray's mouth seals against a person's skin as the ray sucks in what it thinks is a bit of food then the person's skin will bruise. In the elderly or others with particularly fragile skin the skin may rip. Stingray hickeys are a daily occurrence and rarely require medical treatment. Think of it as the only free souvenir you can take home from Cayman. :D

These rays are very accustomed to being handled by people. They do not use their barbs to aggressively attack. Their barb is purely a defense mechanism. If you want to watch but have minimal physical contact with the rays simply do not touch the food that is provided for them.

Thank you so much drew sailbum for your very thorough answer. I will hope to make a visit to the sting ray bar myself but will probably not be able to bring the grandchildren.

pittypat

We went with Moby Dick last year and are going back with them this year. :D You have the option of feeding the stingray some small squid. Our guides told us just be sure not to rub your hands on your body or swimwear once you have held the squid or one of the rays might smell it and try to eat it - ladies, especially, don't rub it on your chest or you might be mistaken for a snack :eek: and it will apparently leave a nasty suction bruise wherever they try to "snack" !!

It's an awesome experience !!! Nothing to be afraid of. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks pittypat for asking that question. I will admit, I am terrified of sting rays, as are my kids and husband (although he will never admit it:rolleyes:). We are from Tampa and have learned to do the "sting ray shuffle" every time we enter the water. However, I REALLY want to go to Sting Ray City. My family says no and last time we went to GC we did the pirate ship snorkle exursion. We will be in Grand Cayman next week and I am trying to gather up the courage to drag my family to Sting Ray City. We will see ....:D

Archived