Beware if You Drive to Florida to Cruise on RCI

kingsgirl

I don't know anything other than what I've read in this thread about this, but AS SOMEONE LIVING, WORKING, PLAYING IN CENTRAL FLORIDA, I will say that the single most dangerous aspect of my daily life is driving in the tourist corridors.

I'm not sure if these people are from Bumpkinville, Iowa or Draculaville, Romania, but at least once a day (not a hyperbole) I see something scary by someone in a rental car or one with out of state plates.

Yesterday, I was sitting at a red light. The intersection was 5 lanes across: 2 lanes on the other side, 2 straight lanes & a left turn lane on my side. Tourist looking at their GPS instead of the road decided to turn into my side. He slammed on his brakes and stopped about 2 feet in front of my stationary car.

Saturday, I was in the middle lane of 5 on the interstate: 4 lanes of traffic and an exit lane. A mini-van with Ontario plates decided that going from the left lane to the exit lane in one move was the best way to make sure they didn't have to drive another half mile to the next exit. WHOOOOOSH. About 30-40 cars had to hit the brakes to let this person make this incredibly stupid manuever.

Every day. It is our life here.

People, this was a glitch... an error.. you no longer need it. Please see the latest announcements linked a few posts above.

This is incorrect.

The law is still on the books until revoked or declared void by a court.

The lack of enforcement by the police does not void the law. It just means they won't arrest you over it.

An insurance company could use it to weasel out of paying for a rental car accident, since your license is not valid in FL. Do you really want to litigate constitutionality and foreign treaties in court? If I had a Canadian license I'd get the IDP unless I had a written statement from my insurance company covering this.

Doesn't matter where you are from, Ontario or elsewhere, there are problem drivers everywhere, tourists or not. I lived, worked and played in Florida and saw many Florida state drivers also make mistakes nearly causing accidents. Having an IDP will not lessen this. This thread was about that.

We are going to get the IDP for 3 reasons.

I am quite unconvinced that every county will not enforce the law. A lot of counties make a lot of revenue from tickets, especially out of towners, so we will get it just to be sure.

We are going to use it as our off ship ID. (yes I know it is not a govt issued ID)

Takes away any opportunity for our insurance company to weasel their way out on a technicality.

We will just consider it a part of the cost of driving to Florida.

Nothing like writing legislations with a sledgehammer rather than a scapel. Where they were probably trying to targeet one specific group, they probably realized they could not point out one group so they brought out the sledgehammer to target everyone.

I don't know anything other than what I've read in this thread about this, but AS SOMEONE LIVING, WORKING, PLAYING IN CENTRAL FLORIDA, I will say that the single most dangerous aspect of my daily life is driving in the tourist corridors.

I'm not sure if these people are from Bumpkinville, Iowa or Draculaville, Romania, but at least once a day (not a hyperbole) I see something scary by someone in a rental car or one with out of state plates.

Yesterday, I was sitting at a red light. The intersection was 5 lanes across: 2 lanes on the other side, 2 straight lanes & a left turn lane on my side. Tourist looking at their GPS instead of the road decided to turn into my side. He slammed on his brakes and stopped about 2 feet in front of my stationary car.

Saturday, I was in the middle lane of 5 on the interstate: 4 lanes of traffic and an exit lane. A mini-van with Ontario plates decided that going from the left lane to the exit lane in one move was the best way to make sure they didn't have to drive another half mile to the next exit. WHOOOOOSH. About 30-40 cars had to hit the brakes to let this person make this incredibly stupid manuever.

Every day. It is our life here.

The joys of living in a tourist mecca. I have my own rules of the road manifesto/rant for many of our friends visiting here from - CA, OH, NY, NJ, KY, NC, VA, IL, etc.

1. When you almost pass your left turn you do not have to immediately slam on brakes and make the turn. There will be another opportunity about 100 yds down the road.

2. This is my home, please do not drive through my 15 mph neighborhood at 45 mph unless you plan to leave your card so I can return the favor when I'm visiting your town.

3. Yes, it is called the Atlantic Ocean. If you park the car in the designated areas you can gaze at it all day long. instead of parking in the middle of the street to gawk.

4. Please note, our addresses work much the same as yours. So, if you are in the 300 block and you are looking for the 1500's, you will arrive at your cottage before midnight if you stop slowing down every 50 feet to check the address.

5. Deacceleration lanes are your friends (mine too).

6. Yes, we have red light, green lights and yellow lights. They probably look familiar to you. Please, I don't know the laws in your town but we do frown on left turns on red.

etc, etc.

Well now I can see how welcome visitors are to Florida, thanks. When the state decides to provide adequate public transport that is comprehensive, then and only then may you be able to drive in your own state unemcumbered by us 'foreigners' in our polluting gas guzzlers.

Sorry to be such a nuisance, but then again you do welcome our tourist $$$. Which way do you want it?

Well now I can see how welcome visitors are to Florida, thanks. When the state decides to provide adequate public transport that is comprehensive, then and only then may you be able to drive in your own state unemcumbered by us 'foreigners' in our polluting gas guzzlers.

Sorry to be such a nuisance, but then again you do welcome our tourist $$$. Which way do you want it?

Yes we welcome all of our tourists and will be glad to take all your $$$ (you do keep up from having a state income tax) but if you do not like these new laws then just stay home. We are not forcing you to come here and vacation. There are plenty of places you can go with great beaches and sunny weather.

Yes we welcome all of our tourists and will be glad to take all your $$$ (you do keep up from having a state income tax) but if you do not like these new laws then just stay home. We are not forcing you to come here and vacation. There are plenty of places you can go with great beaches and sunny weather.
I didn't say I don't like the new laws, I've been driving in FL when on vacation since 1980. What I don't like is the insinuation that all visitors to FL are bad drivers.:D

I didn't say I don't like the new laws, I've been driving in FL when on vacation since 1980. What I don't like is the insinuation that all visitors to FL are bad drivers.:D

Not that, but unfortunately, in tourist areas we have too many visitors who leave their common sense at home. Also, in my area, our local drivers are not much better. ;)

For me I have become over aware of my driving when visiting other areas. When we do miss a turn or do something stupid we will frequently laugh and say they will see our out of state tags and blame it on us being tourists. :D

The governor and legislature of Florida do not agree with you.

This law was misworded and will be amended.

Florida Governor's Statement

"We will work with the Legislature to amend the law this year so it does not burden international visitors to our state, who make up an important part of our tourism industry," said John Tupps, a Scott spokesman.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20130219/politics/130219320

Statement from Rep. Ben Albritton (who originally introduced the bill)

"This one I just missed. I want to tell the people in Canada I am sorry," Albritton told the Tampa Bay Times. "If I messed something up, I am man enough to fix it."

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/19/17021828-florida-lawmakers-apologize-to-canada-over-english-language-drivers-license-law?lite

This applies equally to Brits.

I'm ok with out of country tourists needing a special license in FL. Other countries do it so it so I'm not sure it is decided that it violates international law (which really has no teeth anyhow).

Not that some piece of paper would help but the driving by people with tags just to the north of the good old USA is absolutely horrible on average. Certainly not all of them, but the dominant majority are just plain dangerous. I'm quite sure a $25-100 license isn't going to keep any Brit or Canadian away from Florida as it is such a cheap place for them to visit. Cheap prices and great currency conversion for the Brits and super low prices due to low taxes for the Canadians. Heck, I think some of them would come down for the Sunshine and cheap cigs alone.

I'm more frustrated over the fact that the law wasn't more publicized. I mean, how were people supposed to ever find out about this decision unless they got pulled over by a cop?

That is a good point. I wouldn't be surprised if some small town cops tried to exploit it for ticket money. We have a relatively new law in Ohio (A good law) that I've seen a small town here try to profit off it by issuing tickets and most people didn't know the law and just accept it. In my case, I knew the law word for word and refused to accept the ticket until I explained the law to the officer and wouldn't back down. (which he did) If he insisted, I would have taken the ticket to court and fought it, but he relented when he knew I was right and on to their scam.

I'm ok with out of country tourists needing a special license in FL.

The law was originally designed to ensure that Florida police wouldn't have to decipher driver's licenses in foreign languages. It failed to take into account the fact that Canadian and British licenses are already in English, so the law as written does not make sense. Florida government officials admit that and will amend the law.

The law was originally designed to ensure that Florida police wouldn't have to decipher driver's licenses in foreign languages. It failed to take into account the fact that Canadian and British licenses are already in English, so the law as written does not make sense. Florida government officials admit that and will amend the law.

What about the French Canadians? Also, there are many other countries that have visitor to Florida besides Canada and the UK. Never heard of the law but not sure what the huge uproar is about. I see where you are coming from though. I guess it will get sorted out soon enough.

I don't see Canada and the UK advertising in FL about their new laws. Isn't it kind of up to your local news papers to stay on top of legal changes that impact a large number of their readers? Stop blaming Florida and consider that perhaps you local media isn't doing their job. It is hard for me to believe that they didn't know about this during the whole process of the law being passed. At every capital there are hundreds/thousands of lobbyists, media, PR folks that constantly disseminate and report on such information. Certainly the UK and Canada had press affiliates that were in the know on this.

Drive safe everyone!

This is incorrect.

The law is still on the books until revoked or declared void by a court.

The lack of enforcement by the police does not void the law. It just means they won't arrest you over it.

An insurance company could use it to weasel out of paying for a rental car accident, since your license is not valid in FL. Do you really want to litigate constitutionality and foreign treaties in court? If I had a Canadian license I'd get the IDP unless I had a written statement from my insurance company covering this.

You are 100% spot on. Our local Sheriff outright said his deputies would not enforce this, but made it clear it is still the law.....meaning that while a Canadian pulled over for a traffic violation may not get in trouble, a Canadian who causes an accident and doesn't have it could very well get jammed up.

So yes, I highly recommend that while this law is on the books, Canadians get a IDP.

What about the French Canadians? Also, there are many other countries that have visitor to Florida besides Canada and the UK. Never heard of the law but not sure what the huge uproar is about. I see where you are coming from though. I guess it will get sorted out soon enough.

It was actually the Quebec branch of the Canadian Automobile Association that first raised a flag about the new law.

Quebec licenses, despite being in French, might also be exempted since Florida police are probably used to seeing them. There is also an established relationship between Quebec and Florida motor vehicle agencies to exchange information so that reckless driving offenses in Florida can result in license suspension in Quebec. But I agree we will have to wait and see.

Do you think canadians and brits are the only tourists that come here. There are people from all over the world who visit florida and drive here. The law makes complete sense.

Most are bad drivers. I see it on a daily basis where someone from out of the country (cough...cough...Canada) is going 30 in a 45 or on I95 going 20mph under the speed limit. That is just dangerous.

Do you think canadians and brits are the only tourists that come here. There are people from all over the world who visit florida and drive here. The law makes complete sense.

So amend and reword the law so it accomplishes its intended purpose without inconveniencing those whose licenses are already in English? I don't understand your objection.

Even the author of the law agrees that it was misworded.

Most are bad drivers. I see it on a daily basis where someone from out of the country (cough...cough...Canada) is going 30 in a 45 or on I95 going 20mph under the speed limit. That is just dangerous.

How many other foreign country plates do you see? Maybe Mexico since it's also drivable?

How many other foreign country plates do you see? Maybe Mexico since it's also drivable?

Well the only foreign plates we ever see here are Canada but the very bad drivers from Canada are from Quebec. We all dance in the streets when we see the car moving trucks arrive to drive the cars back up north.

Archived