Liquor Stores still open near Crowne Plaza in San Pedro?

pmd98052

We'll be flying in early evening this coming Friday. Searching these threads there used to be a few liquor stores nearby:

Anchor Liquor (Block or two from hotel)

Oceans Liquor Market (opposite pier, 10 min walk from hotel)

However when I call those I get number disconnected.

Is there a liquor store (Drug store, mini mart etc) near the Crowne Plaza that would be open around 8 or 9pm on a Friday? (Or open 9-10am on the Sat)?

Many thanks!

We'll be flying in early evening this coming Friday. Searching these threads there used to be a few liquor stores nearby:

Anchor Liquor (Block or two from hotel)

Oceans Liquor Market (opposite pier, 10 min walk from hotel)

However when I call those I get number disconnected.

Is there a liquor store (Drug store, mini mart etc) near the Crowne Plaza that would be open around 8 or 9pm on a Friday? (Or open 9-10am on the Sat)?

Many thanks!

We were there at the end of Dec, liquor store across from the port is still there. Don't remember name though. There are also stores along 7th / 6th St behind Crowne Plaza, easily in walking distance.

There is a Vons Supermarket at 1221 S Gaffney Street which is about a ten minute walk from the hotel. I would recommend going on a Saturday morning rather than at night as it attracts some characters. It is not a top of the line supermarket, but will probably have what you need. I stocked up on some beverages for our cruise there a couple of years ago.

There was a liquor store just a block or two from the hotel, but I can not remember the name.

In California, stores other than liquor stores can apply for a liquor license. Grocery stores, drug stores (CVS,for example), discount stores (Walmart and Target) can sell booze and wine. Many of them will be open til 9 or 10, or even later, and they can sell alcohol on Sundays, too.

Addint to Cruisin's comment- Non-grocery stores can get liquor licenses in CA but cities sometimes will not allow liquor sales as a pre-condition to getting a permit. It happens fairly often with Walmart, Target, etc. when a city feels that it will add to problems in a neighborhood. I recall reading on this board that some of the large stores in the Long Beach/SP port areas don't sell liquor...so you might pre-check if you aren't sure.

A related story- I was in Laie, Hawaii a few years ago. It's on the north shore of Oahu and site of Brigham Young University Hawaii as well as the Polynesian Cultural Center. I went to the large grocery store to pick up food for dinner at our rented beach house, and circled the store twice looking for the liquor section. When I noticed a lot of customers wearing their BYU or Mormon Church badges, I realized what was going on! :)

I called the hotel and they claimed a store within a block or so - I'll check it out when I arrive unfortunately we land at 6.40pm so I'm worried by the time we get luggage and find the shuttle we'll get to the hotel just too late. Hotel said its open till 9pm.

I called the hotel and they claimed a store within a block or so - I'll check it out when I arrive unfortunately we land at 6.40pm so I'm worried by the time we get luggage and find the shuttle we'll get to the hotel just too late. Hotel said its open till 9pm.[/quote

7 Day Food Store is the new name as of a week ago. Also, known as 7 Day Liquor Store. It's on 7th street and Centre Street right next to Godmother's Saloon. It's a liquor store so the booze selection is good. Wine selection is crap and they have sodas but they are pricy. If you are looking for hard liquor you can also walk up the street to the CVS at the corner of 7th street and Gaffey (not Gaffney). You can get sodas and water there as well. OR, there is a mexican grocery store called Numero Uno on 5th and Pacific where you can get sodas and water for less but no booze. 7 Day stays open later than 9pm unless that has changed in the last week or so.

Just got back from 7 Day Food Market and can confirm its enough to stock up on some basics. I'm sure its cheaper elsewhere but convenience wins here and its still much cheaper than on the ship.

We always grab a red wine box - no fancy selections here but it will do - $13.29 for a 5 litre box.

1 750ml bottle Smirnoff Vodka, $14.99

Store is open 8am - 11pm (some nights were 11.30pm I think Fri/Sat) and Mon-Thur they open 7.30m.

So recommended if you want to pick up some pre cruise basics!

From my room on the 7th floor to the store was 5 mins exactly.

And if you're after a good to great bottle of wine, there is a very nice wine shop within comfortable walking distance of Crowne Plaza. I don't remember the name offhand but we had a great visit with the owner when we last did a cruise out of San Pedro. Great selection, good prices but maybe nothing in a box.

Steve

Archived