Games Amongst Ourselves

kylafilmgirl

I was just curious if anyone has any "games" they play with their family/friends while cruising? And I'm not talking about bringing a deck of cards or travel Scrabble.

On my second cruise, my family and I kept running into this heavyset gentleman EVERYWHERE on the ship. At first I thought this was crazy, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it IS possible to cross paths with a complete stranger multiple times over the course of a cruise (I mean, it's not like you can just up and leave ;)). Every time we ran into this gentleman, I swear to you, he was talking about "going to get some Häagen-Dazs." (NOTE: For those unfamiliar with the brand, Häagen-Dazs is ice cream). We affectionately referred to him "Häagen-Dazs" throughout the trip, and didn't realize our encounter with him would lead to the some of the most fun I've had with my family.

We started a game we lovingly call "Häagen-Dazs" and we play it on every cruise we take together. We even have a list of rules to keep it fair! Long story short, within the first 24 hours of getting on a ship, you have to name your "Häagen-Dazs." This is someone you think you will run into multiple times over the course of the cruise. Every time you see that person while cruising, you have to proclaim "Häagen-Dazs!" and you get a point. You get bonus points if you talk to the person you chose or learn something about them. At the end, the person with the most points wins (and the prize is mutually agreed upon at the beginning of the game).

I know it sounds like a ridiculous concept, but it lead to some of the best moments I've had with my family. It also challenged us to talk to new people while aboard the cruise.

Because it has to be said, I want everyone to know we didn't stalk these people or follow them around creepily. It is more of a "Hey, look, my Häagen-Dazs is at the buffet!" or "I can't believe Häagen-Dazs ALSO wanted to see this show!"

Does anyone else have little games or rituals like this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My friends and I play a similar game when we travel together, it works especially well when traveling to amusement parks. Players earn points for every fanny-pack sighting, bonus points if the fanny-pack wearer is also sporting a mullet. :) We don't use formal prizes, but winner gets bragging rights.

One is very easy and self expalainatory. It is called banana hammock.

in 2009 we went on a cruise and there was the happiest family I have ever seen. The patriarch was over the top happy and touchy about EVERYTHING. It got annoying by the second day. He would be the only one giving a standing ovation for something undeserving, he would ALWAYS clap with his hands way up high in the air, he would get up and dance with the waiters, was in almost every game, and if he wasnt then he was cheering everyone on.

One night in the bar there was some game and not enough chairs and he let his teenage daughter sit on his lap and she was so happy to do it. So he had one arm around the little lady and one around his teenage son who was sitting on the floor. He was rubbing their backs and coo'ing to them. Nothing illegal, just weird. And we are very affectionate in my family but not to this level.

And this guy could have been a cancer survior or dying, who knows. Glad I didnt know becuase it makes our game fun.

It is called Inappropriate Touching. We even do it to each other now but we like to find the one family that does it over board.

Archived