Do you need to rent a car?

faith177

I'm wondering how far it is to explore when you get off the ship? I've never been to the islands before so no idea. Is it generally a far way to the sights, or can you get off the ship and spend your time walking and seeing stuff, like beaches, shopping, parks, ect.......

I'm wondering how far it is to explore when you get off the ship? I've never been to the islands before so no idea. Is it generally a far way to the sights, or can you get off the ship and spend your time walking and seeing stuff, like beaches, shopping, parks, ect.......

You will get much more helpful hints if you state your interests and activities.

Which cruise line are you on?

Which cities are you visiting?

How much do you want to spend?

I prefer to have a car and plan my own itinerary. Keep in mind that there isn't a single island you can geographically drive completely around. Need to take into account traffic and possible accidents that may block major thoroughfares. If you focus on maybe making 4-8 stops, that would probably take up your day. Oahu has a good bus system, but they can get crowded and it will take you 3 times as long over driving.

You will get lots of help if you clarify what you want to do.

Aloha, Renee (displace local girl)

Agree with the above poster ... knowing which ports you are going to will help, but I think that staying within walking distance of any of the ports means missing the best places in Hawaii.

Others have asked that question recently, so you might want to scroll through to see if you can find similar threads. Here's a link to one of them.

Also - have a look at the Ports link at the top of the page ... there is info on all of the Hawaii ports, including what to see near the port.

Thank you, I will check out that link, my ports are hilo, kailua kona,2 days in lahaina, nawiliwili, and ending in honolulu.

Is there one in particular where a car would be really beneficial, I cant see us renting a car in each port. Thanks for any info :)

I would definitely rent a vehicle in Hilo, Lahaina (at least one day) and Nawiliwili.

You could get by without one in Kona and Honolulu (Honolulu has a good bus system.) However, it would be nice to see more of Oahu than just Honolulu, especially if you're there for more than a day.

Archived