Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Per the Coast Guard, via USA Today:

A dialysis passenger is being transferred off the ship to the Carnival Legend to be transported to Cozumel.

Freshwater production is back on line (to what extent not noted) and the sewage system is back on line in the front end of the ship (also to what extent not noted)

Unconfirmed reports from other sources indicate engineers may have come over from the Elation to assist (would make sense).

So at least at first blush the situation is a marked improvement over the Splendor, partially due to the providence of having other Carnival ships in the area. (Side note as regards financial impact, passengers on the other 2 ships are also having itinerary disruptions.)

ducklite, I also would say if the employee was valuable, a caring company/place to work for or one that wants to keep that employee, that person wouldn't been fired anyways. What a great reason for an employer to get rid of an employee they not really need or want to get rid of in the first place. My case closed on this issue.

Sewage probloem Im sorry you all find this offensive, but I would just get a cup, bag or something go in that and dump overboard in my balcony stateroom lol I rather do that than have the toilet full.

I do know being 150 miles out I would have cell phone service, probably roaming but would have access.

Again you continue to miss the fact that by all reports, passengers are not allowed back in their stateroom and must stay in public areas. But you would happily go in a bag or cup and dump your waste over the side of the ship. Oy vey

And if by some chance you were allowed back in your room to do this and you dumped it over the side of your balcony, you do realize you are dumping your crap on the people below you

i quoted your post word for word

no back tracking allowed:):):)

you might have quoted me but you failed to look at the post I was talking about. I quoted the piece I was referring to. No backtracking needed. go look again please.

and its really not that serious... my comments are still true and valid...

I guess we will see if anyone had any delays or issues that did not have a passport.

I have to say how can you blame Carnival? The Triumph is not a new ship we sailed on her two years ago and loved it. We were on the Princess and at 10:30 pm the fire alarm went off, half way between LA and Hawaii. Luckly, it was not major and we never lost power. It can happen to any ship no matter how old or how new.

Ok, I can respect that.

Now I ask you to respect that some folks feel Carnival is responsible b/c a mechanical failure is in theory within the cruise line's control. In particular there is a reasonable suspicion of fault b/c of the ongoing mechanical issues with Triumph since December.

I work for the airlines, and the ONE time when we will reimburse you, give you a hotel, and food vouchers will be because of mechanical issues. I wouldn't expect Carnival to be any different.

Stock is inching down.

. Think of the cost of 3100 pax. x the cost of 2 cruises + the cost of lost shipboard revenue + the costs of transporting those pax. back home on chartered transportation.

. Not to mention cost of moving a ship that size across open ocean with no propulsion of its own, or the cost of repairs, or the revenue lost from the ship being out of commision for at least 2 cycles.

. This will cost CCL A LOT OF MONEY

Not nearly what the Concordia disaster did. Shareholder confidence in the parent company will decline as they experience one after another financially catastrophic events. Their insurance premiums will climb which will affect their bottom line as well.

So for the Cell phone to work, don't you need a tower/contact point? in the middle of the ocean/gulf, I don't know where that would be from, besides the ships tower.

Maybe it works, maybe not.

I know that when we were on the Splendor in December, my phone did not work when out at sea and I was on Global Roaming, it would try to connect to the ship tower/signal but I would get a message asking for approval of charges in a text. When I said no, the signal went away shortly after.

So again, how are they making calls?

They were only able to make calls when the Elation pulled alongside and transferred supplies, they were able to use the Elation cell tower.

I, for one, am praying for all those onboard, and their families that are worried about them. Also praying for those killed/injured during the lifeboat drill, and their families.

Well said..it would be scarey for me and my inside cabin as a often solo passenger.....uncomfortable, with a mixed sense of so glad I am ok carrey my meds that are not yet too complicated and simply doing the best one can do with their purse, hand sanitizer...personal wipes, meds, eating very light, and "going" the best way possible...and praying that there are others on there able to shift all the discomfort and fear to as positive and safe and "we are getting out of this" and constructive getting through as possible...good wonderful friends can be made in situations like this...i have a special prayer for those traveling alone...looking forward to their safe debark with their belongings and lives and hopefully feelings of growing coping skills with good people...Sarah

Bummer, Carnival has bad luck near Mexico. If memory serves me correct I recall at least 2 other Carnival mishaps in the Gulf or near Mexico in the last few years. I'll never forget that laundry room fire 10 years ago shortly after leaving Florida.

How many ships do they have sailing in that area? Most of their fleet is there, so when things DO happen they are most likely to happen in that area where most of their ships are located.

2 of my Co-Workers families were on the Splendor that had the fire. They both said they still enjoyed there experiance. The bars were opened up for free drinks. The food was plentiful and good. (NO SPAM) Also they were let back in to their cabins and they spent most of the cruise on their balcony. Carnival paid for everything and since they had driven in from Salt Lake City, they were able to stay at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas for free. I was on the Splendor about a month after it was put back in to service and it was an awesome cruise. My Co-Workers took a "FREE" & day cruise 6 mo later! so to them it was all good.

I'm sorry but I am beginning to think that the Ship that went down in Italy last year (Carnival Corp owns it) they have been paying out so much that they have really cut back on their ships.

I can understand one ship but it is a constant thing happening. 2 engine problems, 1 boat hitting the pier.

Not hearing continuous things happening to the other cruise ships.

I am sure that ship went down is costing Carnival billions. So they intice us to go on their boats for 2.0 fun, Guy burgers but all the other things they are cutting back.

Because we are helping to pay their dept they are having us pay. I am so weary of our cruise next week. We are going to Cozumel and allot of this is happening in Cozumel..

There will be. There's something called an alternative verification process they can use on arrival if they don't have a passport to scan, but have other ID, they just need permission to use it, which I don't think will be a problem. The bigger issues will be those without the proper ID at all who may have gotten on board, there are probably a few who have a non-original birth certificate for some reason or an expired DL, etc. Those folks may take a lot longer to clear in.

There's also the issue of Mexican customs for arrival, but they don't strike me as hard liners.

Oddly enough, its still a minor news story on CNN and I don't even see it on MSNBC's web site, but then again, there's a lot of big news today.

The main news today is about the Pope resigning at the end of this month;)

Again you continue to miss the fact that by all reports, passengers are not allowed back in their stateroom and must stay in public areas. But you would happily go in a bag or cup and dump your waste over the side of the ship. Oy vey

This person keeps commenting the same type of stuff, and clearly there is nothing anyone can say to convince her that being on the Triumph right now would be anything but 4 extra free vacation days of relaxing fun and non-stop enjoyment.

I'd rather be on a "dead" cruise ship in the Carribbean than at work any day!:D

You obviously have not been adrift at sea without power and facilities. I have several years ago on the Carnival Liberty for 14 hours. It is NOT a fun time. I feel for these people who are stuck for 4 days in these horrible conditions

I wonder what he meant by strings attached? Also, what can't they afford? If passengers bought and paid for everything for this cruise, how can they not afford a free cruise in the future and getting their money back for the one they are on?

As to the strings attached comment, the cruise will need to be booked and taken within a certain amount of time. Some people might not be able to get the time off from work, others might not be able to afford to travel to the port.

The base cost of the cruise is only part of the cost of vacation. Some people don't get paid vacation, so taking time off for another cruise would mean no pay for a week. People will still need to pay for pet care, child care or any number of other items.

There is no such thing as a "free cruise."

Ok, I can respect that.

Now I ask you to respect that some folks feel Carnival is responsible b/c a mechanical failure is in theory within the cruise line's control. In particular there is a reasonable suspicion of fault b/c of the ongoing mechanical issues with Triumph since December.

The next few days will undoubtedly bring greater clarity as to the situation onboard, and my prayers and good wishes go to all who are affected. But we may never know more regarding the mechanical issues than we do now.

I have no idea what happened in this case an neither do you, but mechanical problems can and do happen without warning. To say this was within carnivals control is just a careless assumption on your part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main news today is about the Pope resigning at the end of this month;)

A lot of catholics must work for Carnival because the Pope is saving the day for them.:)

A stuck cruise ship is something that can get the media into an outright feeding frenzy.

ducklite, I also would say if the employee was valuable, a caring company/place to work for or one that wants to keep that employee, that person wouldn't been fired anyways. What a great reason for an employer to get rid of an employee they not really need or want to get rid of in the first place. My case closed on this issue.

Sewage probloem Im sorry you all find this offensive, but I would just get a cup, bag or something go in that and dump overboard in my balcony stateroom lol I rather do that than have the toilet full.

I do know being 150 miles out I would have cell phone service, probably roaming but would have access.

i agree-:o,a bucket at every stall, should do the job, thats what we do in the wintertime when we visit the cottage,

I think they needed to be fair. After experiencing this on another ship recently. Magic hitting the pier in Cozumel last week.

If they didn't pay out great to the passengers on the ship. Other people would start to doubt the finance situation of the company.

Sorry but they are paying Millions for that ship off of Italy. They maybe a large Cruise line but what I have been reading there is more and more negative being projected after cruises on this board then positive.

This person keeps commenting the same type of stuff, and clearly there is nothing anyone can say to convince her that being on the Triumph right now would be anything but 4 extra free vacation days of relaxing fun and non-stop enjoyment.

What exactly are you trying to say?

Are you saying that you believe that they are having 4 days of a wonderful fun time?

Please be clear if you are serious or scarcastic.

You obviously have not been adrift at sea without power and facilities. I have several years ago on the Carnival Liberty for 14 hours. It is NOT a fun time. I feel for these people who are stuck for 4 days in these horrible conditions

To me, it sounds like a nightmare. Limited toilets, no showers, can't go to your private cabins, none to very limited power, no a/c, etc.

Not the way I'd want to spend a vacation...

I work for the airlines, and the ONE time when we will reimburse you, give you a hotel, and food vouchers will be because of mechanical issues. I wouldn't expect Carnival to be any different.

They'll also provide vouchers for food and lodging to their top tier elites--usually without even being asked. They are quiet about it because they don't want to cause an uproar as they send their million miler to a comfy hotel room for the night while the rest of the passengers sleep on the terminal floor. I know this from first hand experience.

It's not a "Free--all costs covered" future cruise.

It's a we'll pick up the cruise fare future cruise. The passenger would still be responsible for getting to the port--which for some could cost thousands of dollars--gratuities, shore excursions, pet care, car parking, etc. For people who scrimped and saved for years to afford to cruise (and there are many that do) they very likely will be in no position to take another cruise. It's also unclear if CCL is picking up taxes and port charges, which can also add up to a tidy sum.

So you are speculating and with the full refund and other charges being picked up by Carnival, this cruise isn't going to cost passengers all that much.

Archived