Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

One thing is clear in this whole mess. The cruise industry (not just CCL) is not prepared to handle these situations when they occur on ships with all these people.

I think that the cruise industry should be forced to come up with a plan just like the airlines were for tarmac delays.

Still really bothering me that people are describing conditions are "deplorable" and "unbearable". Please people, these folks are on a cruise boat that is probably cleaner than most folks homes. Cold sandwiches and a few days without a shower do not constitute deplorable conditions. Go to Africa and watch a young child drink fecal infested water and sleeping on a dirt floor day in and day out. Now that is deplorable. To the OP that stated his wife was on board and hurt her back. I'm sorry that she got hurt, but if she slipped and fell on the ship and there were no other problems it would be a non issue. People slip and fall all the time on a cruise boat. The decks get wet when it rains or when they are cleaned. Sick of the media blowing this out of proportion....

Maybe cleaner than your home, I don't have feces soaked into my carpets. If the passengers wanted to go to Africa and sleep in the dirt, they wouldn't have booked a cruise.

Well, that's a load of **it, too.

Nothing like a drama-mama wanting to get attention for posting a bunch of hyperbole.

She might want to LOOK at the pics coming off of the ship showing LOTS of people on the decks.

Why am I not surprised that she "watched"...........

I quoted a previous post and it was not attached. I was not able to edit my post, so I'm re-posting with the blog I was referencing:

http://deadspin.com/5984377/stranded-carnival-cruise-ships-toilets-are-so-full-of-****-they-are-falling-off-the-walls-and-other-gross-details-from-someone-aboard

I don't think writing on the sheets, robes, or any other fabric is a problem under these circumstances. I'm quite certain that every soft furnishing on that ship has reached the end of the road and is destined for the incinerator or the landfill.

Fourth call from my wife:

1. My wife went on this cruise with a bunch of her Jazzercise friends. This morning one of them was airlifted off the ship due to a stroke. I saw this on CNN earlier but I thought they were lowering supplies down.

2. She has already cleared customs. They are calling each level one at a time to go through customs.

3. The smell has gotten extremely worse over the past 8 hours.

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's friend. :( I hope she makes a full recovery.

Yes, the boards are running very slow.

Fourth call from my wife:

1. My wife went on this cruise with a bunch of her Jazzercise friends. This morning one of them was airlifted off the ship due to a stroke. I saw this on CNN earlier but I thought they were lowering supplies down.

2. She has already cleared customs. They are calling each level one at a time to go through customs.

3. The smell has gotten extremely worse over the past 8 hours.

That last one is interesting. I wonder if Carnival was dumping some of the sewage system, which is legal outside the 12 mile limit. Or, everyone who had been holding it just gave in today since they will be off the boat soon.

Hopefully your wife's friend will be doing ok. I'm a little surprised there has not had to be a few more folks airlifted.

Which cruiseline do you sail? RCCL?

The fact that you think that matters goes to the high school mentality here.

Did you have to live in NYC to care about 9-11? Did you have to be a Costa cruiser to feel the pain of that Mother who lost her little girl?

You are talking about this like we are rooting for different Super Bowl teams. All that I am concerned with is what is happening to those PASSENGERS...because that could be my child crying into the phone, or my mother breaking her hip, or my son and wife, the unlucky newlyweds.

This could be ANY cruise line and if they made the same decision to bus these exhausted people after this ordeal...I would post just as critically. Cruise lines are nothing to me but vacation providers. They only matter to me in how they provide that service. I have no "loyalty" only to family, friends, and the empathy I owe other people. Ot is juvenile in my opinion, to be so besotted with a corporation, that you other humans just to show you are a "loyal customer."

Do you think the food miraculously got better because they got food dropped off that wasn't spoiled and as passengers said, they got some grills working and they could COOK the food? Do you think that maybe there is some more cleaning going on because they got water back and that more supplies were dropped off? How fast do you think they went through cleaning supplies the first couple days especially without water? Even one of the passengers who described bad conditions said the crew had been cleaning all along as best they could and were working 20 hours a day constantly cleaning rails, staying in the restrooms to keep cleaning, etc.

Pick and choose.

Horrible situation for many, bearable for others but there is no doubt the media and some here are sensationalizing every single thing.

OMG, more logic!!!! Love it! Thank you!

Thank you for your insight, Travelgrrl, as well as mostly everyone else on here. I refuse to watch the mainstream mediots, don't even own a TV.

Re: bolded --

That's why I registered, to utilise the "ignore" function.

I won't clog the thread up anymore -- just wanted to thank y'all.

Heavens, I hope you didn't think I meant you! :(

This incident has been mishandled from the get-go. :mad: Carnival has sworn allegiance to the almighty dollar and ALL the decisions were done with that deity in mind. People have not only a 'story' to tell......but a list of possible medical/emotional/physical complications as yet unknown to them. This company is NOT an ethical one....... It would be interesting if the correspondence with Miami was available to the public regarding the deicison to drag the ship home......more people than you realize have medical 'conditions' and what the last few days have done is not good for anyone! Thank god, those passengers will (hopefully) be able to leave this ship soon......I've traveled on some of CCL's other lines.....but honestly I've seen more than enough. If I want to be on the water.....it won't be through CCL's lineage. :mad: Yes, I hope someone from CCL is reading this...........I'll be sharing the same comments with associates who share my love of travel.

I probably could survive the ordeal without too much crying and screaming, but there is NO WAY I would accept getting on a crowded bus for a 2 hour drive to New Orleans. I'd be demanding a cheap hotel room, any hotel room with a hot shower right in Mobile (if that's where this poor shipload actually arrives). I can't imagine what they were thinking that people would willingly crowd onto buses even for 2 more hours to get to a shower.

The Coast Guard delivered ONE generator to the ship to help in addition to the one emergency generator on board.

Power has to go first to life/safety, critical systems, and then they would try to run a refrigerator or two... would need a looooong extension cord to run a vacuum cleaner very far! I think I saw that they managed to get a little power out for passengers to charge phones.

One of the passengers said in an interview that they had managed to get a grill working and make chicken for dinner last night. I hope everyoen who wanted some was able to get some.

Four to five hours to disembark Triumph sounds correct for Mobile. Can move a little faster without dealing with customs but everyone carrying their bags will take a lot of time. I had one of the last zones when I was on Elation and it was about 2.5 hours from time to start to finish. That is not going to be a fun process. Mobile also has a long gangway. Just hope the tempers don't fly in that line. I could see some people getting very frustrated.

I agree that it's going to take a lot of time. Because people need to manage their own bags I'll bet it takes six hours if not longer. Very few people pack light enough to easily move their bags up or down stairs.

SO how do I find that info

Or do I want to know :o

If you look at the main Carnival board where it shows the different threads, to the right of each thread title is a number. That number is the number of replies to each individual thread.

Click on that number and a box should pop up with all the posters in the thread and how many times they've posted.

And now I just added one more to my count. :o

I probably could survive the ordeal without too much crying and screaming, but there is NO WAY I would accept getting on a crowded bus for a 2 hour drive to New Orleans. I'd be demanding a cheap hotel room, any hotel room with a hot shower right in Mobile (if that's where this poor shipload actually arrives). I can't imagine what they were thinking that people would willingly crowd onto buses even for 2 more hours to get to a shower.

There are not enough rooms to accommodate all passengers.

Its not a story - its facts from at least 4 different passengers onboard. But don't let that stop you from shaking your pom-poms

Seriously, you should read what you type before you reply:

Interview with passenger onboard on CNN now

Says conditions magically and dramatically improved today after word came that the US Coast Guard and the Nation Transportation Safety Board were sending people aboard the ship

I said of course, they dropped new supplies. This was done PRIOR to anyone boarding, from the live feed from the Gospel Network that everyone quotes here, CNN.

Are you trying to imply that the crew was slacking on basic cleaning until they heard they were getting close to docking and that Customs and Coast Guard was about to board? Please point me to the link where NTSB supposedly are onboard.

Oh, and I have no pom poms - quite frankly I haven't sailed CCL in years, I'm just a level minded person who believes in hearing all of the facts.

Finally home from work so I can try to get caught up on this. I'm watching CNN now, with their worst case scenario guests being interviewed. I'm not saying it's not a horrible situation but for someone to go on CNN and say this happens frequently is a bit of a stretch. It won't keep me from cruising, although I can certainly understand why anyone on this ship would be looking at land based vacations for the foreseeable future.

I saw the pictures some people have posted online and it really does look like an awful situation :( Hopefully the injuries and illnesses are at a minimum, no more than on a "normal" cruise.

I would likely flip Carnival off, and go find my own way home... Already missing work, might as well get a night of sleep in Mobile (or as close to it as possible)

Archived