My MARINER REVIEW 5/22-29...Gonna be a LONG one!

Allison - the Roll-a-table is 32 X 32 inches square, so it fits 4 comfortably. It weights about 10 lbs. Mine was about $40 and $15 for the stools.

I relooked at several web sites and the price has gone up $5-10, but this site still has it a $40. They also carry a Roll-a-chair with a back on it.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/campmor/iphrase.jsp?command=text&text=roll-a-table

BTW, we also did Family Bingo, and used the type of cards we use are the 'slide the red door over the number' ones. No 'cash' prizes, just mouse pads and key chains.

Friday - Cozumel

Since we arrived later in Cozumel Cap't Johnny advised us after his "Good Morning, Good Morning, Good Morning" we could all sleep a bit later. He also reminded us that the sunsets at Cozumel were beautiful, but if we watched one from the beaches, your ship has already sailed! I was up doing my stretch class and morning breakfast run. We ended up not docking untill about 10:15 am. I went solo in the morning shopping (my "boys" hate to shop) and "skipped" the International Pier shops as suggested by Dean the Shopping Consultant. Several of us tried to use the "cab ride" coupon offered by the ship but it was completely ignored, the drivers saying "We must pay!". I shared a cab with a couple and we got to the shopping district. The cab dropped us off WAY before the Forum shops, near a tee-shirt and pharmacy. I started my shopping there.

They had nice embroidered Tees for $5.50ea Adult, 3 for $12 for the kids. I also found a magnet, $1.00 beaded bracelets, and bought a dozen of these for workplace souviners. Bought enough to get a tote bag to put it all in! On to pick up some of the "free" trinkets offered! I had also worn the tanzinite ring I had purchaced in Ocho Rios to find a pendand to match. As much as I loved the white gold setting, I found it hard to find much in white gold tanzinite than yellow gold. I looked at several shops, and finally found a trillion cut tanzinite that had base with a bit of opal inlay from Diamonds International. I took my own cab back to the ship.

My DH was still feeling under the weather, and my 11yo DS didn't want to leave the ship, so my 12yo DS and I went to Paradise Beach. We also took our Vidalia Onion Relish for PB Tom! After we arrived by son realized he left his SeaPass card some where! But the cab driver found it and hunted us down and gave it back to him. Met the famous (to us anyway) Paradise Tom. He is a young man who loves life and has a lot of "kid" still left in him! He really appreciated the relish and preserves. He set us up with the first round of drinks and a wrist band for my son. My son enjoyed the water trampolines and the iceburg. Tom also came out and chatted with me for a few minutes. We spent a relaxing 3 hours there before heading back to the ship.

On the way back in I perused the International pier shops. They definately WERE more expensive than the shops in town. Found the same tee I bought for a buck more each. I had still been pricing the Philip Stein watches as I shopped. Found several ladies versions, with and w/o diamonds, in black, mother of pearl, green, silver, with many different colored bands. I stopped at the DI store at the pier and saw a different one in blue. I've never owned a designer anything, but this watch intrigued me so I had to take the plunge. Since it was almost time to get back to the ship I talked my way into a bigger discount!

Back on the ship, we got ready for dinner. This was the lobster night. It was fair. They also had onion soup, but nothing near what it was in Chops. The lobster was taken out of the shell for us by the head waiter. I won't mind tipping him on this trip, he actually did make a difference! The lobster taste OK, but nothing spectacular. The food over all on my Carnival Pride cruise was better than on RCCL. We made the Comedy show, Mario and Daniel from the Venetian in Las Vegas. They were funny. Then we went to the Win-A-Cruise Bingo. Unfortunately, we will still be "buying" our next cruise!

Also had some trouble with the photo gallery and my digital camera. They advertised they could download your pics on to a CD for $15. They claimed they couldn't read my Olympus camera format! Oh well~.

Tonights towel animal: A Monkey!

Jacquelyn :D

I don't think I have ever read a review where the poster did so much shopping for jewelry! :D

Met the famous (to us anyway) Paradise Tom. He is a young man who loves life and has a lot of "kid" still left in him! He really appreciated the relish and preserves. He set us up with the first round of drinks and a wrist band for my son. My son enjoyed the water trampolines and the iceburg. Tom also came out and chatted with me for a few minutes. We spent a relaxing 3 hours there before heading back to the ship.
I don't know about the famous Tom. Could you explain how you knew he liked the relish so much?

Sea....I normally don't "treat" myself much at home. I'll just do the basics for myself. Believe me, most of my "treasures" will be rewrapped and given to me as anniversary, birthday and Christmas presents for the next couple of years!!

If you frequent the Cozumel Board, PB Tom post alot on CC. In fact, he was posting when he visited that day! He is the manager there and originally from Canada. Folks offer to bring him things from the states he can't get in Cozumel. He's partial to Chef Boyardee Ravioli!

Saturday - Sea Day

I did my last stretch class, then went to a sit down breakfast. I sat at a large table with older, veteran cruisers. We had a nice discussion on previous cruises we had taken. Went to part of the Captain's talk. Then went to the Snowball Jackpot and Art Raffle bingo. The Jackpot did not go this time. Had Sit Down lunch also. Very good ribs! I had counted my Ship Shape dollars and I was one short of the towel! I did the Free Throw tournament and made my goal!

I took my video camera around and taped the ship. I've done this the last day on most all of my cruises. Lets me "relive" being there! Someone on the boards had mention to me to take noticed of the art work around the ship. I did walk around and find some interesting things. On Deck 10, on either side of forward elevators there are two "movable" shadow boxes, you turn a crank and the sailor rowed toward the mermaid or the pilot peddled the wing flaps of his plane. Each stairwell had its own "theme" of pics, statues or collage art, like "Cars". One had exhibits of "art make of every day items": a heart made up of red colored childs toys. I'm glad someone advised me to take a look at the small things!

My DH did the Black Jack tourney, but didn't extend his luck from the tables. I was suprised at how few people were at the Jackpot Bingo! I got to "inspect the bingo balls" and got two key chains for my trouble. But the jackpot was not to be mine either! Went to the Family quest, not quite as fun as the adult version. Our last dinner we ate with the family from FL. We all had a nice time. Back to the cabin to start packing! I watched "The Stepford Wives" remake while we did. We had decided to do the "self-assist debarkment" and take our luggage off ourselves. It all fit back into the closet. On last trip to the Royal Promanade for shopping, pizza and deserts!

Towel Animal: A Dog!

Sunday - We get up at 6:30am, do the last minute gathering and wait for the call to depart. We hear the first call at 7:10am, but we didn't make it out the door till 7:45am. We had to stand in line for a bit at the customs line but by-passed the luggage conveyer belt. We were out waiting for the Radisson shuttle by 8:30am. On the Beeline Expressway to Orlando by 9:15am.

We were craving regular old food so we stopped by the Waffle House in Orlando on the way to the Hilton Grand Vacation Club. DiId a two night post cruise stay and went to Disney Quest and Islands of Adventure/Universal Studios. We drove back to Atlanta on Tuesday. When we arrived at 7pm it was raining and 66 degrees!

I enjoyed my first RCCL cruise. Never made it to the pools or the Solarium and that is reason enough to go back! Maybe next cruise plan one less port day and one more sea day. I found RCCL to be slightly better than Carnival or Disney (CCL still wins on food). I may try to go on the new Freedom of the Seas in 2007!

We were in Grand Cayman on Thursday and Cozumel on Friday.

Another thing that happend on the Mariner...I ordered one of the gifts to show up in the cabin when we boarded. I had ordered the beach bag, fanny pack and thermos combo. When it got to my cabin it was the combo with the water bottle holder instead. Hector was at a table at the Expo and I showed him the receipt taped to the packaging. He did take care of it and sent us the thermos bottle later.

Looking onward to Alaska!

I enjoyed my first RCCL cruise. Never made it to the pools or the Solarium and that is reason enough to go back! Maybe next cruise plan one less port day and one more sea day. I found RCCL to be slightly better than Carnival or Disney (CCL still wins on food). I may try to go on the new Freedom of the Seas in 2007!

Jacquleyn thanks for a great review. I really enjoyed reading it. I plan to put the Mariner on my list of ships to try. I loved the Navigator and know that they are pretty close to each other in design.

As an FYI, I buy that relish in my Publix here in Roswell. The produce department has it. It's called Georgia grown "Vidalia Valley". They have salad dressings and different kinds of relish. Very good.

Jacquelyn...Thanks for sharing your great experience on the Mariner! I really enjoyed reading every detail! My husband and I are booked on her on 9/4/05 and we are 12 weeks away and counting down the days! We are really excited after reading your review...I was really leary about booking at that time of the year because of the increased chance of bad weather, but thought ..."what the heck...we'll go for it and hope for the best!" Thanks again for sharing your trip...it sounds like you really had a wonderful time!

Kathy

Hi Crusingator! We need to schedule another ATL CC dinner! I called Publix but they didn't seem have it. I'll have to look for myself!

Kathy, I'm sure you will enjoy the Mariner. It was a very lively ship and there was always something to see or do. Have a great time!

Also had some trouble with the photo gallery and my digital camera. They advertised they could download your pics on to a CD for $15. They claimed they couldn't read my Olympus camera format! Oh well~.

We had our Olympus pictures burned onto a CD twice while on board the Mariner. They had to put our memory card into an adaptor or something before they could put it into the machine to read it. I hope you never missed out on any pictures because your card was full!

By the way, I loved your review. It was excellent!

Lisa

I took my Cannon Elf Underwater camera and my Hitachi DVD CamCorder has a still picture capibility. In researching I found they don't have cameras using Smart Media cards much anymore, mainly SD cards. It may be time to upgrade my Camera! :)

Got to get the film taken to Walmart!!

Another point I thought about. Many posters downgrade the Pizza on the Voyager class ships. I found the pizza to be quite good! It was always fresh and hot. They had "specialties" like sun dried tomato in addition to the pepperoni and cheese. It wasn't fancy, but an upgrade from Tombstone or Red Barron! It was about the same as pizza on Carnival Ships.

Another point I thought about. Many posters downgrade the Pizza on the Voyager class ships. I found the pizza to be quite good! It was always fresh and hot. They had "specialties" like sun dried tomato in addition to the pepperoni and cheese. It wasn't fancy, but an upgrade from Tombstone or Red Barron! It was about the same as pizza on Carnival Ships.

I'm glad you mentioned this! We just got off the Carnival PRIDE (beautiful ship and service) and my guys ate pizza and free ice cream everyday. Going to the formal dining room was like pulling teeth b/c they didnt like the foo foo food. They love getting in their tuxedos, but they need their pizza ;)

Where is the free soft serve on the Mariner? If I lose my husband on the ship, I could always find him huddled around that machine!!!

If you frequent the Cozumel Board, PB Tom post alot on CC. In fact, he was posting when he visited that day! He is the manager there and originally from Canada. Folks offer to bring him things from the states he can't get in Cozumel. He's partial to Chef Boyardee Ravioli!

Smart guy to post about things he likes on a cruise board. I'll bet he gets all kinds of free goodies. I'll have to go over to that board and see what he needs as we will be in Cozumel in October. :D

I cannot believe that you never went to the pool or solarium. That's what cruising is all about for us! :eek:

Hilton Grand Vacation Club
Is this somewhere you have to be members of to stay there?

I agree about the pizza! I don't think we have ever had bad pizza on any ship. The trick is getting it hot and fresh from the oven. Carnival was the best IMO.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a detailed review. I enjoyed it tremendously. It is greatly appreciated.

However did you remember so much detail? I have tried to keep a daily journal and find myself forgetting to write in it for a couple of days and then feeling like it was just too monumental to play catch up. After all I'm on vacation and that kind of stress is taboo!!!! So when I get back to write the review I've forgotten names, amounts spent, where I shopped and/or some other details that I remember months later but forgot to put in the review I published.

Luv - I'm the manager of a hospital pharmacy that also services a 182 bed nursing home. I have 2 pre-teen sons at home. My MIL lives near us and needs our help frequently, my mom, in her 70's is more self sufficent. When people ask me how many kids I have I usually reply "4", 11,12,46, and 81. Oh, forgot 2 cats also!

Between job and home, I have to pay attention to detail alot! Yea, I'm also somewhat a Type A personality. I do make our a schedule, but I don't "live and die" by it. I also have a photographic memory, and just "remember" things. Not always useful things, but I remember them. Back in the 1970's McDonalds had a jingle with their Big Mac burgers, "Two All Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions on a Sesame Seed Bun". I worked there and they did a funny commercial of saying it backwards. I did it all the time. It's been 30 years since I worked at Mickey D's, but I still remember it. I'll probably be babbling it in my wheelchar 60 years from now!! :eek:

Sea - Hilton Grand Vacation CLub is a time share. We own two 3 br Gold weeks that we pay a maintaince fee on each year. This earns us "points" that we can exchange for Club or Hotel stays, airline tickets, or CRUISES!! I usually have enough points to cruise without any extra outlay of $$ (sans thing I purchace WHILE cruising!)

The Vacation Club in Orlando is very nice. An advantage is "short stays" there where you can pay cash to stay there. A 1 br unit that includes a kitchen, screened balcony with table and chairs, a pull out queen sofa bed, a jacuzzi tub in your room, and a king size master bed is about the same a the cost of one night at the HoJo per night. If your interested in this, E=Mail me at JHS1111RPH@aol.com and I can give you more details.

Speaking of more details, I remembered another one. After my Seaweed wrap and massage on Thursday the staff member "talked" me into another massage for the next morning. I was hesitant, because I hadn't checked the SeaPass account yet. After checking it, I called back at 10pm to cancel and they were closed. I went the next morning at 7:20 I went to cancel it before my gym class and they hassled me about it. I went after class and they said "well you confirmed the massage and we will have to charge you 1/2 the price if you don't do it!" I stated "Your policy says I have to give 24 hours notice, but you made the appt for my LESS than 24 hrs prior to the massage." We were in GC all day and did not get back to our cabin till 10pm to call. There was no one there and no way to leave a message". I was persistant and they DID cancel the massage without charge. I guess they DO care about customer satisfaction sometimes!

Hi Jacquelyn - It was a pleasure to meet you and your family on the Mariner. Enjoyed your review very much and we also had a great time on the Mariner. So much so that we decided to take our kids and grandkids with us on the Freedom, October 15, 2006 C&A members cruise. We really lucked out on the weather, especially since it was so bad back here at home during our absence. :) Take care and hope we run into you on some future cruise.

Luv - I'm the manager of a hospital pharmacy that also services a 182 bed nursing home. I have 2 pre-teen sons at home. My MIL lives near us and needs our help frequently, my mom, in her 70's is more self sufficent. When people ask me how many kids I have I usually reply "4", 11,12,46, and 81. Oh, forgot 2 cats also!

Between job and home, I have to pay attention to detail alot! Yea, I'm also somewhat a Type A personality. I do make our a schedule, but I don't "live and die" by it. I also have a photographic memory, and just "remember" things. Not always useful things, but I remember them. Back in the 1970's McDonalds had a jingle with their Big Mac burgers, "Two All Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions on a Sesame Seed Bun". I worked there and they did a funny commercial of saying it backwards. I did it all the time. It's been 30 years since I worked at Mickey D's, but I still remember it. I'll probably be babbling it in my wheelchar 60 years from now!! :eek:

Well that explains it. You can keep the job and the family members :p (and cats) but I wish I had the photographic memory. I have a terrible memory. I've read books and tried different techniques but nothing has helped. If I don't write certain stuff down it's hit and miss whether it will be remembered. It could be something as easy as remembering the packed snack for my hour commute. I left in on the counter the other morning because I did something else before walking out the door. The morning commute snack ended up as the after dinner snack.

I applaud you for taking all the time to write it down for others.

• 1 month later...

Jacquelyn, I have found your review very interesting with a lot of detail and imformation. It has helped me to prepare for my cruise on Jan 15 2006. I would just like to ask a few things, You mentioned a ship-shape dollare, what is it? also on the dunns river falls review you mentioned take out points, what are they? Thank-you for all the help.

We are also on the 8/7 Mariner. We are getting married on St Thomas. There are 18 of us total. I am hoping that my future wife's sister (20yo) will be able to meet some people and have a good time.

she will...we just got off of the July 24th sailing...it was fabulous and there were plenty of young folks your future SIL will find to hang with...somebody just please tell me what happened to dancing facing each other...LOL

Jacquelyn, I have found your review very interesting with a lot of detail and imformation. It has helped me to prepare for my cruise on Jan 15 2006. I would just like to ask a few things, You mentioned a ship-shape dollare, what is it? also on the dunns river falls review you mentioned take out points, what are they? Thank-you for all the help.

tazza:

not sure what take out points are but by taking part in different events on the ship you can earn ship shape dollars and then redeem them for different prizes...for instance the 8:30 morning walk, the juggling class, the learn to line dance by the pool, etc...the daily compass that you receive in your cabin every nite will denote which activities for the following day will award you the ship shape dollars...don't be like me though and forget to go redeem them...oh, well, that just means I have to sail again soon...LOL

I am really enjoying reading your review. Right now, I feel like I am in the middle of a great book, and can't wait to continue reading it!! We will be on the Mariner 11/13/05, and have never been on one of the BIG ships before. Did you think both of the specialty restaurants were terrific, or did you prefer one over the other? We used Nativeway in May of 2003, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Our tour was so much better than the ship's tour, and at a much lower cost. I definetly recommend Nativeway.

Keep up the great work,

Peggy

Jacquelyn,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review! We are going to be on the Mariner in November and can't wait. I had a few questions about embarking the ship since we have never left out of Port Canaveral. We are planning on getting to the ship early also. Did the porters take your luggage when you arrived or did you have to wait until a certain time for them to take it? Were you able to go into the terminal and wait in line or were you just hanging around outside until a certain time? What time were you permitted to go through security and head in to register? Do you know where the pier coordinater was located? Thank you once again for the wonderful information about the Mariner. :)

Jennifer

Tazza,

Dunn River Fall is about 500 feet in length (I think). If you get up so far and have 'had enough' there are a couple of points along the way you can leave the falls before you get to the top. I think there is two or three, but didn't make it past the first one this time! I did the whole thing in my 20's but my memory of that trip is foggy! (being a older Foggey now!) :o

As far as the ship shape dollars, ILuvCruzin is right. I think I collected 12 (embarassed myself with the juggling and the basketball free throws!) and got a nice workout towel. I also went to the stretch class every morning. They DON'T give you one for just using the gym or running the treadmill.

Jlx2,

We got to the port about 10:15am where the porters took care of our luggage. We went thru security and waited in the terminal seating area till my DH got back and we were able to all get in line together. The guy at the ouside terminal gate said we were "early" but let us go in anyway.

Since I knew there was no chance for an upgrade I did not search for the pier coordinator, but I'm sure you could ask one of the attendants and they could direct you to them.

Ya'll have a great time on your cruise!

Archived