Venice, shuttle?

kimanjo

I pulled this from the Shuttle List thread:

Venice: No shuttle but dock is in easy walking distance to the Alilaguna pier which will take you to St Marks or to the People Mover which will take you to Piazzale Roma where you can get a vaporatto.

Question, does Oceania always dock at Alilaguna pier?

We will be arriving by train to (station S. Lucia), and am trying to figure how to get to the ship.

Any help would be great. If I know the correct pier, I can go from there in my research.

J.

Alilaguna is a type of water transport

http://www.alilaguna.com/?lang=en

The ports are Marittima, santa marta & San Basilio

http://www.port.venice.it/en/terminals.html

I could not find the cruise schedule hopefully it will be in your documents

This site has a lot of good info

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruises.htm

Lyn

The smaller "R" ships often berth at San Basilio which is easy to get to from the train station by the number 2 vaporetto going the opposite direction from San Marco. There would be a small bridge to cross. Not sure where the "O" ships usually are docked, but the site Lyn mentions has lots of option if its at Marittima.

We were on Riviera that embarked from Maritima in November. The train shuttle is relatively easy. However, with luggage in tow, its a challenge once you get to the cruise "stop." The escalators were out, there is one tiny elevator that can hold three people and there was no Oceania shuttle bus available to the pier. As other cruise ships also are docked at that "stop", the train shuttle had at least 50 people getting off on embarkation day with luggage.

Hopefully, the station has repaired the escalator but if not, that one elevator is not sufficient to handle the demand. If Oceania's shuttle bus is not available, you can walk to the pier with your luggage but its about 1/2 mile walk from the train stop at Maritima.

Incidentally, if you are coming to the Piazzale Roma (where the port train shuttle is), from St. Mark's, consider taking the vaporetti #52. That one makes far fewer (1/2) of the stops that the #1 or 2 make and the drop off is much closer to the train entrance that walking across P. Roma with the horde of buses.

Hi

Sorry, we are on the Venice to Athens on May 5, 2013 on the Riviera.

We are DIY'ers so all info has been great. We always use public transportation to get around so any information is really helpful. I should add we are light packers, my leather satchel as a carryon, and a 24 " wheel-y.

Thanks very much.

J.

Then taking the train shuttle from Piazzale Roma will be a breeze! Take vaporetti #1, 2 or 52 (#52 is quicker and closer) from your hotel to P. Roma, get off & walk to the train shuttle stop - about 2 minutes & well marked. Its not really a train - more like a monorail or the system used in many airports such as Atlanta & DC. Cost is 1 euro per person one way, machines give change but have several euro coins to make it easier (you may want to return to Venice from the ship via the train shuttle later on in the day). Get off at the first shuttle stop, the last stop is the giant car park which you don't want (called Tronchetto).

Hopefully, there will be an Oceania bus at the station to deliver you to the ship. If not, there are sidewalks and arrows to the ship and the ship will be visible from the shuttle station. If you were to have a lot of luggage, it is definitely more of a hassle getting on/off the shuttle and then walking to the ship. Your way allows you greater flexibility.

You can arrange for private water taxi to take you from your hotel to the dock, relatively close to where your ship will be birthed. But that will be at a hefty price. If you are in Venice for several days, you should look into buying a multi-day pass for the vaporetti. One way ticket is 7 euro vs. 7 day pass at 50 euros (= 1 trip per day pays for the pass). You can buy a 24 hour, 3 day or other combo passes which are worth it cost-wise.

So, a vaporetto to Piazzale Roma with a pass will be roughly 2-4 euros depending on your prior usage, then a 1 euro charge from P. Roma on the train shuttle to the Maritimma where the ship is. Total 4-5 euros vs. the charge for a private water taxi. Big difference.

Archived