Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Could this be a preventative maintence problem fleetwide? Could Carnival be holding back funds needed for repairs to make it's bottom line look better? We cruised on Triumph in '08 and loved her, ship was showing some age, but we had a great cruise. 2nd cruise with CCL scheduled for May, but will probably cancel while we're still able. With the bad luck plaguing Carnival, the wife is just not comfortable having our vacation plans depending on this cruiseline.

Entirely possible but I doubt it is a fleet wide problem as part of a plan to pad the bottom line. No cruise line makes money on a ship out of commission. There is also the negative press that comes from such an event. We're booked on Triumph for October and have no plans to cancel .

. . .As far as flights go, some airlines operate large wide-body aircraft in all economy configuration allowing them to fly 400+ at a time. They can also charter quite a lot of smaller planes with fast turn-arounds. If all the stars align, they can have people out of there relatively fast.

Ironically, the largest jets in existence currently have zero passengers scheduled for them, and could get the job done pronto . . . but no one would be recommending those now, since they have a potentially more painful boo-boo than Carnival Triumph is experiencing.

There is certainly some midnight oil being burned at Miami corporate, and I hope those people assigned to the task(s) have great success in getting this all resolved with as little pain for all as possible.

I am personally curious, though, how many of the CCL execs stayed close to the office today for assistance, and how many chose to attending the Miami game to support LeBron?

Wonder what will happen with those folks who don't have passports?

Earl

As long as you use Carnival's transportation to get back to the U.S, your original travel documents will be fine. If you try to get your own transportation back then that's where it will take a little more time but even then it shouldn't be a problem.

Ironically, the largest jets in existence currently have zero passengers scheduled for them, and could get the job done pronto . . . but no one would be recommending those now, since they have a potentially more painful boo-boo than Carnival Triumph is experiencing.

There is certainly some midnight oil being burned at Miami corporate, and I hope those people assigned to the task(s) have great success in getting this all resolved with as little pain for all as possible.

I am personally curious, though, how many of the CCL execs stayed close to the office today for assistance, and how many chose to attending the Miami game to support LeBron?

I am not sure Mickey needs or even wants to be part of the details....(not even sure he could add anything....) That being said, I believe that Cahill was at the pier in San Diego to greet (poor choice of words) passengers as they disembarked.

This is, perhaps, the most important question raised!

With all the cutbacks of the last couple of years. it is not unreasonable to ask this question!

I think it was more of a change then a cut back, take away something from the 80s add something new. I quite enjoyed the cutbacks on the dream ship....no longer just the buffet but about 6 other choices..if that's a cutback please do more.

Seriously nobody died like 5 other folks on a cruise today but ohh my....Sh!t happens. Feel sorry for those on board and or booked. But please turn on nancy grace and get back to your usual program.

For those of you who have family members aboard and have been posting on this thread!

Have you been contacted by any reporters? I've had 2 of them contact me asking questions!

No reporters have contacted me, how would they? How would they get my info and not sure what i would say except i think they are doing a good job, contacted me quickly and have a plan in the works... What can you say? Things happen, must go with the flow sometime. My sister is supposed to be closing on her first apartment complex this week, it will need to be moved to next week. She will miss work too, and has my 3 year old nephew with her. It's frustrating but sometimes life stinks, make the best of it. I am happy to get a text saying "i love you". That just puts my mind at ease since there is nothing i can do anyway and it seems carnival has things taken care of.

What in the world does that have to do with anything?

I'd keep the plans. Dream is a much newer ship. From what I've gathered here, it's class seems to have a lot less problems then others.

Depends. Most "upgrade" dry docks are roughly 2 weeks. Destiny's "transformation" will take roughly a month (i think). Splendor's emergency dry-dock lasted roughly 3 months.

If they are thinkink clearly-they might just push project sunshine back a bit. Sure would be nice to have a ship close to the same size as triumph with no passengers scheduled for the next two months..

UPDATE, 8:22 pm ET: Carnival says the Carnival Triumph will be towed to Progreso, Mexico, the nearest port to its location, in a process that will take several days. The line says it expects the ship to arrive in Progreso on Wednesday afternoon. Passengers then will be flown home. Carnival also has canceled the next two sailings of the vessel.

It is too early to really know what caused the fire/breakdown. These ships are very complex and the systems are interrelated. An electrical fire could be the result of problems with the engines ( overloading circuits etc).

What we do know is that breakdown's/fires that leave ships dead in the water should not be happening. Neither should issues that prevent the ship from traveling at full speed.

Any or these issues on a ship trying to out run a huricane or other major storm would be extremely ugly event.

I'll start by saying how awful for everyone involved. What a nightmare scenario.

But is it bad that I'm thinking about the price drop potential for my early saver booking for september from the fallout from this? ;)

Besides the no bathroom and no powers, I'd almost want to sign up on the ship. Nothing like a 4 dayer turned into a 7 day. Actually, I could do without the power as well as long as they have some activities around the ship. Just no bathrooms, well, that stinks. :eek:

Seriously nobody died like 5 other folks on a cruise today but ohh my....Sh!t happens. Feel sorry for those on board and or booked. But please turn on nancy grace and get back to your usual program.

Sh!t happens is not an appropriate response. None died this time but what about next time.......Questions do need to be asked. Carnival seems to have too many of these incidents.

The other incident with 5 deaths reflects badly on the whole cruise industry. For one under the new safety rules since Costa they are supposed to lower the boat empty during drills. On the other hand if it were a real evacuation it would have been loaded with passengers. This is all bad. Not sh!t happens....

What we do know is that breakdown's/fires that leave ships dead in the water should not be happening. Neither should issues that prevent the ship from traveling at full speed.

I was told when I did a Behind the Fun tour that once they pull the CO2 system it basically kills wherever they pull it. Their only option if it's a critical area is to tow the ship to port. The engineer said if it's a small fire they just use extinguishers but if it's large or an area they can't easily get the CO2 is the only option.

Totally agree. Also everyone should push the little red triangle and report them to CC.

And now get ready for the bytching to begin, I want more, Carnival has ruined my life, I want more compesation than Carnival is giving, even thought Carnival does not have to do much of anything. Carnival always goes above and beyond the requirements.

Besides the no bathroom and no powers, I'd almost want to sign up on the ship. Nothing like a 4 dayer turned into a 7 day. Actually, I could do without the power as well as long as they have some activities around the ship. Just no bathrooms, well, that stinks. :eek:

Haha, well ya know....I have to sound sensitive before I say something insensitive. Really though, I'm sure it's terrifying. Definitely wouldn't choose to be there.

I bet there's tons of free booze flowing. The bathroom situation is definitely a situation though. Although, staying in my own room with just my own situation, eh...

Still doesn't explain it unless you keep your personal info in your profile.

They have databases they pay to access that will tell them every place you lived, list all your relatives, have all your phone numbers, and many more facts about every person.

Lexis Nexis runs one that is shocking for the amount of data that they have on people. Private investigators, law firms, debit collectors, etc., all have paid access.

They could be using CC to see posts where someone posted their full name and in their profile they listed their home town. They just start going through the list of data making calls.

Archived