I would value your opinions.

jnc411

Hello, I would value your opinions. We have always cruised with either Princess or RCCL, and have always enjoyed our trips. I am at this time looking for our next cruise, and am considering a NCL cruise, specifically one of the Hawiian Islands cruises. What is your opinion , should we try NCL , or stay with Princess or RCCL which we know we like. I have read both bad and good reports on NCL,will we be disappointed? We like Princess's Personal Choice dining so I think we would be OK with Freestyle, but how about the entertainment and food , etc. and would appreciate any information you might share, if you have been on NCL, or your views. I know I should probably put this on the NCL board but really wanted the experienced Princess cruisers response, I trust you guys. Thanks for sharing.

Cori

It has been awhile since i've been on NCL but I've never had a bad cruise just some better than others. I would definetly consider them an option for doing the 7 night Hawaii cruise.

Scott

I sailed on the Norway about four years ago and just stepped off the Caribbean Princess about a week ago. We were very happy with both cruises and actually have plans to cruise again on both lines in the next year.

The food on the two lines was very comparable. We did traditional seating on NCL and anytime on Princess. I found NCL to be much more consistent than princess, and had better desserts. Princess won on the overall quality of food. On NCL, there was no lobster or crab leg feast. The breakfast and lunch was much better on Princess.

The pools are one major difference. Last we were on NCL, they had saltwater pools. Quite a surprise if you're not expecting it.

We're not really show people, so I can't say much about that.

We liked our cabin steward and waiter better on NCL, but we certainly had good service on Princess.

My advice is that if the ship looks good and the itinerary is ideal, don't hesitate. You'll have a blast.

Being from the north east I can answer NCL questions. The Dawn sails out of NYC and the Majesty out of Bermuda. I've been on those twice each and the Sea from FL once. I had great cruises on all of them. I have sailed Commodore (remember them), Carnival, RC and Celebrity twice and while Celeb is more elegant, NCL was every bit as nice as RC. In fact, I was not crazy about the Voyager of the Seas or the Carnival Triumph.

The staff on NCL is alot of fun and shows the guests a good time. More fun on the pool deck, less people so more space overall, more entertainment/diversions each day in the "Freestyle Daily".

I have never been absolutely wowwed by food on ANY ship but I have to go with Celebrity on superiority here. Still, NCL had some great things on the menu. I am not saying the food is fabulous but we never sent anything back in five cruises. They even have free cappucino after dinner last I knew. I like that. The dining options are virtually endless on the Dawn with 11 dining rooms to choose from.

And speaking of Personal Choice, NCL pioneered that concept. They were the first and they didn't do it half way. They went for it completely....and it has worked for them. People love freestyle. My kids are loving that aspect and prefer NCL for that reason. Of course, you've heard about staying in your cabin till your luggage color is called.

I have been on so many of NCL's cruises in the past four years I have to stay away so I can get on other lines. It's hard though cuz they do make it fun and EASY. If you are listening Princess we could use some ships sailing out of here in the WINTER!!! NCL has done that for a couple years now but I really want to sail something besides the Dawn and not have to fly to FL. NCL has made that happen for lots of people up here.

But this summer I try Princess and guess what.??...I chose the Dawn! Can't wait to see what all you guys are so hyped about. Alaska here I come. Hey, are we gonna get fireworks? I board on the 4th of July.

We cruised on NCL Wind around the Hawaiian Islands a year ago. I have not yet cruised on Princess but I will give you my views on our Hawaiian cruise. We felt the wind was a nice ship. Not fabulous or really updated, but clean, comfortable and reasonably good service. We liked the freestyle choices and never had much wait (5-10 minutes at the most, no wait many times) for any meals in the dining room. The food was good most of the time...not great, but good. The entertainment was good by our standards. Some better than others, but we did enjoy the shows we saw. We found a few classes and things to do during the sea days, not as many choices as I would have liked, but it was ok. Since we traveled 2 days each way on the way to Fanning Island there was A LOT of movement on the ship across the Pacific. We LOVED LOVED LOVED Fanning Island. It was such a unique experience. We chose to go on the Napali Beach at Fanning Island and it was the highlight of our trip. The Hawaiian Islands were fabulous. We enjoyed each island for different reasons. It was a great way to get a taste of the islands. The staff of the Wind (except for one person) were always friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a cruise with the ship the highlight of the cruise, the Wind wouldn't be for you. Nice but nothing exceptional. But if you are looking for a cruise with the ports of call to be the highlights and the ship just a nice way to get there, this is a great choice. We decided on the Wind because I was hesitant to have 5 straight days at sea on our first cruise and now I am sure I made the right choice for us. Keep in mind that we are fairly easy going when we are traveling. We love to experience new places, people and cultures and we take most things in stride. We are fairly easy to please. But we were most definately pleased with NCL and the Wind.

I seem to be the lone dissenter here. We have sailed on NCL twice, and I will never sail with them again. Other people in my family don't feel nearly as strongly as I do, however. I do not think the product is comparable to RCI or Princess. The food was adequate, nothing to look forward to. The Purser's staff angered me on the Sun, I felt everything was very unorganized, and they were very unconcerned that we almost missed our pre-booked excursion in Belize because we were 2 hours late tendering off the ship for no explained reason. Vacations are for relaxing, and I was upset on a daily basis with NCL.

I have never had those feelings with Princess, and our luggage was lost for 2 days with them. They handled everything better. IMHO, Princess and RCIoffer a superior product. YMMV.

If you want to do a RT from the West Coast, there seems to be several options including the Island Princess which goes to five ports in Hawaii and then a brief stop in Ensenada. I think Carnival, Celebrity, NCL also have a RT. These are for those who love sea days (like my family). There's also one-ways and the POA ships that just do Hawaii.

You may want to check out the reviews, many of them are within the boards. The 4/19 Island cruisers had about three or four review threads going last month as well as a thread started while on-board; the posters gave some great info!

Thanks so much for all the great responses to my question. Actually we were considering the Wind with Fanning Island, it was good to read such a nice report of your trip . But I do realize from reading the thread that there are reasons that some would prefer Princess or RCL to NCL. I would love to do the Island RT from LA to the islands , but the time frame doesn't work for us, unless I can make some changes. We love sea days, so any amount of sea days is great. Thanks again

Cori

What is your opinion , should we try NCL , or stay with Princess or RCCL which we know we like.
We've been on Princess, RCCL, NCL and X for a total of ten cruises and have had a great time on all. We have found good food on all. We have seen great shows (and some bad) on all. Service has been outstanding with one exception on one cruise.

You know that you like personal choice, so Freestyle shouldn't be a problem.

You like sea days, so the trip to Fanning is no problem either.

Obviously, it's your choice. But, I see no reason that you wouldn't enjoy NCL.

Charlie

We have cruised on both NCl and Princess. We found the entertainment on NCL to be better and food better on Princess.

We did not do NCL in Hawaii, I think we were on Carnival and was Hawaii to Ensenada. Loved the sea days.

Carol

The Last cruise I took on the NCL Spirit was absolutely the best I have taken so far:D except for for the small Balcony Cabin (BA):( This was because it was originally designed to be a connecting cabin and had a large hall area. Otherwise food was great (as good or better than Celebrity). I'm sailing princess in 10 days so I will try to post my opinion.:D

Thanks so much, what great information from all of you. I really wish I could get a balcony , but I think it will probably be an outside, in order to cruise more often we try to economize on the cabin. Thanks again. :)

Cori

Archived