Qsine On Summit

The Flying Pirate

We just got back from the Summit and I am working on a full review which will share but I wanted to make a separate review of the Qsine Restaurant because it was in a word, Outstanding.

For those of you that want more than one word, here is as Paul Harvey used to say, "The Rest of the Story."

We looked into Qsine on the website and were thoroughly confused by what we found. When we boarded the ship we actually didn't have any intention of booking any of the specialty restaurants because we weren't that impressed with the menus.

Once on the Summit we went to the Galley tour offered on the first day, which on our cruise was a sea day. At the end of the tour they had the various Specialty Restaurants set up in the Normandie's dining room. One of the Waiters from Qsine was there with a display of some of the menu items. After his presentation we changed our minds and decided to give Qsine a try.

After seeing his presentation and then experiencing Qsine, I suggested to the staff that they tape the waiters presentation and put it online. The current website doesn't do the place justice. It is billed as a journey around the world through food. It was more than just a meal it was an experience.

One thing we noticed was that even after the galley tour it was very easy to get reservations. It might have helped that we were booking for Thursday night which was the second Formal Night aboard. It is also the night that Lobster is available in the main dining room. I personally don't care for the taste of Lobster and can't understand what all the fuss is about, other than to brag to your friends about eating what depending on where you live can be a very expensive dinner....

The night of our reservations, we arrived at 6:30 and were promptly seated. The first thing we noticed was the dining room looked like something out of Alice in Wonderland. All the lighting was from table lamps mounted upside-down on the ceiling. The plates were rectangles, the glasses more or less cylindrical but with a hand blown shape to them. When the waiter brought the menus he said "you may have noticed the lights, we are going to turn hour perception of food upside down."

The waiter was from Honduras and was incredible; he was funny and just a crazy man. He proclaimed himself as "more than a waiter, I will be your tour guide on tonight's journey."

The menus were brought over and they were all on iPads. The first page was cocktails, and at each entry you could see how the drink was made and then if you shook the iPad it was "mix" the drink on the screen and show you a picture of the finished product.

The main food part of the menu was another section and the names of things, the descriptions etc made it difficult to choose what to have. The waiter, make that "tour guide" suggested since there were six of us, we should choose 7 items off the menu as everything is served family style and made for sharing.

After quite a discussion among everyone, we finally selected 7 items.

Hi

My wife and I will be on the Summit on March 16th and just like you, we didn't plan to go to Qsine nor Normandie...

But after reading your review, we might try Qsine... it's sound fun and good...

Look like you had a long and nice evening there....

Thanks a lot for sharing pictures and informations.

We never been in a specialty restaurant so I got one question, the 40$ will be add to your cabin but do you add tips at he end ? if so, how much ?

Hi

My wife and I will be on the Summit on March 16th and just like you, we didn't plan to go to Qsine nor Normandie...

But after reading your review, we might try Qsine... it's sound fun and good...

Look like you had a long and nice evening there....

Thanks a lot for sharing pictures and informations.

We never been in a specialty restaurant so I got one question, the 40$ will be add to your cabin but do you add tips at he end ? if so, how much ?

You can add the type right to the bill like you would at a land based restaurant. The amount is up to you, based of course on the service you received. Then once you add the tip, you sign it and it is all added to your room bill.

I was already hooked on the idea of Qsine before I even booked our Eclipse cruise.

We are planning on going with a group of 12 and I am sure it is going to be a BLAST.

I was double hooked when I watched Top Chef!!

Thanks for the great photos.

• 1 month later...

We are sailing on the Summit for the third time, first since its refit, on March 30th, and were thinking about eating at Qsine or Normandie. Loved Normandie way back when the ship was brand new. But, after reading your post and seeing the photos, I think we will be dining at Qsine. Thanks for a great job with the post.

Wow. I wanted to go to Qsine before but figured since we were dining in Blu, probably not. However....you really, really make me want to go. I can't open the photos because of the computer I'm at right now....but when I get home I certainly will!

This looks like something I would love to try, but do they scale back the portions for 2 people? I'd hate to see a lot of food go to waste, and equally I'd hate to get filled up on the first course. Did you see any couples there by themselves?

Thanks for the review - looks fabulous!!

This looks like something I would love to try, but do they scale back the portions for 2 people? I'd hate to see a lot of food go to waste, and equally I'd hate to get filled up on the first course. Did you see any couples there by themselves?

Thanks for the review - looks fabulous!!

There are couples there by themselves but I think you will have much more fun if you team up. A couple from our forum wanted someone to go with - we are now firm friends! We had lunch then nothings else until our meal. Took our time and didn't feel uncomfortably full in fact, we ordered extra desserts:D

Food is presented in a fun way but the portions are not as big as MDR. Staff are really good. Enjoy:p

Thank you for posting this in depth review of Qsine as the Celebrity website does not give a very good outline of this restaurant. My DH is not an adventurous eater so unless I meet some people on the roll call looking to add to their group I may have to miss this experience on my first Celebrity cruise :(

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Just off the March 2 sailing. There was someone outside the MDR on the final night offering Qsine for 1/2 price.

I guess the first and final night are the quietest for the specialty restaurants.

BTW, these restaurants are now $45.:(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Thank you for posting this in depth review of Qsine as the Celebrity website does not give a very good outline of this restaurant. My DH is not an adventurous eater so unless I meet some people on the roll call looking to add to their group I may have to miss this experience on my first Celebrity cruise :(

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

My spousal unit is absolutely not an adventurous eater, either, but he loved Qsine! We've been twice, and repeated only one menu item, because it was our favorite. Both times we went with another couple and, when there was something only two of us wanted to try, the portions were scaled down accordingly.

He was our waiter back in July 2014 to Bermuda and we loved him! He made the experience such a treat (on top of the delicious food)

I went back this past October on the repo looking for him and he wasn't there[emoji27] I was told he was on another ship.

I will be back on summit again this summer and I hope he is still there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

I must echo everyone else's rave reviews of Qsine! We ate there on the Miklennium on a recent 18-day cruise and loved the uniqueness. 2/1 specials were offered with regularity - perhaps owing to the length of our cruise - but ask before booking.