The Blizzard: The Agony and the Ecstasy; It was 20 Years ago, t.....

MrPete

Watching everyone panic about yet another looming NorthEast Frankenstorm, rightfully so, I wanted to recount a blizzard story that happened to us just about 20 years ago.

We had a cruise booked on the HOLIDAY, sailing from Miami, with us coming from New York in March of 1993, the 13th as it goes. :eek:

Our air was purchased through Carnival.

The snow started exactly at 6AM, just as we arrived at the airport. Our flight was one of the first cancelled. :mad:

So...

we secured another flight. We were happy as pigs in a blanket, we boarded, and we were high fiving each other just as they closed the airport.

So the phone calls to Carnival started.

All they kept on telling me was that we should try to catch up with the ship at one of its ports of call. What WAS interesting was that all the "others" who were sailing that were UNinsured were calling their insurance companies, and securing travel insurance (!!??) ( I later found out that the cruise was not covered under this, as it was an act of God, so their money at that point was just being taken)...

So, of course, while making all my phone calls, all the intelligent people were making hotel reservations. We ended up at some local dump motel with the chickens, and women banging on doors for their bleepin money.

We were also very smart when we got dropped off at the airport, cause we didn't need our coats, and threw them in the drop off car before it drove off. I now know what frostbite feels like.

We went to the local Jackson Hole Diner for dinner and bought some beers on the way back. So much for luxury.

The next morning, we head back to the airport, and realize we are missing our airline tickets. We are told that’s OK, cause all the flights are cancelled today as well.

But, "the nice young man behind the counter" tells me Newark airport is open, and I should be able to fly from there.

So we gather our belongings, get a cab/limo, go from Queens to Jersey, and upon arriving at the airport, had the pleasure of seeing one of the longest lines I have ever seen; one that really should have been entered into the record books.

BTW, I am never an hour away from Carnival the whole time, telling them my problems, and all I keep getting is "CATCH UP TO THE SHIP....that my insurance would pay for everything to catch up with the ship, but would not cover the cruise itself."

Well, we finally got through that long line, and got our tickets, just moments before our flight was cancelled. Up till then, I was the one leading my party to "make all this part of our vacation...have fun!" At that point, the air went completely out of my sails. I found the best I could do was catch up to my ship on Friday, but the cruise was over on Saturday.

I had had enough.

We got another cab/limo, and headed back to the couples house who was with us who happened to live in Jersey (we lived on Long Island at the time....way out). First up, dig them out. Next we went out for a nice dinner.

Called Carnival that night, letting them know our situation. I informed Carnival one last time of my situation, and at that point they said to call back in the morning, as they would be issuing a statement.

Next morning at 10, call Carnival, they have decided to offer me 4 choices of cruises to select from, on their new Ecstasy ship.

The friends drove us to my parent’s house in Westchester, only to have to dig my car out there. Then we drove back to the Island, only to have to dig out the snow a third time.

We called the insurance company on Monday, they sent us the paperwork, we sent it in, and they paid for everything except the cab fares. Don't remember why. But I figured I got an extra fancy dinner in on them, so I was ahead, and never challenged it. I could have done without the chicken and whores though.

BTW, the other two couples that did make the ship, that are from California and had flew in the day before, said it was THE CRUISE FROM HELL. The storm that had caused the blizzard had come up the east coast from the Caribbean, and had churned the seas up down there. The ship sailed half empty, people were sick all the time from the rocking, and they only had one day of sunshine, enough to burn them all to a crisp.

So, one month later, we start all over again. The "nice young man behind the counter" remembers us, and upgrades us to first class. We were also quite happy to find we had been upgraded on the ship as well. We had such a good time, it completely wiped out all the ills from the previous month, and chalked it up to experience.

Here we are relaxing on the Ecstasy all those years ago:

1355073083843_zps57729e5e.jpg

The snow was a distant memory........

And with that, I hope all those with travel and cruise plans have a better day than I did, as well as a safe one!

And apologies to those that remember reading this before!

Thanks for sharing that !! Yeah we're in RI and patiently waiting for the blizzard to hit...All I hope is we dont lose power, but who the heck knows.. Kinda of wait and see!! BUt This is the biggest around here since Blizzard of 78' and from what I've heard and seen pics power was out for days! ( I was just turning 2!) But thank god our Breeze cruise isnt till April!!! For anyone reading this who is awaiting the snow as well, please be careful and stay safe!!:)

Great story, thanks for sharing it with us. Glad you had a great time on the Ecstacy. Anyone from the north knows that traveling in the winter can be dicey but we always hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Our first cruise, I drove 4 hours in the snow to LGA from eastern Long Island, it normally would take 2, to get to Miami for a cruise that day. I think we left our house @ 2:00 am. We made it, it barely snowed in Queens. But now, we buy trip insurance and give ourselves at least 1 day cushion. Live & learn.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Great story Pete. Thanks for sharing.

We are now getting ready to batten down the hatches for yet ANOTHER storm. Grocery stores and gas lines were insane yesterday. Good luck to everyone and stay safe.

I just went to the local Stop and Shop. It was empty! Fresh bread just being put out. I scooped it all:Croissants, Miami Onion Rolls, Kaisers, and a loaf of French Bread for BLT's.AND, I got free gas points!

If anything, we'll eat well today!

But now I hear the gas stations are running out of gas, so those coming through to hit the NY piers, be warned!

And the snow has begun.

ahh, so what's the big deal with 2 feet of snow.:confused:out here in the wide open spaces of the far west that is just a normal winter storm:)

seriously. take care all you big city easteners. i can't even begin to imagine where all that snow, once plowed, will go. especially in areas where parked cars line both sides of a street initially designed for a horse and buggy.

Oh, I don't know if I could have made it through that. I would have just been so bummed if that would have happened to me.

I get nervous about our winter cruises. We fly out two weeks from today and hoping for smooth travels. Now, I'm worried about another thing: we get travel insurance, but a snowstorm wouldnt be covered because of a "natural act"? It says on the policy travel delay, etc. Wonder just exactly what would happen if we had a delay?

I remember that March 1993 blizzard. We had 26 inches upstate and the county declared a state of emergency, banning most travel. But my office didn't close and I lost a vacation day.:(

We took four February cruises, 2007-2010. Unless we're sailing from NYC we always travel at least a day early. Fortunately we never had too many problems getting to the port, but on the 2010 cruise Conquest was fogged out of Galveston, docked late, and we missed our flight home. Better to have it happen on the way home!

ahh, so what's the big deal with 2 feet of snow.:confused:out here in the wide open spaces of the far west that is just a normal winter storm:)

seriously. take care all you big city easteners. i can't even begin to imagine where all that snow, once plowed, will go. especially in areas where parked cars line both sides of a street initially designed for a horse and buggy.

Yes that will be the problem in the big N. E cities where does all the plowed snow go. I live in Manchester Ct and there are places to put the snow but it still will be a mess.

Gary

Archived