Great Stirrup Cay

njrover0216

I have heard a vast amount of information about this island, however, some of the information is outdated. Some have mentioned it has improved greatly. I was wondering if anyone that has been there the past year or so can answer my questions. Some people say there are plenty of chairs, some say there are not enough chairs. Even though we are a family of 4, I would only take 2 chairs, because I would never want to be that greedy to other famlies. I would just like someplace to sit down. Should we worry about seating? Also should we consider getting something that allows us to have shade? Some people say there is plenty of shade, some say there is no shade:/ Should I get life vests for my children who are 3 and 7.

If you need shade, I encourage you to book clam shells soon after you board ($30). You will get a priority tender ticket, and have a shady spot. I've heard only some are ventilated, so look for them.

We've never done vests at the beach (live an hour away). We have a pool, so our kids learned to swim early on (mandatory year-round swim lessons, whether or not they wanted them), but I would say to keep your 3 year old right by your side.

Does a clam shell come with a chair as well? I am not sure what they are?

We reserved a clam last April. It did come with two chairs. Besides piling our stuff on the chairs the clam shell was a waste of money for us. I personally would not rent one again because we just didn't use it.

We reserved a clam last April. It did come with two chairs. Besides piling our stuff on the chairs the clam shell was a waste of money for us. I personally would not rent one again because we just didn't use it.

Thanks:) If renting a shell guarantees me a few chairs I am all for it!

Where on the ship do you go to rent a Clam Shell? I assume once you get to the beach it's obvious where to go to get it. Am I correct?

Thanks,

On your first sea day, go to the excursion desk and rent the clamshell there. $29.99 and it includes two beach chairs and priority tender ticket to get there early if you wish to.

As someone stated, get one with ventilation screen as it can get very hot. They are first come first served and are very close together. Yes, you can't miss them when you get to the beach. Large blue canvas awning covering two beach chairs.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On your first sea day, go to the excursion desk and rent the clamshell there. $29.99 and it includes two beach chairs and priority tender ticket to get there early if you wish to.

As someone stated, get one with ventilation screen as it can get very hot. They are first come first served and are very close together. Yes, you can't miss them when you get to the beach. Large blue canvas awning covering two beach chairs.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the information!!

I've read on several posts that they can be very hot. Also have read that if you're not in the front row you are basically looking at the back of the clam shell in front of you. I'm not sure how much I like the prospect of either of those two situations. Does anybody have any insight on this?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

We rented one last March, and the charge was put on our account total for $29.99. There was no-one we saw to tip, so I can't say how you would do so. If you got their earlier than we did, there may have been someone arranging the clamshells.

But we never saw anyone like that. We got there a little later as we had three kids in tow, and we got the second or third row back, which was definitely hot at mid-day.

We rented one last March, and the charge was put on our account total for $29.99. There was no-one we saw to tip, so I can't say how you would do so. If you got their earlier than we did, there may have been someone arranging the clamshells.

But we never saw anyone like that. We got there a little later as we had three kids in tow, and we got the second or third row back, which was definitely hot at mid-day.

I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. Can you move the clamshells? I saw a picture of a whole row of them in front of the Cabanas, this is the beach I definitely want to be on since it seems quieter than the first, but I would like to be a little closer to the water than what the picture shows. I apologize if this seems a silly question but I have never used one before and this our first time at GSC. Thanks for any help!

Edited by Sorin174

I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. Can you move the clamshells? I saw a picture of a whole row of them in front of the Cabanas, this is the beach I definitely want to be on since it seems quieter than the first, but I would like to be a little closer to the water than what the picture shows. I apologize if this seems a silly question but I have never used one before and this our first time at GSC. Thanks for any help!

When we were there last April, the clams could not be moved.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I read somewhere that there is a stingray excursion..than I have heard that it was discontinued? Any info....how is the snorkeling as well..I hear that there is a trail...any info would be great

• 2 weeks later...

I was there at Christmas and had a conversation with one of the guys who lives there & takes care of the island. With the damage from Hurricane Sandy, they lost the stingray enclosure & the stingrays took off. Not sure if this has been fixed.

Edited by khaide612

• 6 months later...

So what can you actually do in Great Stirrup Cay? I am going there in Feb with MSC and the last thing I want to do is sit on a beach/chair all day. The MSC website doesn't list any excursions for it and trip advisor doesn't bring up much either?