Short Review Island Princess - 5/28 Anchorage to Vancouver

Blamar

First of all, I didn't want to go. I love cruising but I like to go to places with sand and palm trees. I like to go to places where if you fell into the water you would not die in five minutes from hypothermia. But my DW, Marla, saw this ad for a very cheap Princess cruise that included the airfare from Vancouver and it matched up perfectly with our 28th wedding anniversary. So what could I say, we took off for Vancouver on our cruise with only one week's notice.

Getting to Alaska was all set up by Princess, we had an excellent flight on Alaska Airlines. It was the first time I had been on a flight #1. The Princess rep was terriffic at meeting us at the Anchorage and guiding us onto the bus from Whitterier. It started to rain but the 2 hour bus ride was very comfortable. When we got into Whittier the rain turned to a deluge and the train from those who did tours to the north. So there was bunches of people wanting to get onto the boat making the dash from vehicles to rain.

The embarkation process was very very easy and took only about 15 minutes. We met some very nice people in the line and just had a great time getting ourselves on board. And then we came up to that moment just before you get on the boat, that time after getting up at 7am, flying for an hour to Seattle, sitting around Sea-Tac for two hours, a two point five hour flight to Anchorage, two hour bus ride in the rain and a half hour standing in line, now someone wants to take a picture of our smiling exhaused faces.

We spend our first night waiting around for our luggage. It was about five o'clock when we boarded the ship and took a tour. Marla really wanted to check out their spa. We had supper in the Provence Diningroom and it was very good. Most of the food services were excellent, even the Horizon Court.

Our cabin was supposed to be a Catagory N inside, but instead we were 'upgraded' to an obscured view cabin on the Emerald Deck. It was not bad except for one detail. It is directly above the band for the Wheelhouse Lounge. So for each evening if we happened to be in the cabin between 6pm and mid-night we heard and felt the "thump, thump, thump" of the base player. So do take note, if you get a room on Emerald in the range of E312 to E334 be prepared for a noisy night. Aside from that the room was still of excellet quality.

Our first two days were at see. First we went to College Fjord and then to Glacier Bay National Park. They were an awesome part of the trip. In Skagway, we took the White Pass and Yukon Rail expedition up to the White Pass. This is in the "Do this, no matter what catagory." Skip the tourist traps like the Red Onion. Its a great place for an overpriced burger and ordinary beer. Juneau was just another tourist town and really had little to offer us. Although Marla loved the Jewellry stores. On the other hand, she is part magpie and responds very well to things that sparkle. Ketchikan was a great place to walk in. We did the city's self guided walking tour and stopped at "Dolly's" on Creek Street.

The trip down through the inside passage was wonderful. During the whole trip the weather was great and sights were beyond any expectation. The service was attentive and acceptable. Not outstanding but I think that is more a case of being overworked. For example, our cabin steward had 18 rooms to look out for. I also think that the auto tip policy stops the staff from attempting a great service goal.

The entertainment was, well they tried, but still I would put them on the level of talented community theater. On the other hand, the comics were great. The Cruise director was invisible and aside from promoting places to by things that offer a kick-back to the street I was not really sure of what they did. The shore excursion desk was in the same catagory. The naturalists gave kindergarten level science classes.

We disembarked in Vancouver. This was the easiest disembarkation that I have ever experienced. All went very well and very easily. My biggest complaint about Princess is that they nickel and dime you at every opportunity and now the nickels and dimes are turning into quarters and dollars. My biggest compliment is that they do try hard to earn your business by being competitive, good service for the price and great interaries. The alaska trip was a great iterary. Oh, and remember I said "I didn't want to go?" I was awesomely wrong. I would do the Alaska cruise again as soon as the opportunity came up again. I loved it.

Hi Blamar,

Hello, I enjoyed your review. I wanted to pop in and tell you that your review was right on. We were on the Island the Northbound May 21-28. This was our first cruise and first trip to Alaska. I have nothing to compare with, but I thought that Princess was great. We did see Dave the cruise director maybe a little bit more than maybe you, but other wise I really agree with your comments. We have many fond memories and hope to return someday!

Take care!!

Pamela

Oh, and remember I said "I didn't want to go?" I was awesomely wrong. I would do the Alaska cruise again as soon as the opportunity came up again. I loved it.

The only reason I went to Alaska the first time was because we got a free cruise. We selected Alaska because "we would never pay to go there" and then in poured the entire trip but I saw enough of Alaska to know that if it wasn't pouring, it would be incredible! I have returned (and payed to return) 3 more years in a row.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

BTW - I think all the lines are nickel and diming (until you get to the premium lines such as Radisson, Crystal). When I sailed Celebrity a few years ago, I felt like everything onboard was so much more expensive (same drinks, same tours, same transfers) than on Princess. Unfortunately, it seems to be an industry trend.

Thanks for the review! We did the same itinerary, only two weeks before. I agree with you on pretty much all points - although we had a great time in Juneau, on a whale watch trip and also to see the Mendenhall Glacier. Of all the towns, we thought it was the least "touristy" once you got away from the dock area.

Archived