Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

WE are scheduled to be on that boat in 4 weeks.. There is no way I want to be on that ship for health reasons.

What are our options?:mad::mad::mad:

They are allowing cancellations on Triumph cruises through the March 16, 2013 cruise without penalty. The details/information are posted on Carnival's forums.

...as for getting on an airplane, I wouldn't want to if I was getting off the ship. An enclosed airplane cabin after all that, no thanks! Give me a bus with windows that open!!!

We are scheduled to be on it in two weeks. I'm still hoping that by some miracle it is fixed by then. I have seen how efficient the crews are at cleaning up nasty messes and have no concerns about that aspect. It is the mechanical issues that could take longer.

We were two weeks away from our feb25 cruise. Call and got full refund and no penalities. We are now on the norwegian star for feb 23rd.

Again, nicely stated. I have been at work for the past 8 hours and it is time to catch back up. It is now time to see what was missed.

we have no way of knowing if second hand reports are valid, or even truthful. and, not to sound insensitive, a second by second, minute by minute account of what is happening onboard would be of what service to family members not on the ship?

the facts are pretty simple and no amount of embellishment will change them: the triumph is dead in the water due to a fire on board. electrical power in the way of auxiliary power is miniscule at best and is probably being used for essential services like emergency lighting and communication equipment for the bridge. non-perishable food is available and is being replenished by other ships. (having lived through a major power outage this ends up being fruits, raw vegetables, bread products, water, peanut butter, crackers, processed cheese). passengers and crew with major health problems are being seen to and evacuated by air-lift if necessary. sanitation is an issue and people are being asked to abide by certain restrictions (though many won't lower their sensibilities and will cause problems to non-working systems). the boat is either being prepared for tugging into mobile or is underway. its probably a 200+ mile trek at 3 or 4 miles per hour, hence 50 hours.

now, what kind of updates should be coming from the ship and passed on to emergency contacts? it isn't like they can hand a phone to someone's loved one to ensure that they are hunky-dorey (which they probably aren't).

Individual cruise lines get to require whatever documents they want, as long as they *at least* meet minimal state department and DHS standards.

Again- I direct you to

Carnival certainly has the right and the power to require passports, and some would argue- a responsibility given what *could* go wrong.

Not sure which Carnival cruiser sail those lines.

And sure they could. At a customer loss.

They wouldn't need 3000 rooms, only as many as there are cabins on the ship.

How would they devide it.

The suite Pax would get the 4* hotels

if you have a balcony you would get a 3*

the rest in OV and insides get 2*

So if a transfer of passengers to another cruise shipwas not feasible, why not use the Elation to tow them instead of tugboats. They would be at least twice as fast if not more. The Elation and legend were both there. Oh that's right, I forgot, it would have cost Carnival more money.

They are allowing cancellations on Triumph cruises through the March 16, 2013 cruise without penalty. The details/information are posted on Carnival's forums.

...as for getting on an airplane, I wouldn't want to if I was getting off the ship. An enclosed airplane cabin after all that, no thanks! Give me a bus with windows that open!!!

Motorcoach windows don't open. If you want to sit in a bus with windows that either slide or with T-Tops, you'll have to take a transit style bus, and I can guarantee you that they are not comfortable for more than a typical commute at a time.

I am betting that Carnival found the extra tow charges and inconvienence was cheaper than the fine/fee for getting off the ship in a foreign port and not finishing the closed loop trip to the US.

Starting a cruise uin the USA and ending it in a foreign country is perfectly legal. No fines involved. No fees (for the cruise line) involved.

So if a transfer of passengers to another cruise shipwas not feasible, why not use the Elation to tow them instead of tugboats. They would be at least twice as fast if not more. The Elation and legend were both there. Oh that's right, I forgot, it would have cost Carnival more money.

not a bad thought. not sure of the feasability though.

So the guy they just interviewed on CNN says his wife has had nothing to eat but a peanut butter sandwich and bowl of water in day and half because food is first come first serve , wow this will be another another Black eye for Carnival Corp. anyway you look at it.

So why did she have a bowl of water?

Was it warm water? did she crumble crackers in it? was it a bowl or cup of water?

if it was a bowl of water, and she crumbled crackers in it, or her sandwich, that is a meal, (Sienfeld)

If it is first come first serve, if you are hungry, you will only miss out once. if you miss out more than that, then get there faster. Stop being so polite.

How would another cruise ship tow the Triumph

I guess they will just hook it up to the tow hitch

They aren't equipped to tow a ship both in terms of structure and power.

We just canceled. Were on the feb 25th cruise. No penalities full refund and now have a room on the norwegian star out of new orleans starting feb 23

If you've never been on NCL you may find you like it better. Depends on what you're looking for... NCL is less of a booze cruise but still lots of drinking. Food is better, I believe. I like the party atmosphere of CCL but don't really prefer one over the other.

Archived