Thoughts on which would be best...

jude8

We are currently booked on Explorer and debating on switching to the Brillance in light of her dry dock with all of the refurbs. Here are both itineraries. I would love to here folks thoughts on whether we should switch or not.

Brillance

PORTS OF CALL:

Boston, Massachusetts; Portland, Maine; Bar Harbor, Maine; Saint John, New Brunswick; Halifax, Nova Scotia; Boston, Massachusetts

Explorer

PORTS OF CALL:

Quebec City, Quebec; Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island; Corner Brook, Newfoundland; Halifax, Nova Scotia; Bar Harbor, Maine; Portland, Maine; Cape Liberty, New Jersey

Any help would be much appreciated.

We are currently booked on Explorer and debating on switching to the Brillance in light of her dry dock with all of the refurbs. Here are both itineraries. I would love to here folks thoughts on whether we should switch or not.

Brillance

PORTS OF CALL:

Boston, Massachusetts; Portland, Maine; Bar Harbor, Maine; Saint John, New Brunswick; Halifax, Nova Scotia; Boston, Massachusetts

Explorer

PORTS OF CALL:

Quebec City, Quebec; Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island; Corner Brook, Newfoundland; Halifax, Nova Scotia; Bar Harbor, Maine; Portland, Maine; Cape Liberty, New Jersey

Any help would be much appreciated.

Where do you live? Are transportation costs a factor? How many nights is each cruise? What are the cost comparisons?

Way too little data here to give an informed opinion. Not that that will stop SOME people. :rolleyes:

The Radiance class ships are simply beautiful. I love the Explorer, because she was our "first", but I am well aware of her shortcomings vis a vis the recently renovated ships. Explorer's "revitalization" hasn't happened yet.

I love Canadian/New England itineraries. I don't think that you can go "wrong" with either.

But if I could drive to one but had to fly to the other, that would be part of my decision-making.

:)

Stay on Explorer. A much nicer ship !!!!

Is there more to do on Explorer? Sure.

"Much nicer ship"? While I haven't been specifically on Brilliance or Explorer, I have been on both a Radiance class and a couple of Voyager class ships. I would say that Radiance class is a much "Nicer" ship than a first generation Voyager class. The way the ship was designed with all of the glass and sea vantage points is gorgeous. That would be especially lovely on a coastal cruise like the OP is doing.

We live in Orlando, Florida so we will be flying either way. The explorer is a ten day itinerary. And Brillance is seven. We are in our late 30's so I don't know if that makes a difference and the price is about the same.

We live in Orlando, Florida so we will be flying either way. The explorer is a ten day itinerary. And Brillance is seven. We are in our late 30's so I don't know if that makes a difference and the price is about the same.

Given those important variables of 10 nights on Explorer for about the same price of 7 nights on Brilliance, I would personally take the 3 more nights on Explorer.

Being from Nova Scotia and having been to all these ports many many times I can tell you the Explorer wins hands down!

Both ships are great, so that is not a factor to me. The 10 days also wins for me.

However, I can't stress enough how much better the ports are on the Explorer. Quebec City is outstanding and Newfoundland is beautiful. Prince Edward Island is one of my favourite places in the world!

You will enjoy either cruise, but my vote is go with the Explorer. I will try to answer any further questions you might have.

Hey neighbor! :p

Have you been to any of the ports? I love the Radiance Class; not only the Brilliance is slightly newer but also already got the dry-dock. It would also be a better ship for the weather (and this depends when you are going) since it has the covered solarium. The other side is since I've never been to that area I think I'd still choose the Explorer just because of the price, extra time, and the stops.

I guess this turns out to be the same old question: is this a ship/relaxing vacation or itinerary-oriented?

We sailed on Brilliance last August and loved the ship. I can only imagine that she is better post-refurb.

However, if $$ is an issue then 10 days vs. 7 for the same price comes into question. Seems like a no-brainer and I would pick Explorer under those conditions.

BTW, we also like Explorer and would still do the days to value calculation.

This is a similar question that gets asked on the Alaska port of call thread. the Explorer is a one-way cruise. It is particularly good for adding on a post cruise experience. It lets you get the most bang for your airare buck. Your airfare rt to Boston will be less than the airfare to Boston and home from Quebec.

I would take the one way trip. Not only because it is longer and the same price--but, because it allows me to combine a couple of land days afterwards. [or even one day would be worth it.]

I would take Explorer. Better itinerary, longer cruise.

We love Explorer, despite her not being revitalized recently, she is still is well-maintained shape. She's got a service-oriented crew and an awesome CD/activities staff.

BOTH cruises will skew older, passenger-wise.

Being from one of the visited ports on both of these cruises I would pick the Explorer itinerary hands down. Not a lot of Royal cruises go to Newfoundland so that in itself would be a plus. The 10 days for the price of 7 is a no-brainer for me too ;) I love the fact that you have a "free hotel" for a night in Quebec as well before the ship actually leaves.

I contemplated a similar itinerary last year as it would have let me visit a lot of friends & family in all these cities without actually having to travel to them all individually!

Archived