Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I thought CBP was under ICE now administratively. If not, I sit corrected. Either way, the appropriate agency can waive the requirements with the approval of the appropriate administrators.

I think CBP reports directly to DHS. I could be wrong. Either way, they aren't just going to allow 2000 people without passports to reenter the US without some hoops to jump through.

I don't see this as a big problem. Mechanical things can break, etc. We are booked again on the Triumph for October, so I hope they don't replace it, as we really like it. Anytime you travel, by whatever means, there is some risk. I also think Carnival is being more than fair , giving back full refunds plus expenses, and giving future credits for the same amount of the current cruise, so basically, other than some danger and inconvenience,they are receiving 2 free cruises, as the one with the fire was on it's last day..

All of the news agencies are now reporting that they now have bathroom facilities available.

That will make life on board much more tolerable. I'm glad they were able to address the greatest need/potential health hazard, which is sanitation.

I'm sure the legal and PR departments are working hard on putting the correct spin on any news they release. Considering that anything they say could have an effect on their stock price, they will be very careful.

Stock is inching down.

. Think of the cost of 3100 pax. x the cost of 2 cruises + the cost of lost shipboard revenue + the costs of transporting those pax. back home on chartered transportation.

. Not to mention cost of moving a ship that size across open ocean with no propulsion of its own, or the cost of repairs, or the revenue lost from the ship being out of commision for at least 2 cycles.

. This will cost CCL A LOT OF MONEY

"This is happening far to often in the Carnival Fleet. Instead of blindly defending the corporation, real questions need to asked and answered regarding passenger safety.

Has Carnival scrimped on engineering and safety issues as they have cut back on entertainment and food?

Have officers and crewmen received the best training even if it costs more?

Carnival Corporation has created an environment and reputation of providing the cheapest cruise possible. The question is what does this imply regarding passenger comfort and safety?"

I have been asking the same questions to myself. So many disasters in the Carnival Corp. in the past few years. What gives?

I can only guess that this post was moved over from the RCCL boards, cause I see some of my RCCL homies.

And I guess all these questions can only start to be answered when they ID the root cause of the fire.

ducklite, I also would say if the employee was valuable, a caring company/place to work for or one that wants to keep that employee, that person wouldn't been fired anyways. What a great reason for an employer to get rid of an employee they not really need or want to get rid of in the first place. My case closed on this issue.

You are going on the assumption that all employers are warm and fuzzy. Some will even fire a good employee because that's the way they operate. I worked for one of them in the 80's, and saw several good employees let go along with the bad ones after a case of the flu swept through the office.

Sewage probloem Im sorry you all find this offensive, but I would just get a cup, bag or something go in that and dump overboard in my balcony stateroom lol I rather do that than have the toilet full.

And take the risk that it will blow back into someone else's cabin through the balcony door?

I do know being 150 miles out I would have cell phone service, probably roaming but would have access.

Don't count on that. I had intermittent cell service along the coast of Italy last year, if we were close enough I picked up the local carrier, but a few hundred feet made the difference.

Could you explain how you know this?

I wonder what he meant by strings attached? Also, what can't they afford? If passengers bought and paid for everything for this cruise, how can they not afford a free cruise in the future and getting their money back for the one they are on?

With provisions from both Elation and Liberty this afternoon they should be more comfortable.

Fore bathroom service looks like it is up and aft being worked on to restore. Transfer of a dialysis patient to Liberty to be taken to Cozumel this afternoon. Coast guard updates may continue to give available accurate information. Having freshwater system working will also help morale.

Where do you find coast gaurd updates?

when you can't work due to a car accident, the car insurance will reimburse you for lost pay.

This was a ship accident even though it was a fire and travel insurance or the cruiseline, yes, should pay for lost wages.

That's my reasoning. I doubt travel insurance will cover this loss. The cruise line should. Hopefully they will do the right thing and no one will have to fight for actual monetary losses.

i have never ever said i am giving carnival a free pass. and i am not a carnival cheerleader. i have cruised them less than most other lines. i am on the board now because my next cruise is with carnival and then i will move on to another board). i am just saying that people who are condemning AT THIS POINT IN TIME without all the relevant facts are missing the boat.

if i were on the ship i would be very, very upset at having my vacation interrupted and my plans disrupted.

if it comes out, and it will if it is true, that the fire was a result of a missed maintenance issue then i will climb on the carnival is the culprit bandwagon. until then i will wait and see.

Ok, I can respect that.

Now I ask you to respect that some folks feel Carnival is responsible b/c a mechanical failure is in theory within the cruise line's control. In particular there is a reasonable suspicion of fault b/c of the ongoing mechanical issues with Triumph since December.

The next few days will undoubtedly bring greater clarity as to the situation onboard, and my prayers and good wishes go to all who are affected. But we may never know more regarding the mechanical issues than we do now.

I read in the news that they are canelling her next two cruises, so you should be fine for your cruise in 50 days.

Given the speed Carnivals attempts to fix their problems, it is likley THIS particular issue will be kinda fixed.

However, the cycle of...broken, kinda fix it, broke again, kinda fix it, broken again.....etc.....

You never know what part of this cycle you'll be caught. That ship could break down and be kinda fixed a few more times within this 50-days.

One thing is certain, Carnivals predictive maintenance program is far from being an industry leader.

Found this pic on Twitter, hope the link will come thru ok. It doesn't really provide any new info, but it is an eyewitnesses account.

RT @zzcrawfish @carnival triumph as she looked last night when @carnival elation was assisting#onboard #nola http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BC1PXP3CcAAGME5.jpg

If link doesn't work, remove the spaces

http:// pbs. twimg. com/ media/ BC1PXP3CcAAGME5.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

For me personally....its a cruise in early February its not hot, can be comfortable without ac this time of year, I would have balcony stateroom so open my door it be very nice, extra days on the ship/at sea and cruise fair returned or credit back I be very happy.

Balcony staterooms are out of bounds, passengers are all in public areas.

That might be wishful thinking on Carnival's part. I don't remember the details but after the Splendor fire didn't they also just cancel the next two cruises immediately? It spent quite a few weeks here in San Diego before towing it to San Francisco for repairs. Someone else stated repair yards can be heavily booked.

You may be right, but that's just what I read on the news. I will say, it would certainly be in Carnival's best interest to get her fixed as soon as possible. Cancelling the next two sailings would be bad enough, let alone the next few month's of sailings. What an incovenience for anyone planned to sail on her during her down time. We're sailing on the Breeze in April, and I couldn't imagine being cancelled on our honeymoon cruise. I feel real bad for all of the people on the Triumph now, and all the people who will be cancelled in upcoming cruises. Thanks God no one was injured, though...

With provisions from both Elation and Legend this afternoon they should be more comfortable.

Fore bathroom service looks like it is up and aft being worked on to restore. Transfer of a dialysis patient to Legend to be taken to Cozumel this afternoon. Coast guard updates may continue to give available accurate information. Having freshwater system working will also help morale.

With provisions from both Elation and Liberty this afternoon they should be more comfortable.

Fore bathroom service looks like it is up and aft being worked on to restore. Transfer of a dialysis patient to Liberty to be taken to Cozumel this afternoon. Coast guard updates may continue to give available accurate information. Having freshwater system working will also help morale.

Good news. I wonder how this is affecting the schedules of the other ships and what Carnival is doing to appease the passengers on board who will most likely miss ports.

There will be. There's something called an alternative verification process they can use on arrival if they don't have a passport to scan, but have other ID, they just need permission to use it, which I don't think will be a problem. The bigger issues will be those without the proper ID at all who may have gotten on board, there are probably a few who have a non-original birth certificate for some reason or an expired DL, etc. Those folks may take a lot longer to clear in.

There's also the issue of Mexican customs for arrival, but they don't strike me as hard liners.

Oddly enough, its still a minor news story on CNN and I don't even see it on MSNBC's web site, but then again, there's a lot of big news today.

I think CBP reports directly to DHS. I could be wrong. Either way, they aren't just going to allow 2000 people without passports to reenter the US without some hoops to jump through.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/02/11/carnival-cruise-triumph-fire/1908883/

UPDATE, 9:45 am ET: A Carnival Triumph passenger in need of dialysis will be transferred off the ship later today to another Carnival vessel, according to a U.S. Coast Guard spokesperson. Petty Officer 3rd Class Richard Brahm tells USA TODAY the Carnival Legend will arrive on the scene this afternoon and bring the passenger to Cozumel, Mexico. Brahm also reports that the Triumph's freshwater system has been restored, and the sewage system has been restored at the front end of the ship. The Coast Guard Cutter Vigorous arrived on the scene during the night.

OHHH can you post a picture please. I am imagining a two-story house with steps leading up to a big wrap around porch with swings and rockers. Am I right?

No photos available she spends all her money on maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

Could you explain how you know this?

It's not a "Free--all costs covered" future cruise.

It's a we'll pick up the cruise fare future cruise. The passenger would still be responsible for getting to the port--which for some could cost thousands of dollars--gratuities, shore excursions, pet care, car parking, etc. For people who scrimped and saved for years to afford to cruise (and there are many that do) they very likely will be in no position to take another cruise. It's also unclear if CCL is picking up taxes and port charges, which can also add up to a tidy sum.

Archived