Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I'm not sure of the varieties of jumping opportunities there are on the Triumph, but let's say you can get within 50' of the water - that's a five-story drop. You might succeed in killing yourself right there. But if not, I hope you're a really good swimmer. That might not be enough in 6' seas, but maybe. I wouldn't want to do it without my regulator in my mouth, but that's just me. Also - that Coast Guard cutter is a ways away. Lots of time for the current to get you.

If the CG rescued you, they would not be happy with you. AT ALL. Finally, assuming you got on board, you would likely start barfing nonstop. I don't see this plan ending well at all.

I think I'd jump overboard. It seems that being picked up by the USCG and spending a few days on a clean ship with working toilets and hot food, it might be worth the court date. At that point I'd plead temporary insanity. I can't imagine any jury disagreeing.

As was pointed out, Royal C. Has dropped as well. What's you're explanation for that ? Or do you only look for negatives in Carnival ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess you do not invest much. RCL down in sympathy as I am sure investors expect this latest public debacle will dissuade a number of people from cruising so the whole industry will likely suffer

Wasnt there a fire on the Epic as well

Norwegian Epic? The fire was in the french shipyard while it was being built and occurred under suspicious circumstances attributed to labor disputes. Needless to say the newer ships are being built in Germany. I've haven't heard any notable trouble with Epic since it's inauguration.

"Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

You are totally correct..However the Gulf of Mexico is coastal waters and more to the point since the vessel left a US port.and is entering a US port and is carying mostly US citzens, the USCG has only to politi\ly ask permission to come baord..........it would be a brazen vessel Master to say no.

AKK[/quote

I think both sides dont want to get to that point. I would imagine the CG has said just give us a buzz if you need anything.

Ships captains are funny people, but they have trust for each other......kinda like the brotherhood of the sea type of deal. I'll bet the Triumph Captain likes the CG being there, but he know hes in charge. Lets just hope there's no need for anything to change.

Just saw on FOX that another tug is being sent out and they have 25 charter jets in Mobile to fly to Galvenston.

billd

Guess you do not invest much. RCL down in sympathy as I am sure investors expect this latest public debacle will dissuade a number of people from cruising so the whole industry will likely suffer

Is that a fact ? Or is that you're " spinmeister " mentality coming out once again ?

They just had a repair to a problem that occurred a few weeks ago. Whenever you do something to a system (anywhere from purchase to repair), you are at a higher risk for a failure EARLY in its lifecycle. It's pretty standard among those of us who have studies reliability theory-- just google "bathtub curve." This is why everything you buy has a warranty associated with it that lasts through the time in which it would be most likely to fail.

In my opinion as an engineer, it's likely that the failure was directly related to the recent maintenance. Even though they tested everything and it checked out ok, something still could have broken with any new parts that they installed. Things like this are expected in the operation of machines.

That said, an investigation could still lay blame on the design of the redundant systems. Ships need to be designed in such a way to minimize damage from a fire, and for some reason the fire did more damage than most here think possible.

Carnival Cruise Lines does not own Costs Cruises. So lumping them together hardly seems reasonable.

Ummm...

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-index

Carnival Corportion and PLC owns

Carnival, Costa, Princess, Holland, others and makes up 50% of the worlds cruise line fleet.

"Carnival Corporation & plc is a global cruise company and one of the largest vacation companies in the world. Our portfolio of leading cruise brands includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn in North America; P&O Cruises (UK), and Cunard in the United Kingdom; AIDA Cruises in Germany; Costa Cruises in Southern Europe; Iberocruceros in Spain; and P&O Cruises (Australia) in Australia."

...and of course good old wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Corporation_%26_plc

"The constituent corporation and plc are separate listed companies and have different shareholder bodies, but they jointly own all the operating companies in the group."

I'm not aware of any reports on the extent of contaminated areas. If you have a link that would be useful.

Look around and read instead of trying to deny the information that is out there - lots of news stories and other reports on these and other sites

And then also ask yourself also why else are they taking the ship out of service til mid-April. Carnival knows how bad the conditions are - shoot their own press release yesterday referred to "RAPIDLY DETERIORATING CONDITIONS ONBOARD"

Update on Carnival Triumph February 13, 2013 – 2:30pm EST

We are mobilizing approximately 200 people to be on the ground in Mobile to support the Carnival Triumph’s arrival and guests’ travel home.

We are currently finalizing travel arrangements for guests from Mobile.

Carnival Triumph guests were given the option of boarding buses directly to Galveston or Houston, Texas, or to spend the night in a hotel in New Orleans, where they could rest before flying out on private charters the next day.
Carnival will cover all travel related and incidental expenses.

Carnival has reserved and arranged the following: approximately 100 motor coaches; more than
1,500 New Orleans hotel rooms
; multiple charter flights from New Orleans to Houston on Friday; and transportation from Houston to the Port of Galveston so that guests may retrieve their cars if they drove to the port.

There are 3,143 guests and 1,086 crew on board.

Upcoming Voyages

Carnival Cruise Lines has also announced the cancellations of 12 additional voyages of the Carnival Triumph. The 12 cancelled cruises, which encompass sailings from Feb. 21 through April 13, 2013, are in addition to two previously cancelled voyages scheduled to depart Feb. 11 and Feb. 16.

I would think most would want to stay in a CLEAN hotel and SHOWER before heading back home. :rolleyes:

Anyway I hope you're right to some extent as I'd love to pick up stock around $20.

Effect on stock earnings per Carnival:

MIAMI, Feb. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) estimates that the total impact from voyage disruptions and related repair costs will result in an $0.08 to $0.10 earnings per share reduction in the company's 2013 first half.

In the past several weeks leading up to this event, RCL has had its own mess of issues. RCL recently was downgraded from buy to hold after posting less than desirable ROE's and Net Income. (Ratings based on TheStreet)

I was getting ready for a trip across the desert. The day before, my battery light came on. Rather than take off across the desert, I postponed my trip until I could get the alternator replaced. By doing so, I lost some time, but I also did not put my family at risk of a breakdown in the middle of the Mojave desert where help was far away.

Every car has an alternator, and it is a mechanical part that goes bad regardless of what maintenance I do, but when indications were that it could fail and endanger me and my family, I took the time to fix it.

That is very responsible of you to be sure. However, lets suppose that unrealated to the alternator you had a water pump go out as you traversed the desert, both items are in the engine room ( under the hood) yet unrelated in what they do, both would cause you to be stranded. As some on here would suggest, you should have been proactive and assumed the water pump would fail, or any other mechanical part on your auto. The issue with the Triumph may or may not be related to the past problem...the only thing we know for certain is that it is being towed to Mobile AL, whether there was negligence or not will be found out in the future.

Clearly by your response you don't invest much and have no idea how the stock market works and what impacts movement of stocks

I know how it works, I'm just asking you to show me where you seen that as fact. Right now you are just assuming. Looks like Someone else posted other reasons as to their drop

Who said they were not thankful? Heck, I'm thankful that the fire was put out quickly. However, let's be perectly clear that it was likely the fire suppression system that extingushed the fire. The news media, for the most part, is uninformed, and has no idea how cruise ships function. However, there have been enough first hand accounts for me to determine that there is currently a very challenging situation onboard for both guests and crew. Unlike you, I don't have enough information to know that it is being dealt with the best way it can. What I know is that this ship has been adrift without power and unable to consistently provide for many of life's necessities for 72 hours now.

Exactly! Re-Read what I said. I did not say that no one was not THANKFUL. I too am very THANKFUL that it was put out. I said they should be thankful. BIG DIFFERENCE!! And you have no idea what I know and do not know!:D Now we can all agree to disagree. Happy sailing.

How were gift shop, and other purchases, handled on the Splendor - when that ship had the nation's attention... similarly? For some reason I thought that more charges were forgiven, but I could be mistaken.

Tom

All gift shop spending was excused (someone had bought a ring that they got for free). But it was the first night of the voyage, instead of closer to the end... (I assume both were factors in the decision this time).

that is very responsible of you to be sure. However, lets suppose that unrealated to the alternator you had a water pump go out as you traversed the desert, both items are in the engine room ( under the hood) yet unrelated in what they do, both would cause you to be stranded. As some on here would suggest, you should have been proactive and assumed the water pump would fail, or any other mechanical part on your auto. The issue with the triumph may or may not be related to the past problem...the only thing we know for certain is that it is being towed to mobile al, whether there was negligence or not will be found out in the future.

amen!

Just got done watching Fox news. It wasn't good for you Carnival, you really got some very, very bad PR. Also your stock is down 4.75% and dropping. Hey, I'm still gonna cruise with you but I feel that many people, who watched the Fox news story, who were undecided about going on a cruise with you or any other cruise line just ain't gonna do it.

Archived