What's the deal with San Juan?

mcgore83

I have read mostly negative posts about this port. Going on the Triumph in a few months, Eastern route. Since we only have 3 ports of call, we would like to get off the ship and do something. How dangerous is this port, worst than Nassau? You guys are great, any info will be appreciated.

I don't know what the negative posters are talking about. I found San Juan to be a charming city, and the people friendly. I'm sure there are parts where you wouldn't want to find yourself after dark but every city has those. We were there two days before boarding the Destiny and really enjoyed it.

The "Old Town" area has great shopping, good restaurants and lots of local cultural events.

If a trip to the Bacardi Distillery is offered I'd skip it. IMHO it wasn't worth the time. You do get several potent drinks though.....

San Juan is gorgeous and very welcoming to cruise passengers. I think the issue many have is the time that they arrive. Most ship dont dock in San Juan until 5pm and leave at midnight, so that cuts down on shore excursion options. There are quite a few night time excursion mentioned on the San Juan port of call board.

Im curious, what danger did you experience in Nassau?

I don't understand that, either. I've been to San Juan twice, and it was wonderful, so much history and beauty. I particularly liked Old San Juan. I haven't heard any negative reports.

Also - Nassau? I've done a dozen land trips there and to Freeport, as well as cruised there a couple of times, and I haven't encountered any problems, nor heard of any.

Where are you reading this stuff?:D

Anywhere you go, there is a certain amount of crime. Common sense dictates that you stay in lighted areas and where the crowd is, no matter what city or island.

I have been two San Juan twice, once on a cruise ship and one on land.

San Juan is a great city.

I think if you are on a cruise ship you cant enjoy it to the fullest since there is so much to see and not enough time.

Sorry to disagree...I've unfortunately be to San Juan too many times to suit me...

We found it DIRTY, the natives unfriendly, and not worth getting off the ship after the 2nd time... Now we are amused listening to the same comments as people come back onboard. Its kinda like watching folks stumble back from the bars in Cozumel...:cool:

Would love to do a Southern Carrib. cruise...but no way I'll start from San Juan....;)

I really like to visit San Juan personally... Been there during the day, evening, overnight, etc.... Loved it each time and tried different stuff each time.... I could see it becoming boring for those that don't venture out of OSJ and go more than twice or so.

I'd recommend visiting the Ports of Call boards here on CC for some great information on what to do and links, etc. to make the most of your stay.

I have been to Nassau four times. Each time my husband was approached to buy drugs. He always responds with a polite "no" and laughs it off, however it scares me! Do not want to end up in a foreign jail. I also dislike the straw market, both the old and new, however Atlantis is wonderful!

I have gathered my information from these boards. Most people do not like San Juan. We will be there from 5:00 until midnight. Just want to get off the ship with my friends and family and have some idea of things we can do while in port.

Again, thanks in advance for your suggestions!

San Juan is one of those place we enjoy for a land trip (long weekend) BUT ... don't enjoy for a port stop.

The evening stops especially don't allow for too many options. Here's a fun bar that's VERY close to the cruise pier in town:

Mini-Review & DIRECTIONS: Senior Frogs (Click Here)

(Posted in Ports of Call under San Juan)

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

When I went to San Juan we hung out at Senor Frogs since the time alloted wasnt enough to do much , I enjoyed the food and you cant beat out watching your cruisemates get drunk... LOL.

Also, in regards to the "Natives" I have never encountered anyone who was unfriendly. ;)

Been to San Juan 4 times!!! LOVE IT we always do a prestay and have been all over. WE have never not felt safe. We always ask the locals wehre to go for dinner and sightseeing and they are quick to tellyou wehre not to go or what to stay away from . WE have never had an unfriedly visit jsut got back On May 15 and did our prestay and the people were fantastic

I have been to San Juan once, and hated it. Now after our cruise next week, I tagged on 4 days in Puerto Rico at the Westin. Not because I love San Juan so much, but purely because I do not want to go home to an empty house (my kids are with the ex).:(

I've been to San Juan twice, once as a port of call and once as the port of embarkation. No, it isn't exactly like home. It's different! There is a lot to see and do just within the Old City itself. Yes, there are dangers (just like in any city) and yes it can seem dirty if you come from a place where everyone keeps their yards trimmed and clean. You have to look beyond these things to really enjoy San Juan. If you have the time to explore the city either before, during or after a cruise, by all means do so! Just remember to use common sense and be aware of your surroundings. It's as safe or safer than some cities here in the U.S. mainland.

I will be on the Triumph in December and with all the negative things I have read, I still decided that we ARE getting off the ship. I have done a lot of research and there are many other things to do. DO some research and check out this post that Is on our ROLL CALL board with many links, excursions for San Juan. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=135583&page=2&pp=25

In addition you will find more info on the ship.

Have you checked the Ports of Call Boards?

Just make sure you do plenty of research and get some feedback from the CC boards before you book anything.

Archived