Meriton & Sydney Apartments Options??

TLCOhio

As we are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice 14-day sailing, departing to Auckland/NZ, we are considering our pre-cruise options in Sydney. Plus, we are also planning some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor.

We are looking at options with Meriton and/or another comparable apartment, central location that would have laundry options to catch up, be ready for our cruise after the GBR and KI stops, have room to relax, etc.

In comparing Meriton's four central Sydney locations, they seem to be in the same general areas. I have been looking at 95 Liverpool Street, 329 Pitt Street, 528 Kent Street and 6 Campbell Street. All of their buildings seem fairly nice and new. Which location and/or apartment set-ups do you like better or best? Any other insights, tips, reactions, suggestions? Which is closest to good neighborhoods, handy public transit, areas with more character, charm, interesting walking-around experiences to get a nice, fun sampling of Sydney?

Or, any other such locations/apartment operations you would suggest to consider? Location trade-offs of being at these Meriton locations versus something closer to The Rocks, cruise docking place, etc.? We might be with one or two other couples from central Ohio, so a larger two or three bedroom unit could be fairly cost-effective for the two or three nights prior to our cruise.

THANKS for the help and insights! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 119,098 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi. I really don't like Meriton properties - the clientele is a real mixed bag of permanent residents, short term rentals and sub lets. I worked in the building next to the Liverpool St one and my company had dealings with the occupants. I certainly would not recommend that one. If you really want to stick with Meriton, the Kent St one is probably the best.

Other properties you might like to research are the Breakfree chain. Also, the Quay West can sometimes have attractive rates. If you are willing to use public transport I can also recommend the Mantra at Chatswood. Its about a 15min trip into the city or closer in, the Vibe hotel at North Sydney - the 1 bedroom suites would be great for a short term stay

I have been staying at the Kent St Meriton twice a year for the last 5 or 6 years and have no complaints. It is close to all amenities and the transport options are excellent. Every apartment has a washing machine and dryer. The apartments are right on the edge of Chinatown so there are lots of restaurants and shops to explore. It is also only a 5 minute walk to Darling Harbour. In light traffic a cab to the dock would only take around 15 mins but Sydney traffic is rarely light.

The Liverpool St Meriton is only half a block from the Kent St property. I've not stayed there but the only thing I know is that the rental apartments start on a high floor so you MAY get good views. Their website shows some pretty amazing two bedroom apartments on the top floors but I guess you pay for the view.

I stayed at the Pitt St Meriton once. It is a couple of blocks closer to the centre of the City but I wouldn't recommend it.

cheers

Stu

Around the rocks area is a nice place to stay ..... That is old sydney...... You are also close to circular quay where you can jump on and off a ferry to manly, the zoo, the opera house is there along with botanical gardens and rail station to get else where..... Darling harbour is walkable or you can get there by water.... The hop on hop off bus will get you everywhere else including bondi beach

Joanne heading into the city right now lol

The Grand Mercure apartments in Darling Harbour have 3 bed room apartments....wonderful views of the city lights and quite convenient to get around to the Quay and the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

They are not cheap but if you were sharing they are not too bad..

Sue

If your looking for a 'serviced apartment' as we call them down here with a bit of luxury and a position that cannot be beat for location, then try the Pullman Grand (part of the Sebel chain who also operate Quay West which I saw mentioned in another posters comments).

The Pullman Grand is right on the boardwalk that leads between the railway and ferries at Circular Quay and the Sydney Opera house. Apartments look either onto Circular Quay, the Harbour Bridge and across to the OPT where the Solstice will tie up, or the apartments at the back look onto the Royal Botanical Gardens (obviously the harbour view ones are more expensive). Each apartment whether its one or two bedrooms have a laundry.

However, they are not the cheapest serviced apartments out there but its a trip of a lifetime hey!!!!

http://www.mirvachotels.com/pullman-quay-grand-sydney-harbour

In the link I gave you you their website, the Pullman Grand is the white building on the right hand side of the picture and you can see the OPT on the far left (with no ship in).

Hi. I really don't like Meriton properties - the clientele is a real mixed bag of permanent residents, short term rentals and sub lets. I worked in the building next to the Liverpool St one and my company had dealings with the occupants. I certainly would not recommend that one. If you really want to stick with Meriton, the Kent St one is probably the best. Other properties you might like to research are the Breakfree chain. Also, the Quay West can sometimes have attractive rates. If you are willing to use public transport I can also recommend the Mantra at Chatswood. Its about a 15min trip into the city or closer in, the Vibe hotel at North Sydney - the 1 bedroom suites would be great for a short term stay

Stuartm: I have been staying at the Kent St Meriton twice a year for the last 5 or 6 years and have no complaints. It is close to all amenities and the transport options are excellent. Every apartment has a washing machine and dryer. The apartments are right on the edge of Chinatown so there are lots of restaurants and shops to explore. It is also only a 5 minute walk to Darling Harbour. In light traffic a cab to the dock would only take around 15 mins but Sydney traffic is rarely light. The Liverpool St Meriton is only half a block from the Kent St property. I've not stayed there but the only thing I know is that the rental apartments start on a high floor so you MAY get good views. Their website shows some pretty amazing two bedroom apartments on the top floors but I guess you pay for the view. I stayed at the Pitt St Meriton once. It is a couple of blocks closer to the centre of the City but I wouldn't recommend it. cheers Stu

packetau: Around the rocks area is a nice place to stay ..... That is old sydney...... You are also close to circular quay where you can jump on and off a ferry to manly' date=' the zoo, the opera house is there along with botanical gardens and rail station to get else where..... Darling harbour is walkable or you can get there by water.... The hop on hop off bus will get you everywhere else including bondi beach [/quote']

rugbypopsie: The Grand Mercure apartments in Darling Harbour have 3 bed room apartments....wonderful views of the city lights and quite convenient to get around to the Quay and the Overseas Passenger Terminal. They are not cheap but if you were sharing they are not too bad.. Sue

6andy6: If your looking for a 'serviced apartment' as we call them down here with a bit of luxury and a position that cannot be beat for location' date=' then try the Pullman Grand (part of the Sebel chain who also operate Quay West which I saw mentioned in another posters comments). The Pullman Grand is right on the boardwalk that leads between the railway and ferries at Circular Quay and the Sydney Opera house. Apartments look either onto Circular Quay, the Harbour Bridge and across to the OPT where the Solstice will tie up, or the apartments at the back look onto the Royal Botanical Gardens (obviously the harbour view ones are more expensive). Each apartment whether its one or two bedrooms have a laundry. However, they are not the cheapest serviced apartments out there but its a trip of a lifetime hey!!!!

http://www.mirvachotels.com/pullman-...sydney-harbour

In the link I gave you you their website, the Pullman Grand is the white building on the right hand side of the picture and you can see the OPT on the far left (with no ship in). [/quote']

Appreciate so much this great range of added info, options and potentials to consider for early 2014 during our time in Sidney. I will BOTH copy this info to my laptop trip file AND share with those on the roll call for our cruise. Keep it coming with any and all added comments, experiences, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 119,248 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Appreciate so much this great range of added info, options and potentials to consider for early 2014 during our time in Sidney. I will BOTH copy this info to my laptop trip file AND share with those on the roll call for our cruise. Keep it coming with any and all added comments, experiences, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 119,248 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We stayed at the Meriton on Pitt St 3 years ago and LOVED it. LOVED IT. It was amazing. It was clean, tidy and the view was to die for. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

However if you don't really need an apartment and just want a room, the Sydney Travelodge on Wentworth St (2 min walk from Museum Station) has washing machines and dryers.

We stayed at the Meriton on Pitt St 3 years ago and LOVED it. LOVED IT. It was amazing. It was clean, tidy and the view was to die for. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

However if you don't really need an apartment and just want a room, the Sydney Travelodge on Wentworth St (2 min walk from Museum Station) has washing machines and dryers.

Also please don't waste your money paying for a hop on hop off bus. Sydney's transport system has a great travelcard system. Here's some ideas for things to do in Sydney

Sydney is one of my all time favourite places.

Bondi Beach, bus to Watson's Bay, walk to the gap, walk back, fish n chips from the Doyle's Takeaways shop, ferry back to Sydney - Circular Quay

Ferry to Manly, wander down to the beach

Shopping at Bondi Junction or Parramatta Westfield

Darling Harbour - Chinese Gardens, Maritime Museum, Aquarium and Wildlife World (Our favourite thing 3 years ago), Madame Tussauds, shopping, bars - it's very cool.

Walk over the Harbour Bridge, we did it at night time which was amazing, then caught train back to city.

Swimming in the various pools, we did Boy Charlton, Cook St, North Harbour and Ian Thorpe

Power House Museum, Paddy's Market and Chinatown

Rocks Market if you're there on a weekend

Wander around the Rocks.

Taronga Zoo - a very worthwhile Zoo

Walk in the botanical gardens - start up near the entrance near Hyde Park, then wander down to the walkway around the harbour to the Opera House

Circular Quay and the Opera House

Sydney Museum, the Art Gallery, Hyde Park, Sydney Tower, Hyde Park Barracks.

I get a copy of the DK Sydney guide book out of the Library a few days before we go, and keep it on hand if we don't know what to do next.

Theres a hop on hop off bus that we've never done because it's so expensive in comparison to a $20 all day ferry/bus/train Mytrip Multi pass. There's two of the hop on hop off buses, one Sydney city and one Bondi/East Coast one.

Day trip to the Blue Mountains, but probably something better kept for a longer time period there?

If you want a hotel room that has full service as a hotel, a kitchen, laundry all in the one room then there are the following:

Quay Grand Suites: This hotel has balcony rooms overlooking where your ship will dock and it is in walking distance to the ship.

http://www.mirvachotels.com/pullman-quay-grand-sydney-harbour?gclid=CMPB6PDTsrUCFcZYpQodcU0AUA

Taken from the balcony of the hotel

6459143595_cecf0d0d7b_b.jpg

8470412960_293946a7f2_b.jpg

8469317631_5f4d36930b_b.jpg

8470412292_71422bcdf8_b.jpg

8470417958_0437b1c655_c.jpg

I normally stay here before I cruise out of Sydney. It is a great hotel. Although expensive when you consider in Australia prices are inclusive of service (ie no tipping like you would in USA), large rooms, harbour views, laundry, kitchen with cooking facilities and a fully serviced room with turn down service and room make up in the morning the price is quite reasonable.

Also I have not stayed here but it used to be part of the same hotel chain the Quay West Suites in Sydney offer harbour views of the ship, Opera House and Bridge as well as kitchen, laundry in your hotel room.

For the Quay West you are looking around $260-300 for advance purchase.

Where as Quay Grand you are looking around $450 per night advance purchase.

I believe they do package deals if you want to stay for 5 nights give or take.

I know a lot of people will jump on and quote this and say they look for "cheap" Thats their choice to buy cheap. I am just a blue collar worker, nothing executive and I like to splurge and enjoy myself. I think about the price and benefits. Central location - avoiding transport costs, kitchen - avoiding meal costs, stunning views, comfortable, security, luxury to wind down and relax after that flight. Expensive yes, worth it yes.

Hotels will rip you off where they can. I did the P&O Grand Event back in July and stayed at the so called cheap hotel Ibis in Southampton and because it was the "Grand Event" their rooms shot up close to $400/night for a cheap and tacky room. No matter where you stay they will have to fork out money. These hotels above although expensive you get what you pay for.

Its up to you but it is a comparable alternative to Meriton Service Apartments excpet these are part of a 5 stay hotel chain.

How far is the nearest grocery store from these hotels??

Thanks,

Sandra

+ 1 for Meriton on Pitt:)

Den

Thanks,

Sandra

Less than half a kilometer away there are IGA express stores and other private stores even closer.

Less than half a kilometer away there are IGA express stores and other private stores even closer.

As Sutho has said, there are several convenience stores in the area but these are very limited in what they offer and are expensive. The IGA supermarket in the AMP building which is very close to the Quay Grand is only open Monday to Friday and closes around 6pm.

There is a Coles Express supermarket (which offers more choice) in Wynyard Railway Station which is about a 20 min walk from the Quay Grand but probably 10 mins form the Quay West.

cheers

Stu

Thanks,

Sandra

From the Meriton on Pitt St, the nearest supermarket is just around the corner, no more than a few hundred meters away, same with nearest train station.

But Quay West and Quay Grand are both near the dock and in walking distance to the ships and major city sights and transport hubs.

And the Pitt St Meriton is a 2 min walk from the train station which takes you directly to Circular Quay, is half the price of Quay West and Quay Grand, it 2 mins from a Supermarket, and is a short walk to Darling Harbour and many other of the sites. And now that the light rail is included in the My Multi Pass, it's so easy to get around Sydney that there's no need to be paying $400 per night or more to have good accomodation because transport is so accessible.

And the Pitt St Meriton is a 2 min walk from the train station which takes you directly to Circular Quay, is half the price of Quay West and Quay Grand, it 2 mins from a Supermarket, and is a short walk to Darling Harbour and many other of the sites. And now that the light rail is included in the My Multi Pass, it's so easy to get around Sydney that there's no need to be paying $400 per night or more to have good accomodation because transport is so accessible.

Its up to the person after the accommodation. For me I stay at those places. Its better than lugguing your bags and suitcases onto overcrowded dirty trains. The Quay West and Quay Grand offer comfort, central locations and stunning views. It sometimes feels great to relax in a spa bath after a day of touring.

Not all cruise passengers look for cheap by the way. You get what you pay for.

Incidently the Meriton rooms that have the kitchen and laundry start at $295 peak season and go up from there.

Ibwould recommend the medina!( I think they recently changed name to adina). Nice one on crown street surrounded by amazing cafes and more hip crowd. Other option is the one in darling harbor. More touristy but that's probably not a bad thing considering you are a touirst

I'm sure you will love this gorgeous city.

Ibwould recommend the medina!( I think they recently changed name to adina). Nice one on crown street surrounded by amazing cafes and more hip crowd. Other option is the one in darling harbor. More touristy but that's probably not a bad thing considering you are a touirst. I'm sure you will love this gorgeous city.

Appreciate these great, added comments, ideas, pictures and suggestions for Sydeny and its many wonderful options. All very helpful!! It has been fun learning more on Australia.

We've now got our airline bookings done that get us down from Ohio to Dallas, Hawaii, Brisbane and then Cairns. All on American Airlines Frequent Flyer miles. Good news having the flights and seats booked!! Will do JetStar or Qantas for Cairns to Adelaide/Kangaroo Island and then to Sydney to see that city and board our Solstice cruise ship on Jan. 20, 2014. So many have been very helpful in sharing the potentials for down under! Keep it coming. More and more is good. Once we get our return air options done next month, then we will focus more on the various Sydney and other port details, options.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 119,837 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Archived