Beware if You Drive to Florida to Cruise on RCI

kingsgirl

It is not arrogance. It is a driving fact in Florida.

Slant it all you want, but people won't be hitting up MB in the winter regardless.

Not just the driving, the attitude of some of the other posters towards tourists and Canadians in particular. I thought the biggest hazzard to driving in Florida were the folks heading out to the early bird specials who have to look through the steering wheel to see the road. The most frightened I've been in a car in many many years was with my elderly BIL driving in Jacksonville. :eek:

We are getting more and more snowbirds and people relocating here who used to go to Florida.

Just sayin. ;)

It is not arrogance. It is a driving fact in Florida.

Exactly. It's just a conversation about driving habits. No more. No one is saying Florida doesn't have bad drivers.....I'm sure Florida blue hairs annoy drivers of other states when they park themselves in the left lane, and anytme you drive through Miami, you take your life in your own hands. But that doesn't mean we don't recognize certain driving patterns associated with certain other states or provinces.

Not just the driving, the attitude of some of the other posters towards tourists and Canadians in particular. I thought the biggest hazzard to driving in Florida were the folks heading out to the early bird specials who have to look through the steering wheel to see the road. The most frightened I've been in a car in many many years was with my elderly BIL driving in Jacksonville. :eek:

We are getting more and more snowbirds and people relocating here who used to go to Florida.

Just sayin. ;)

I have to say, you're right about the attitude towards Canadians. A lot have choosen to go to other states during the winter because of it. Most of the time, we just use Florida as a jumping off point to "ship" out. We used to rent a car and stay a few days in Florida prior to cruising. That has pretty well stopped because of the attitude.

Slant it all you want, but people won't be hitting up MB in the winter regardless.

Myrtle Beach is now a year round destination, and it always has been for Canadians.

Myrtle Beach is now a year round destination, and it always has been for Canadians.

Good, myrtle beach can keep the canadians. We really don't care for them much down here, especially the restaurant workers and people who drive for a living.

Good, myrtle beach can keep the canadians. We really don't care for them much down here, especially the restaurant workers and people who drive for a living.

That is an incredibly arrogant statement. You don't speak for the state of Florida.

Something tells me restaurant workers and taxi drivers are very, very glad to have Canadian tourists.

Perhaps you should relocate to a less traveled different part of the state if tourists offend you so much?

This may have been said previously, but I believe one of the main reasons for asking Canadians for an international drivers license is because the Quebec license is 100% in French.

Since there are a lot of Quebecers that drive down to Florida for the winter, I suppose the FHP got aggrevated enough to request a change, but they (as we are all talking about) have since rescinded the request.

My brother, a long time service industry guy in Myrtle Beach, wholeheartedly disagrees with you. Unless this magically changed in the last year.

He finally gave up on that dream and moved away SPECIFICALLY because of how dead that entire area gets for 3-4 months a year. Granted he is more of a grasshopper than an ant... but fables aside, he says it is insanely dead in the winter.

ETA:

I'm not saying that NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON goes there, because you obviously see some, but generally it is dead.

That is an incredibly arrogant statement. You don't speak for the state of Florida.

Something tells me restaurant workers and taxi drivers are very, very glad to have Canadian tourists.

Perhaps you should relocate to a less traveled different part of the state if tourists offend you so much?

Ummm, I am not talking about taxi drivers. I am referring to truck drivers, ups, FedEx, etc....

Also, Canadians are known as some of the worst tippers in the industry. I have heard stories from wait staff where they would leave a few dollars for a $100 bill.

Way to generalize there bud. It's like Americans don't ever go to a restaurant.

Are there bad apples in every basket? Of course. Should we paint everyone with the same brush? Uhhh, no.

Some Canadians probably tip poorly, while some Americans are probably obnoxious and condescending....

My brother, a long time service industry guy in Myrtle Beach, wholeheartedly disagrees with you. Unless this magically changed in the last year.

He finally gave up on that dream and moved away SPECIFICALLY because of how dead that entire area gets for 3-4 months a year. Granted he is more of a grasshopper than an ant... but fables aside, he says it is insanely dead in the winter.

ETA:

I'm not saying that NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON goes there, because you obviously see some, but generally it is dead.

Of course it's not like summer. However, with all the resorts, golf courses, shopping, and show venues, they no longer put the traffic lights on blink the day after Labor Day.

Remember, dead is relative.

"the canadians" generalize much?

We visit Florida every year, and have since I was a kid (going on 45 years that I can remember). I've never experienced any ill-will or off-putting attitudes from Floridians. It's a great place to visit.

I'm sure your economy relies more on the Canadian tourist dollar that you realize.

I also understand that your attitude is probably in the minority within your state.

ETA:

You are correct. Even northern Florida is not "warm" in the winter months. When we travel south, most of us are looking for weather in the 80's, not 60's.

I am a history buff and thus aware that Canadians fought with us in WW2, they landed at Dieppe in 1943 and again in Normandy in 1944. The first Canadian army under Harry Crerar then fought its way into Germany.

Canadians will always be welcome in my state.

Also, Canadians are known as some of the worst tippers in the industry. I have heard stories from wait staff where they would leave a few dollars for a $100 bill.

Do you have any links, articles, studies, to support this? I've never heard of this. I have read that Europeans tend to tip less because it's not as common as it is here in North America, but Canada is generally like the States when is comes to the tipping culture (with some notable differences).

Perhaps you might be talking about those who have "Je Me Souviens" on their license plates (Quebec). Their culture is more European than "Canadian".

Oh, come on. We'd be wearing jackets, yet always see crazy Canadians swimming in the ocean at Myrtle Beach.

By the way, I recall hearing a news story that claimed Canadians were the best loved nationality. From my experience, they deserve that honor.

I'm the OP, and I have no idea how this has turned into a Canadians vs. American's thread.

Thank you specifically to those who have stood up for myself and other fellow Canadians.

LOL - Welcome to Cruise Critic, where any thread can be turned into a debate! ;)

Uh huh. Kind of like that pink stripe North Carolina wants to put on certain DLs.

I wasn't familiar with that and looked it up. Yep, exactly what I was thinking.

Do you have any links, articles, studies, to support this? I've never heard of this. I have read that Europeans tend to tip less because it's not as common as it is here in North America, but Canada is generally like the States when is comes to the tipping culture (with some notable differences).

Perhaps you might be talking about those who have "Je Me Souviens" on their license plates (Quebec). Their culture is more European than "Canadian".

Yes, I am talking about those Canadians from the french region. Generally those are the only canadians we see here. I guess I am lumping all canadians together.....woops.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/12/us-restos-slap-quebeckers-with-tax-for-being-bad-tippers

I have read that many mom and pop type of restaurants are now adding automatic gratuity (like cruise ships) for those who they think are from Canada/brits/etc...

ETA:

I love Myrtle Beach in about the October Time Frame (We go there sometimes when not cruising)...Not too Hot and not too cold and you don't have to deal with the big crowds and long lines at restaurants or the traffic nightmare as you do during the summer months!

I love Myrtle Beach in about the October Time Frame (We go there sometimes when not cruising)...Not too Hot and not too cold and you don't have to deal with the big crowds and long lines at restaurants or the traffic nightmare as you do during the summer months!

I believe the 3-4 months is Dec-Feb with maybe some Nov/Mar on the bookends

Ummm, I am not talking about taxi drivers. I am referring to truck drivers, ups, FedEx, etc....

Don't lump us West Coast Canadians with the Eastern Canadians! :eek::rolleyes:

We tip just fine out here!:D

Archived