Suggested cruise lines for Canary Island cruise

Giffer

My wife and I are looking to do a cruise including the Canary Islands this October (2013). I have looked at several cruise lines, but wonder if any one has any good or bad experiences with Canary Island cruises. I am right now looking at Royal Caribbean and P&O. Will take suggestions on other lines if you have had a good experience with them.

Thanks in advance.

Cruise ships make calls on several of the Canary Islands. Maybe have a look at which islands you'd prefer to visit or which activities you'd like to do and then find a ship that goes there. We recently went to Lanzarote and La Palma in the Canaries with Oceania Cruises. Both islands were very different and striking in their own way. The Canary Islands are lovely and I think you'll enjoy whatever cruise you take!

IMO it is quite difficult to find a good Canary Island cruise this year. Especially in October.

We did a 9 night Canary Islands NCL cruise on Norwegian Jade last year from Barcelona.

Unfortunately, this year the equivalent cruise is on Norwegian Spirit and although they still call it 'Canary Islands Cruise' the only Canary Island it calls at is Lanzarote.

Holland America go to the Canary Islands but not in October.

Celebrity do a 14 night cruise on the Eclipse. This calls at Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura & Lanzarote

P&O do a 13 night on the Oriana. This calls at Lanzarote, Tenerife & Gran Canaria

Royal Caribbean do 12 nights on Independence of the Seas. This calls at Lanzarote, Gran Canaria & Tenerife

Princess do 12 nights on Crown Princess. This calls at Gran Canaria, Tenerife & Lanzarote

All of these sail from Southampton. The disadvantage of this is you spend about 5 or 6 days of the cruise (usually, in October, in not very nice weather) getting to and from the UK.

Unfortunately, this year the equivalent cruise is on Norwegian Spirit and although they still call it 'Canary Islands Cruise' the only Canary Island it calls at is Lanzarote.

We're interested in the Spirit 9 night "Canary Islands and Moroccco" cruise in December. The itinerary is:

Barcelona

Sea

Casablanca

Sea

Funchal

Lanzarote

Sea

Malaga

Sea

Barcelona

I understand your point about calling this "Canary Islands," but other than the name, do you think this is a good itinerary for visitors who have only been to Barcelona? Is late December a good or bad time for this cruise?

We're interested in the Spirit 9 night "Canary Islands and Moroccco" cruise in December. The itinerary is:

Barcelona

Sea

Casablanca

Sea

Funchal

Lanzarote

Sea

Malaga

Sea

Barcelona

I understand your point about calling this "Canary Islands," but other than the name, do you think this is a good itinerary for visitors who have only been to Barcelona? Is late December a good or bad time for this cruise?

It is a good itinerary BUT late December?

You will not get any warm weather until you get to Funchal and Lanzarote (maybe Casablanca).

I don't know where you are from but if you are not looking for sunshine and warm weather then go for it but be aware than Spain can be cool in December. Also, the days are short at that time of year.

It is a good itinerary BUT late December?

Thanks. We're from U.S. and not really concerned about lack of warm weather. If we were, we'd just go to the Caribbean. We would like to visit some interesting and exotic locations with our teens who will be on holiday from school. Just hoping for lack of torrential downpours.

Archived