Balcony snob tries an inside promenade - Navigator 2/02 - 2/09

lhall85917

DH and I are confirmed balcony snobs; however, the desire to cruise and the size of our wallet brought us to try an an inside promenade for a last minute trip. We booked about 3 weeks out when a nice sale was running for the promenade rooms. There were three rooms available on deck 6, none on 7 or 8 so we had to take the best of those options. I called Royal Caribbean reservations because I was having a hard time figuring out what was located directly under each of the cabins, specifically asking about 6577. We were concerned that it was over the pub, but the agent assured us it was over the boutique so that is what we booked.

Well...our suspicions were correct, we ended up directly over the pub. It was generally quiet except from about 9 or 10 to midnight or after each night. We could hear the playing of live music clearly, luckily we are good sleepers and although we didn't care for it, it didn't ruin our trip. I had to laugh one night when i woke up to hear the song Wasted Away in Margaritaville played at around midnight and those listening were chanting "salt, salt, salt!"

Anyway...the room was fine,and it was nice to have a window; however, we have decided we will have to remain balcony snobs at the expense of our pocketbook. I really, really missed seeing the ocean throughout the day. I felt like I was in a very nice hotel, not on the ocean. It is worth a lot to me to get up and go out in the balcony in the morning, sit out during the afternoon, and take one last look before bed. I'm glad we gave it a try, but it takes a little away from our vacation not to be in the kind of room we enjoy.

There have been several excellent Navigator reviews recently so I am going to skip posting a full-blown pictorial review but would be happy to answer questions. For those interested in what to do in ports we did the Cozumel Bar Hop (booked independently), wandered Grand Cayman shopping area, and did the Hearbeat of Jamaica tour from Falmouth. Both tours were excellent, although I didn't like that the bar hop only returned us to the ship with 15 minutes before we had to be onboard, I don't like cutting things that close.

Guest maddycat
DH and I are confirmed balcony snobs; however, the desire to cruise and the size of our wallet brought us to try an an inside promenade for a last minute trip. We booked about 3 weeks out when a nice sale was running for the promenade rooms. There were three rooms available on deck 6, none on 7 or 8 so we had to take the best of those options. I called Royal Caribbean reservations because I was having a hard time figuring out what was located directly under each of the cabins, specifically asking about 6577. We were concerned that it was over the pub, but the agent assured us it was over the boutique so that is what we booked.

Well...our suspicions were correct, we ended up directly over the pub. It was generally quiet except from about 9 or 10 to midnight or after each night. We could hear the playing of live music clearly, luckily we are good sleepers and although we didn't care for it, it didn't ruin our trip. I had to laugh one night when i woke up to hear the song Wasted Away in Margaritaville played at around midnight and those listening were chanting "salt, salt, salt!"

I'm glad that you enjoyed your cruise even though you had to put up with the noise from the pub. It's really a shame that the RCI vacation planners aren't better trained, more familiar with the ships.

I am going on the Indy in 4 weeks and will be in a 7th floor promenade room. I also prefer a balcony but booked this last month for my DD and I at a great price. One benefit though,watching the parades from the room and it's a quick run for a cookie :cool:

Another "balcony snob" here. I was just about to book at cruise of the Southern Caribbean on floor 2 with just a porthole when I read this. Two grand for this room is a lot, but the ship is pretty much sold out. However, I bet we'd feel the same way you did if we went ahead with this booking... Second thoughts here!

Thanks for the review. We are in the midst of deciding between a PR and an OV. I thought your comment about feeling like you were in a nice hotel made a lot of sense. The locations of the PRs sure are nice but I do like to look out and see the ocean. Decisions, decisions.

BTW, I like the picture of your doodle. We also have an apricot (or champagne) labradoodle. He's 6 y.o. and finally started settling down around 5 y.o. He makes us laugh every day so he earns he keep. :)

Another "balcony snob" here. I was just about to book at cruise of the Southern Caribbean on floor 2 with just a porthole when I read this. Two grand for this room is a lot, but the ship is pretty much sold out. However, I bet we'd feel the same way you did if we went ahead with this booking... Second thoughts here!

I don't want to talk you out of a cruise, but for some of us the room location and type is an important part of the experience!

Thanks for the review. We are in the midst of deciding between a PR and an OV. I thought your comment about feeling like you were in a nice hotel made a lot of sense. The locations of the PRs sure are nice but I do like to look out and see the ocean. Decisions, decisions.

BTW, I like the picture of your doodle. We also have an apricot (or champagne) labradoodle. He's 6 y.o. and finally started settling down around 5 y.o. He makes us laugh every day so he earns he keep. :)

:) our doodle is 11 now and weighs 35 lbs! :eek: good luck with your decisions.

I am going on the Indy in 4 weeks and will be in a 7th floor promenade room. I also prefer a balcony but booked this last month for my DD and I at a great price. One benefit though,watching the parades from the room and it's a quick run for a cookie :cool:

I'm sure you will have a great time. I did like watching the parade from the room and not being in the middle of the crowds!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your cruise even though you had to put up with the noise from the pub. It's really a shame that the RCI vacation planners aren't better trained, more familiar with the ships.

Very true, they probably have the same deck plans we can see. It's just hard to place exact locations above and below without first hand knowledge.

Did you have the new menus? I think they were scheduled to begin on your sailing. Thanks!

Yes, we did. Dining service was a little slow the first couple of nights with the roll out of the new menu. The food was all very good, it had been a while since we had been on Royal so I can't really make a comparison between the two.

Yes, we did. Dining service was a little slow the first couple of nights with the roll out of the new menu. The food was all very good, it had been a while since we had been on Royal so I can't really make a comparison between the two.

Thanks for the quick response. We head out on the 16th. Any recommendation on what night for a specialty restaurant?

We're doing a Boardwalk Balcony. We'll see how that works out. At least we'll have a partial ocean view. Anyway, did an outside obstructed view on Carnival Legend years ago. It was last minute 8 night $395 per person. Couldn't pass it up. But it was over the Piano Bar. Your "salt salt salt" comment reminded me. For us it was "Sweet Caroline [bam bam bam]...." So we just decided to go downstairs and enjoy the show. Had a great time in the Piano Bar every night. Now we always finish up in Schooner Bar for a song and a late drink.

Thanks for the quick response. We head out on the 16th. Any recommendation on what night for a specialty restaurant?

I'm sure I am not very good help since I'm a tremendously picky eater. They had prime rib twice - the first night and Thursday, on Thursday they also had lobster. The second night we had a beef tenderloin that was excellent, better than the prime rib. I had the Manhattan strip steak from the classic menu available every night twice and it was also very good. Hopefully you can find someone who has posted the menus so that you can see all of your options.

It's just hard to place exact locations above and below without first hand knowledge.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/decks.php?ship=Navigator%20of%20the%20Seas

Scroll down * click on "Drag ...", then drag the decks of concern on top. Best to align using the elevator/stairs. These plans aren't 100% correct for some ships apparently but I've found they are OK for Voyager class and PR cabins.

We're doing a Boardwalk Balcony. We'll see how that works out. At least we'll have a partial ocean view. Anyway, did an outside obstructed view on Carnival Legend years ago. It was last minute 8 night $395 per person. Couldn't pass it up. But it was over the Piano Bar. Your "salt salt salt" comment reminded me. For us it was "Sweet Caroline [bam bam bam]...." So we just decided to go downstairs and enjoy the show. Had a great time in the Piano Bar every night. Now we always finish up in Schooner Bar for a song and a late drink.

We also did a boardwalk balcony on the Oasis. I liked it fairly well too, but still missed having the ocean outside my door. I think I'm just a spoiled brat, there are many that would love to have either a promenade or boardwalk balcony. :o

It's just hard to place exact locations above and below without first hand knowledge.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/decks.php?ship=Navigator%20of%20the%20Seas

Scroll down * click on "Drag ...", then drag the decks of concern on top. Best to align using the elevator/stairs. These plans aren't 100% correct for some ships apparently but I've found they are OK for Voyager class and PR cabins.

Thanks, that is good to keep handy for the next time. Perhaps if we had booked further out I would have found it sometime with my obsessive planning! I guess I just didn't allow enough time for everything! :p

I was also going to recommend drag it decks - it has saved me a couple of times with rooms that might not have been in the most desirable location. My next cruise I went with an inside GTY (difference of $999pp for the inside and $2700pp for a balcony!) and they placed me right under the "R Bar"... i'm not exactly sure what it is and how loud it will be so I moved to a much quieter looking location :)

For those interested in what to do in ports we did the Cozumel Bar Hop (booked independently), wandered Grand Cayman shopping area, and did the Hearbeat of Jamaica tour from Falmouth. Both tours were excellent, although I didn't like that the bar hop only returned us to the ship with 15 minutes before we had to be onboard, I don't like cutting things that close.

Can you give more information on the Heartbeat of Jamaica tour?

Can you give more information on the Heartbeat of Jamaica tour?

Yes, we drove through the countryside until we arrived at a small school where we were able to observe classrooms of 3 - 6 year olds for a few minutes. As a former teacher, I both liked and disliked this - I loved seeing the beautiful children and their classrooms yet I know how disruptive this is so I felt slightly uncomfortable being there. We then boarded a jitney with our guide and a security guard (:eek:) to travel through the sugar cane and papaya plantation. Our guide was a young girl (late teens, early 20's) and did a fabulous job explaining the farming process and the workings of the plantation. We had the opportunity to plant a papaya tree then finished up at one of the buildings. There we had samples of fruit, different rums, jerk chicken and more. It was about a 3 hour tour and we enjoyed it. We chose this because we had already seen Falmouth and Dunns Falls and were looking for something a little different.

Thanks so much for reviewing a Promenade-view room. It seems that location really does mean something with these cabins regarding noise from below. Did you have any issues with light? I didn't see that you had written about this, but it's getting late and my eyes are tired...

My husband and I also prefer balconies, but I have always wanted to read a candid review of a cabin overlooking the Promenade!! Thank you :)

And, I see that you're from Madison!

Thanks so much for reviewing a Promenade-view room. It seems that location really does mean something with these cabins regarding noise from below. Did you have any issues with light? I didn't see that you had written about this, but it's getting late and my eyes are tired...

My husband and I also prefer balconies, but I have always wanted to read a candid review of a cabin overlooking the Promenade!! Thank you :)

And, I see that you're from Madison!

Hi Huntsville! This was the first time we could drive easily to a cruise, we are looking forward to other cruises from New Orleans in the future. We have only been in Alabama for a couple of years so its nice to know this is an option. Anyway...to answer your question, no problem with light at all. The rooms have a sheer curtain and a heavy, light-blocking drape, it was quite dark with everything closed.

Archived