Dr. Poole in Moorea

ms_shell

I did it 2 years ago while on the PG. It was a fantastic excursion! I learned so much about dolphins, their habitat and behaviors. He does warn that you don't ALWAYS find dolphins, but you do most of the time. After checking a few spots we finally found a pod of spinner dolphins playing and putting on a great display. You also get an opportunity to do a little snorkeling. You do NOT swim with the dolphins. As you learn from Dr. Poole, he does not like the idea of domesticating these wonderful creatures, and prefers to observe them naturally from a distance. He teaches you all about how to help preserve dolphins, even by choosing which tuna to buy. (Don't buy chunk tuna! The fishing method kills dolphins! Buy only solid albacore tuna, that doesn't endanger dolphins...and tastes better too!) I highly recommend the tour. It's very educational and exciting to see and learn about spinner dolphins in their native habitat.

JulieMac

JulieMac gave the same review that I would have. We went about 2 years ago as well... on our land vacation HM in FP. We actually went twice because on the first trip we didn't see dolphins. The dolphins are residents of the waters surrounding Moorea, and Dr. Poole says there usually a 95% chance you will see them. In the off chance you don't (like we didn't) he welcomes you back for free on the next regularly scheduled trip. We had a blast, perhaps one of our favorite excursions while in FP. Go on it, you'll enjoy it! :D

We've done it twice, this second time was last week, and we also did not see any dolphins. It was nevertheless a great boat trip around the island.

It should be noted that there are several pods of spinner dolphins who inhabit the bay in front of the Radisson Plaza hotel in Papeete. So, if you are doing a day-room there or a pre-cruise stay, keep your eyes open.

They have their own website Drmichaelpoole.com , but it has no info about how to book an excursion. I did, however, find the following on another

PO Box 698, 98728 Maharepa- MOOREA, Contact: Dr. Michael POOLE, Telephone/ Fax- (689) 56.14.70/ or 56.23.22

Ecological tour of Moorea's lagoon and surrounding open waters specializing in Dolphin and whale watching. (see details above)

Fresh tropical fruit drinks are provided and round trip transfers included. Don't forget your cameras!

Hope that helps.

Mike.

Archived