Shore excursions in Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan for "walking impaired"

philbird

DW and I (both mid-sixties) are taking our first Alaska cruise (YVR>YVR) in Sept. on the Amsterdam. She has trouble walking on any terrain except flat ground. Looking for suggestions for shore excursions that don't involve a lot of tough walking. No airplanes or helicopters either, please. :)

TIA

Skagway - WhitePass Railway (train).

Juneau - Whale Watching trip. I have booked with Orca Enterprises which would be perfect. I am not sure about the cruise ship excursions as they use larger boats.

Ketchikan - boat ride to Misty Fiords.

Ketchikan Taxicab Tours is a private taxi tour of the town of Ketchikan with lots of interesting history and things to see. You can book for as long as you want. I think it is about 80.00/hour but the van will hold up to 6 people so you can split the cost and add a tip.

I took my mother on the Glacier Gardens tour in Juneau because they take the visitors up through the forest in a Mule vehicle to the top of a mountain and it's a rare chance to see the real Alaska woods for the mobility challenged. Plus the gardens are lovely.

• 3 weeks later...

Bering Sea Tours in Ketchikan is wheel-chair accessible. It can be a bit of a walk, depending upon where one's ship is docked, but the tour itself is completely accessible...and the walk is flat along the docks. Wonderful experience of "Deadliest Catch" type crabbing...along with the huge numbers of bald eagles each time I've been on it.

Archived